Brera dash warped - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By mnmv12
  • 1 Post By mnmv12

(Post Link) post #1 of 25 Old 10-07-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Suffolk-
Garage
Brera dash warped

I noticed recently during the hot weather that my dash has lifted on both sides of the car. I have heard it creaking sometimes when the air con comes on after the car has been shut up in the sun. Has any one had this or found a solution? It is almost impossible to press it down by hand so its going to take something strong to hold it down. Guess its a dash out job, its not bothering me too much at the moment but i think it could be job for those long winter nights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dash.jpg (67.1 KB, 104 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
One of those things that will annoy you every time you notice it.

Wonder if it is specifically a leather dash issue?
(Post Link) post #3 of 25 Old 11-07-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
"One of those things that will annoy you every time you notice it."

Your right, yesterday I wasn't too bothered and now I am starting to check on it every time I get in the car to make sure it hasn't got any worse.

I thought it was just the leather and foam peeling off but it is impossible to push it down by hand. I don't know what the dash substrate is made from but it is as if this has warped in the heat. I can't say I relish the thought of removing the dash but I have seen threads on here by people who have removed it in about 3 hrs. What I do when I get it out is another question I can't see glue holding it in place, its just too rigid. Surely I can't have the only car with this problem I know East Anglia has been warm over the last few weeks but I'm sure Italy is hotter!
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
I would go and see a professional car upholsterers / trimmers as I think you have one chance to get a really good fix but if you end up doing it yourself and it doesn't work out it can be a nightmare.
AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng

Member car:

Brera 3.6

its a leather issue, was a major issue on jaguar xf when they first came out

Sent from my 2014817 using Tapatalk
(Post Link) post #6 of 25 Old 12-07-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Agreed, after some research it appears that this is a problem with leather dashboards on a number of different manufacturers including Audi, Porsche, BMW, Jaguar and Jeep. Interestingly they all seem to go in the same place along the front demister vents.
Fortunately in Elearn the dash removal is well detailed, its a bit tedious but straightforward and with no obvious special tools. I have sent some pictures to Bespoke Leathering from Car SOS fame if to see if they can repair it and await there response.
AO Platinum Member

County: Riviera
Plastic dash FTW!

AO Member

County: Somerset

Member car:

Brera 3.2 S

Hi, I have had the exact same issue.
Tried to sort it myself but the problem returned within days.Also broke one of the demister vents in the process.
The foam under the leather has started to swell and its almost impossible to flatten. The leather seems to be cut very short with no extra to get hold of and pull down to fix.
I have also spoken to the leather trimmers as featured on SOS.
They have agreed to look at it but will need to take the windscreen out or the dash out to fix.
I had a quote from Alfa for a new Prodrive dash, supply only £4800 !!!!!!
Mine is put to bed for the moment whilst i decide what to do.
Let me know how you get on please.
Good luck
Pete
(Post Link) post #9 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago

County: -
Hi,

Sorry, I'm a bit late to the party as I know this thread is a little old, but I just purchased a Brera 3.2 S 2009 with the leather dash and noticed the same problem, where the leather doesn't seem to stretch far enough to the edge and no matter what I do it will not budge.
Did anyone find a solution or company that could fix it for a reasonable amount?

Thanks
Alan
(Post Link) post #10 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by obeea View Post
Hi,

Sorry, I'm a bit late to the party as I know this thread is a little old, but I just purchased a Brera 3.2 S 2009 with the leather dash and noticed the same problem, where the leather doesn't seem to stretch far enough to the edge and no matter what I do it will not budge.
Did anyone find a solution or company that could fix it for a reasonable amount?

Thanks
Alan
I still haven't got round to doing mine and it still annoys me every time is see it. Once it starts to go no amount of leather conditioner seems to stop it. Mine has now gone both sides and it is starting to go around the central vent. its a great shame because the dash is in great condition . The damage was already done went i bought my car, i think the previous owner must have parked it in the sun for long periods and never treated the leather. you won't be able to push it back, as the leather shrinks it pulls the plastic backing with it exposing the foam beneath it, it even broke one of the vents.
I have seen people who have had the windscreen out and had a trimmer try and repair it but i don't think you can do a proper job with the dash in the car and the ones i have seen all look repaired.
I am planning to remove my dash over the next couple of weeks as i recently had a mad moment and bought a new one! I still intend to take my old one to Bespoke Leathering to have it repaired but they won't discuss what can be done until they see it. I think the plastic backing will need fixing down somehow before the leather is repaired. I will try and post some pictures of the job so you can see whats involved. Hopefully when the old one is out it will be easier to see the damage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new dash.jpg (101.3 KB, 44 views)
(Post Link) post #11 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: New South Wales

Member car:

