My Alfa 159 modifications thread - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 26Likes

AO Member

County: -
I've gone for HID headlights and LED sidelights. I've hands like shovels so doing the main beem is a epic fail before I start unless anyone knows a secret of the pro's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Avon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan3483 View Post
I've gone for HID headlights and LED sidelights. I've hands like shovels so doing the main beem is a epic fail before I start unless anyone knows a secret of the pro's
on the passenger side you can get a huge amount more access by removing the battery and just unbolting (but leave plugged etc) the ECU thing and just move it out of the way.

The driver's side is hampered by the belt which is a pain.
AO Member

County: Cornwall
So have just received the LED H7's same as the OP posted, got the passenger side in no problem, drivers side though I can't get the backing plate cover on.
Looking through the front of the lights it looks as though the light unit isn't as far forward as the other side. Does anyone know how to adjust this and move the unit forward?
AO Silver Member

With these LED units linked earlier, I have them now and they do get rather hot despite the fan so not sure about using them on dipped beam just yet, maybe just main beam.

However, which way round should it be mounted? the LED is blade shaped, so should the flat LED patches face up-down or side-side?

I also notice mine seems to be able to wiggle around once in place - not the metal secured by the cage, but the bulb unit which slides in....have I not secured it properly or is this something you have experienced as well?

Current:
2008 159 2.4 JTDm Lusso Sportwagon Q-Tronic
2003 166 3.0 V6 Super

Past:
1999 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo
2006 Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJet
AO Silver Member

never mind, have fitted them flat side outwairds rather than upwards from a pic i saw online...I'll see how it looks when its dark.

fitted them to my main beam and the cap fits over perfectly - like it was meant to be!
(Post Link) post #81 of 134 Old 26-10-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Great that they fit in the main beam. I think I'll order a second set for my main beam.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirafioriman View Post
Great that they fit in the main beam. I think I'll order a second set for my main beam.
yeh they fit better than the dipped beam it seems...they wont fit under the dust cover/caps for the dipped beam but do for the main beam.

However, it is a royal pain in the neck (and fingers) to do! I suggest moving the ECU out of the way and maybe even battery, and on the driver's side you can slightly unclip the hose over the top but other than that its a proper b*****d!
AO Member

Quote:
Managed to adjust the dipped beam to get the driver bulb in and back on, will be interesting to see if this has an effect on where the beam goes tonight or if I blind anyone...
I'm assuming for your dipped you kept the backs on the lights and haven't had any issues with heat?

Did you find any good LEDs for the side lamps? Now the dipped are done the sides looks pants!
(Post Link) post #84 of 134 Old 27-10-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

So far so good with the dipped beam bulbs. No problems so far. I got some of these for the sidelights and number plate lights. Also used them in the interior lights.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F382134273973
AO Silver Member

Quote:
So far so good with the dipped beam bulbs. No problems so far. I got some of these for the sidelights and number plate lights. Also used them in the interior lights.

what are you doing for your other bulbs? Indicators, and tail lights? I've not manage to find any errorfree bulbs that are actually error free!
(Post Link) post #86 of 134 Old 27-10-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Just leaving them as standard bulbs.
Larry92 likes this.
(Post Link) post #87 of 134 Old 25-02-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

Very small one this.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180225_154619_1519595771177.jpg (62.6 KB, 78 views)
AO Member

Quote:

did these fit?
in my experience anything over 10mm diameter will not fit into the slidelight appeture in the headlight. these looks like they will be 14mm wide as the head section is wider than the connector?
(Post Link) post #89 of 134 Old 26-02-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

Yes they fit fine but I gave up on them and went back to standard bulbs as after a month or so they kept failing
(Post Link) post #90 of 134 Old 07-03-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

Not really a modification but the locksmith came today and now my new key blade and a spare key I also got cut works my door locks.

I've wanted this sorted since I got the car incase the car battery went flat or I locked my key in the car. When I got the car I only got one key and the blade part was missing.

Next there's a proper modification coming. More soon.....
(Post Link) post #91 of 134 Old 19-03-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

Well here is the next installment in the modification thread.

I've been considering upgrading to 17" wheels for some time. As the tyres were getting down I started looking around at my options. I came across these on ebay complete with nearly new tyres.

Got them for less than a set of new tyres so it was a bit of a no brainer.

They seem to be quite a rare design although I've seen a few 159s with them they don't seem to be that common.

I gave them a bit of a freshen up over the weekend they're not perfect but much better than the 16s which were terrible! Finally got to fit my new centre caps too.

The first drive was interesting. Heavier steering and a lot more self centering action didn't feel quite right. I knew the pressures would probably need corrected and I wasn't wrong. 16 psi in each! Popped into Sainsbury's for some free air. I'll check them again tomorrow at work when they're cold.

Anyway enough of my rambling there's some photos below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180318_154259_1521492963774.jpg (74.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 20180318_154413_1521492981030.jpg (64.7 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 20180318_182127_1521492999910.jpg (70.9 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 20180319_200740_1521493019015.jpg (54.7 KB, 48 views)
AO Silver Member

Self centreing could also be down to the tyres themselves. Did you fit thr tyres to thr same corner they came off of?

Not sure about landsail tyre....possibly one of thr least confidence giving brand names around haha
(Post Link) post #93 of 134 Old 19-03-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

Since I corrected the pressures self centering seems back to normal so it probably was just the pressures.

Yeah they're probably not the best tyres in the world but they're nearly new and for everyday driving I'm sure they're perfectly fine.

One thing I found interesting was when I was looking at different tyres some expensive so called premium tyres didn't come out much better and in some cases worse in ratings than cheap tyres.

At the end of the day it's a daily driver that I cruise about in. I'm not going to be reaching the limit of the tyres performance.

Modifications cont ...

I've really enjoyed seeing the various light mods you've done with the main headlights etc but has anyone upgraded their fog lights?

I found these on eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-3-Ange...53.m1438.l2649

and wondered if anyone has tried them yet?
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieMeynell View Post
I've really enjoyed seeing the various light mods you've done with the main headlights etc but has anyone upgraded their fog lights?

Seems the halo ring on that has a separate power supply which means you'll have to run a new fused cable to the fuse box and battery I guess.

I have just fitted some some bi-modal LED bulbs to my standard fog lights so I can choose between 6000K white and 3000K amber but no halos - I prefer just the 6 headlamp pod halos, looks crisper I think all in a row
AO Member

County: Torfaen

Member car:

Spider 2.2 LE

Quote:

I have done mine while having her parked up over the winter, as Larry92 says you need to run the angel eye wires separate but no drammer, I run the live wire to the fuse box in the engine bay useing a piggyback fuse, the earth wire can go anywhere suitable various handy places around there.
I didn't use a controller to switch the the DRL angel eyes off when headlights turn on as there well away from the headlights but reading the law on DRL's they should, but I would be surprised if I get pulled for it because they could be sidelights which is ok.
I didn't use the ones in your link the ones I used were 34.80 but had a nice chrome bezel around the lense and fitting wise as they had a fairly small housing so I smashed out my existing lenses and they then fitted into the oringernal housing

I
AO Member

County: Torfaen

Member car:

Spider 2.2 LE

Quote:

I have done mine while having her parked up over the winter, as Larry92 says you need to run the angel eye wires separate but no drammer, I run the live wire to the fuse box in the engine bay useing a piggyback fuse, the earth wire can go anywhere suitable various handy places around there.
I didn't use a controller to switch the the DRL angel eyes off when headlights turn on as there well away from the headlights but reading the law on DRL's they should, but I would be surprised if I get pulled for it because they could be sidelights which is ok.
I didn't use the ones in your link the ones I used were 34.80 but had a nice chrome bezel around the lense and fitting wise as they had a fairly small housing so I smashed out my existing lenses and they then fitted into the oringernal housing

I
AO Member

Quote:
Well here is the next installment in the modification thread.

I've been considering upgrading to 17" wheels for some time. As the tyres were getting down I started looking around at my options. I came across these on ebay complete with nearly new tyres.

Got them for less than a set of new tyres so it was a bit of a no brainer.

They seem to be quite a rare design although I've seen a few 159s with them they don't seem to be that common.

I gave them a bit of a freshen up over the weekend they're not perfect but much better than the 16s which were terrible! Finally got to fit my new centre caps too.

The first drive was interesting. Heavier steering and a lot more self centering action didn't feel quite right. I knew the pressures would probably need corrected and I wasn't wrong. 16 psi in each! Popped into Sainsbury's for some free air. I'll check them again tomorrow at work when they're cold.

Anyway enough of my rambling there's some photos below.
I've got these alloys on my 159. They could do with a refurb / freshen up. Any tips?
(Post Link) post #99 of 134 Old 06-05-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

If you want factory finish it's a bit difficult as the rim and spoke faces are polished and then lacquered whereas the rest is painted silver.

I decided to just flat down the whole lot and paint it all silver. Mine are not quite as good as they should have been. Missed a few bubbles especially in the wheel bolt holes.
(Post Link) post #100 of 134 Old 06-05-18 Thread Starter
AO Member

Yesterday's work....

First of all I added a can of oil flush and let it idle for 20 minutes. Then drained the oil.

Managed to change the filter from above which saved jacking the car up and taking the driver's side wheel off.

Refilled with new oil to just above minimum took it for a quick run to get it warm then added the Xado engine reconditioning treatment. Then after idling for five minutes I checked and corrected the level again.

The treatment takes up to 900 miles to complete the process. I've done about 80 miles so far. Already the engine seems quieter at idle when fully warm.

I'll update the thread as the miles pass by.....

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , alfa , modifications , thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page