Guide - 1750 Turbo oil feed replacement (Revised Part) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 6Likes
  • 4 Post By Chris155
  • 1 Post By realslimshady
  • 1 Post By Chris155

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 30-06-18 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Guide - 1750 Turbo oil feed replacement (Revised Part)

From what I understand, by reason of the High Pressure (HP) oil feed pipe to the turbo's proximity to the turbo itself, it gets extremely hot, cooking the oil inside it which forms carbon deposits, restricting oil flow.

The solution is the revised part from the Giulietta which is shielded.

IMG_8678 by Chris, on Flickr

PN of the revised part is 55258147
Note - It comes with banjo bolts and seals

PN of the seals for the coolant pipe are ???

Before starting this, I found some threads saying it can't be replaced with out removing the turbo but we found a way.

1. Remove both of the turbo heat shields, if I have to tell you how to do this then you may wish to reconsider changing the pipe and finding someone to do it for you...

2. Unbolt the 2 8mm self tappers that hold the bracket with all the vacuum control hoses and solenoids etc to the back of the radiator, disconnect what you need to and move it out of the way. It's well worth it as it gets in the way - I didn't bother and it did all the way through the job.

3. You have to unbolt and remove the coolant feed to the turbo. Start by clamping the hose to the right of the turbo and disconnect it from the hard pipe;

coolant pipe by Chris, on Flickr

4. Next, unbolt the coolant feed pipe from the turbo, it's a banjo bolt and will snap off easily so do it gently. (Think its an E60 torx head).

coolant hose bolt under manifold by Chris, on Flickr

IMG_8676 by Chris, on Flickr

5. Rescuing the seals either side of the banjo, pull the pipe out from the car.

6. You can now get your hand in to feel the banjo bolt that secures the HP oil feed pipe to the turbo. You can't really see it though. But access is reasonably good in relative terms... It's under the manfold, here; (note the spanner, which is attached to the bolt.

under here by Chris, on Flickr

It's outlined in green here, behind the coolant feed pipe;

HP banjo by Chris, on Flickr

7. Using some form of aerosol cleaner, carb or brake, clean the area around the bolt as best you can of dirt etc so that it doesn't end up inside the turbo.

8. The problem is, it's very difficult to get a spanner on the banjo bolt. You may be able to cut down a 17mm ring spanner but I used a double bendy ratchet spanner with an adaptor (halfords) and a socket. The holt head size is 17mm.

IMG_7904 by Chris, on Flickr

Once you've got something on it and the bolt is loose, it's easy enough to undo by hand. Again, be sure to rescue both of the seals with the banjo bolt.

9. Next, unbolt the other end of the pipe (Revised part shown fitted here);

IMG_7905 by Chris, on Flickr

Which is another 17mm banjo bolt (original part shown fitted in the close up);

hp feed engine by Chris, on Flickr

10. And that's it, pull the pipe out and replace it. Make sure you use new seals when refitting the HP oil pipe (it comes with them) and the coolant pipe, otherwise it'll probably leak. And be aware when tightening them that they do not need to be very tight, being hollow, the bolts will snap easily and then you'll be pulling the turbo out, whilst trying to figure out how to get the remains of the bolt out.

11. Refit the oil feed to the turbo 1st...

12. When refitting the oil feed from the engine, not there is a V bracket on the pipe that fits around a bit protruding from the engine to orientate it correctly.

Last edited by Chris155; 30-06-18 at 19:10.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Thank you for the great guide. I believe the modified oil feed part number is: 55258147.
(Post Link) post #3 of 13 Old 30-06-18 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Thank you for the great guide. I believe the modified oil feed part number is: 55258147.
It is (found the bag it came in), thanks.
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Garage
just ordered one of these for my newly-acquired 159 TI :-) about 55 from the dealer.
(Post Link) post #5 of 13 Old 25-08-18 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by realslimshady View Post
just ordered one of these for my newly-acquired 159 TI :-) about 55 from the dealer.

Thanks for taking the time to take some quality pictures and post them up with a helpful and well-written guide. I owe you a beer.
You're welcome, no problem.
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris155 View Post
You're welcome, no problem.
Just done this, actually more straightforward than I expected-used a cut-down offset ring spanner on the awkward bolt.
And you're right Chris-I do owe you a beer!
Chris155 likes this.
peagles

Did you change this from the top of the engine or underneath? I will have access to ramps at the weekend so wondering if it would make the job easier?

(Post Link) post #8 of 13 Old 08-01-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

From the top.
peagles

Great, thanks. Good to know I can tackle this anytime then.

peagles

I hate being ill prepared for jobs so have been looking at the best tool to use to get at that awkward 17mm banjo bolt.

Would a stubby flexi head ratchet like this be okay for the job? https://www.halfords.com/workshop-to...by-ratchet-3-8

I'm a bit reluctant to get a flexi head spanner as it probably would only ever get used for this one job!

AO Member

County: Midlothian

Member car:

159TBI Ti.

Tricky, but easy job from top.
(Post Link) post #12 of 13 Old 15-01-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peagles View Post
I hate being ill prepared for jobs so have been looking at the best tool to use to get at that awkward 17mm banjo bolt.

Would a stubby flexi head ratchet like this be okay for the job? https://www.halfords.com/workshop-to...by-ratchet-3-8

I'm a bit reluctant to get a flexi head spanner as it probably would only ever get used for this one job!
That's unlikely to work. I had to use a 10mm bendy spanner with a 3/8" drive adaptor through it driving a 17mm socket as the combined height of a ratchet and 17mm socket was too much.
peagles likes this.

County: -

Member car:

159 SW Tbi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris155 View Post
That's unlikely to work. I had to use a 10mm bendy spanner with a 3/8" drive adaptor through it driving a 17mm socket as the combined height of a ratchet and 17mm socket was too much.
Hello Chris,

Thank you for this guide, I already order this pipe and I waiting for change it I see a lot of owners of alfa 159 tbi here on this forum. I have big questing for all, do someone have problem with original pipe and turbo, like problem with oil supply to turbo and bolt filter?
I asking because I hear for someone that is better to remove filter from bolt and safer, because filter can clog during time and oil cannot support turbo and turbo will be burned. Have someone more experience with this situation?

Best regards

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
1750 , feed , guide , oil , part , replacement , revised , turbo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page