Alfetta gtv6

That's why in Aus we use dash mats! To prevent this and strong UV
(Post Link) post #12 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
Not much danger of too much UV in Suffolk though!...water damage yes...UV no....LOL. Just poor build quality.
(Post Link) post #13 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Carmarthenshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmv12 View Post
I still haven't got round to doing mine and it still annoys me every time is see it. Once it starts to go no amount of leather conditioner seems to stop it. Mine has now gone both sides and it is starting to go around the central vent. its a great shame because the dash is in great condition . The damage was already done went i bought my car, i think the previous owner must have parked it in the sun for long periods and never treated the leather. you won't be able to push it back, as the leather shrinks it pulls the plastic backing with it exposing the foam beneath it, it even broke one of the vents.
I have seen people who have had the windscreen out and had a trimmer try and repair it but i don't think you can do a proper job with the dash in the car and the ones i have seen all look repaired.
I am planning to remove my dash over the next couple of weeks as i recently had a mad moment and bought a new one! I still intend to take my old one to Bespoke Leathering to have it repaired but they won't discuss what can be done until they see it. I think the plastic backing will need fixing down somehow before the leather is repaired. I will try and post some pictures of the job so you can see whats involved. Hopefully when the old one is out it will be easier to see the damage.
I have the same problem. Would you mind if I asked how much the new dash cost? Iíd like to replace mine - but fear the price will be prohibitively expensive for me
(Post Link) post #14 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
The cost of a new one from Alfa is totally ridiculous list price is over £5600 and I'm not even sure that includes vat. Even if the dealer gave you a good discount i bet you would be looking at over £4500
There is no way I was ever going to pay that much so I had resigned myself to spending a few hundred quid on a proffesional repair or replacing it with a standard dash. Recently one just happened to turn up on Partsworld and with my AROC discount I got it for £600. Still silly money and like i said i had a bit of a mad moment but I figured a repair could easily cost £300-£400 if its possible at all.
I will still investigate having my existing one repaired even if it's to keep as a spare or sell to recover some of the cost
I will certainly be taking greater car with the new one to keep it out of the sun. At least work now have an underground car park.
I have now had time to look at the procedure for removing the dash and it looks easy enough with no special tools required other than some trim removal tools and a bent screwdriver to release that airbag.
(Post Link) post #15 of 25 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Garage
Thank you. Over £5.5k is frankly ridiculous! You got a good deal there....
(Post Link) post #16 of 25 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Member

I’ve got a spare one too

Only way is to remove it and then re heat and stretch the leather down and then glue again

I have removed 3 dashboards now

But it’ll take you a whole weekend

A day to remove and a day to refit

The front seats, centre console needs removing
(Post Link) post #17 of 25 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Garage
Could I please ask both mnmv12 and alfaromeo939s whether you purchased your new dash units using your VIN number?

I contacted Partsworld to order one for my Brera and was asked for my VIN. Apparently, the dash part number as advertised on the site (which was presumably the one sold to mnmv12 ) does not match my car. I was under the impression all 3.2v6 Breras have the red stitched dash and wasnít aware there are differences.....or more than one version?

My car is an 58 plate. I would appreciate any ideas here.......thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg AC0A2577-36C2-4DD9-BACD-A9BCFC3FDDED.jpeg (79.4 KB, 20 views)
(Post Link) post #18 of 25 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
My car is a 2008 2.2 model. When I checked my VIN with Partsworld it wasn't listed either but we concluded that it was probably because it was an option on this model and that it was highly unlikely there were more variants other than lh or rh drive. The new one looks visually identical to mine but I guess I will only know for sure when I fit it next weekend. It's going in whatever happens!
(Post Link) post #19 of 25 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmv12 View Post
My car is a 2008 2.2 model. When I checked my VIN with Partsworld it wasn't listed either but we concluded that it was probably because it was an option on this model and that it was highly unlikely there were more variants other than lh or rh drive. The new one looks visually identical to mine but I guess I will only know for sure when I fit it next weekend. It's going in whatever happens!
Thanks for that! Would you mind posting up how the fitting went .....thatís assuming you, the dash and the car are still in one piece

I, too, cannot believe Alfa made more than one variation of the red-stitch dash - just left and right hand drive.

I shall eagerly await an update
(Post Link) post #20 of 25 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Member

I bought mine from autolusso s/h

Still haven’t fitted it

But I’ve removed and refitted standard dashes

Expect a £1,000 bill from any normal garage I’d say to remove and fit one
(Post Link) post #21 of 25 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaromeo939s View Post
I bought mine from autolusso s/h

Still havenít fitted it

But Iíve removed and refitted standard dashes

Expect a £1,000 bill from any normal garage Iíd say to remove and fit one
Crikey! Well, I have a nice, cozy garage. