My Alfa 159 modifications thread - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 27Likes

(Post Link) post #51 of 139 Old 28-09-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Yes just plug and play. So far so good working fine with no errors. I think there's a link higher up the thread? If not I'll add one later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikko View Post
Like this idea. Which set did you buy, and are they just "plug and play"?
This is the set that i bought.
Its yes and no In regards to plug and play, there is an adapter in the box that you plug into the normal indicator bulb holder. It comes with a tiny Can bus control unit . you just push the led bulb into place. It has a rubber seal that fits snug into the housing. Howerver you need the 12v acc from one of the fuses next to the battery to trigger the drl. Everything is included in the box. It took me 15 mins to fit. I'll upload some pics when I'm back at home
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
(Post Link) post #53 of 139 Old 28-09-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Mine just plugged straight in like a halogen bulb. All electronics are in the bulb unit.
AO Member

County: Lancashire

Member car:

159 TI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirafioriman View Post
Yes just plug and play. So far so good working fine with no errors. I think there's a link higher up the thread? If not I'll add one later.
Any chance of a link for these?
Thanks
(Post Link) post #55 of 139 Old 30-09-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Post number 40 above
AO Member

Just fitted the led bulbs, look better than the hids they replaced in my opinion. You weren't kidding though about the tight fit for the rear caps.
(Post Link) post #57 of 139 Old 01-10-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Tuning boxes up for discussion next. The guy I bought my replacement bonnet from had one on his 2.4 Brera and said it drove much better with more power and better economy.

So I decided to try one on my 1.9. It arrived and I fitted it on the supplied setting number 3 which they say gives the best compromise of performance and economy. I did my usual run of half motorway half fast A road. The fuel computer showed my best ever of 53.5 mpg. However at higher cruising speeds it didn't seem to run very well. After a day or two I tried setting 4 and then 5 which finally seemed to get better high speed performance. Tried my test run again and only managed to achieve 51.5 mpg.

After a few days I decided to revert the car back to standard. I didn't really notice any loss of performance and my test run yielded 51.5 mpg again so no loss of economy.

I did feel that at lower speeds and when accelerating hard from lower gears it pulled better with the tuning box but overall it was a disappointment.

So I'm back to standard and contemplating a remap at some point although to be honest I might just leave it as standard!
simon12 likes this.
AO Member

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfachap5485252 View Post
How bright are the DRL in daylight? Are they really usable as a DRL? Are they bright enough?

Last edited by zipp; 01-10-17 at 17:00.
(Post Link) post #59 of 139 Old 01-10-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Speaking of LED sidelight bulbs I was in Halfords earlier. £15 a pair!
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipp View Post
Quote:
How bright are the DRL in daylight? Are they really usable as a DRL? Are they bright enough?
I find them to have very good light output . Pictures don't do them justice imo.
Day (hid headlight)
night (led headlight).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170918_200756_1506923088354.jpg (108.0 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 20171002_063825_1506923106943.jpg (25.6 KB, 53 views)
AO Member

County: Cornwall
Quote:
Mine just plugged straight in like a halogen bulb. All electronics are in the bulb unit.
Guna order me some of the head light bulbs. I couldn't see, did you post a link to the sidelights?
(Post Link) post #62 of 139 Old 03-10-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

I'm not sure if I posted the link to the sidelight bulbs. I've started having trouble with the sidelight bulbs since yesterday not sure what the problem is yet. So perhaps wait and see how it goes before buying the same ones I did.
Karl_Shad86 likes this.

Last edited by Mirafioriman; 03-10-17 at 21:37.
(Post Link) post #63 of 139 Old 12-10-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

My new pair of sidelight bulbs came today. Slightly different design and these include a built in resistor to prevent issues such as flickering. So far so good but the others seemed fine at first so I'll keep you informed....
Karl_Shad86 likes this.
AO Member

County: Lancashire

Member car:

159 TI

Quote:
My new pair of sidelight bulbs came today. Slightly different design and these include a built in resistor to prevent issues such as flickering. So far so good but the others seemed fine at first so I'll keep you informed....
When you install these switchbacks do you remove the existing sidelight bulb, and if so do you get any bulb out warnings?
Any chance of a link to your new set?
Thanks.
(Post Link) post #65 of 139 Old 14-10-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Remove the standard bulb and replace it with the new. Straight swap. So far no issues or dashboard warnings.
AO Member

County: UK
Garage
Quote:
Just bought a pair. Hoping they have not failed later on in your thread!
AO Member

County: UK
Garage
Quote:
Tuning boxes up for discussion next.
So I'm back to standard and contemplating a remap at some point although to be honest I might just leave it as standard!
I had my 2.0 Diesel remapped from 170 to 200 and its soooo much better, no flat bit in the middle and much more progressive. Maps can be specific to your driving needs whereas a tuning box is a generic tool so will give mixed results.
(Post Link) post #68 of 139 Old 15-10-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Dipped beam headlight bulbs have been fine so far. It's the sidelight bulbs that are the issue. It always seems to be the passenger side that gives the problem so I'm wondering if it is the bulb holder that's passed its best.
(Post Link) post #69 of 139 Old 15-10-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srad34. View Post
Quote:
Tuning boxes up for discussion next.
I had my 2.0 Diesel remapped from 170 to 200 and its soooo much better, no flat bit in the middle and much more progressive. Maps can be specific to your driving needs whereas a tuning box is a generic tool so will give mixed results.
Who did your remap and how did it affect economy?
AO Silver Member

County: Shropshire
Garage
Quote:
Dipped beam headlight bulbs have been fine so far. It's the sidelight bulbs that are the issue. It always seems to be the passenger side that gives the problem so I'm wondering if it is the bulb holder that's passed its best.
I had exactly the same, passenger side warning only. I got a small screwdriver in the holder and bent the connectors out a little, no problem since.
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
This is the set that i bought.
Its yes and no In regards to plug and play, there is an adapter in the box that you plug into the normal indicator bulb holder. It comes with a tiny Can bus control unit . you just push the led bulb into place. It has a rubber seal that fits snug into the housing. Howerver you need the 12v acc from one of the fuses next to the battery to trigger the drl. Everything is included in the box. It took me 15 mins to fit. I'll upload some pics when I'm back at home
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Regarding these new lights, I assume they replace the original indicator bulbs?
They stay switched on as a white DRL until you indicate when they use the orange light for indication, then switch back to white - I have Halo’s fitted, so would these be okay with halo’s do you think?
AO Silver Member

Garage
Switchback bulbs

Just found the same ones for less than half the price!!
I’ll be selling them for £18.00 each set....Lol

Last edited by Topic; 28-01-18 at 14:44.
AO Silver Member

County: Avon
Im seriously considering the LED bulbs, perhaps for my mainbeam as I think too bright dimishes your vision outside of the illuminated area.

Will be an even tighterfit/may have to loose the light cap entirely or figure something else out.

Does having the cap on the back of the dipper beam pods compromise the cooling from the bulb fan? It seems restricting the back may prevent heat dissipation....bit of a problem on the dipped beam which are on for long periods of time.
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry92 View Post
Im seriously considering the LED bulbs, perhaps for my mainbeam as I think too bright dimishes your vision outside of the illuminated area.

Will be an even tighterfit/may have to loose the light cap entirely or figure something else out.

Does having the cap on the back of the dipper beam pods compromise the cooling from the bulb fan? It seems restricting the back may prevent heat dissipation....bit of a problem on the dipped beam which are on for long periods of time.
Get a holesaw and cut a hole in the cap to match the bulb, alternatively drill several smaller holes in the cap to aid circulation?
AO Silver Member

County: Avon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry92 View Post

Get a holesaw and cut a hole in the cap to match the bulb, alternatively drill several smaller holes in the cap to aid circulation?
Ive bought a set and going to try them in my main beam (cue swearing and bloodied fingers) and will indeed cut an appropriate hole in the back of the cap

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
159 , alfa , modifications , thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page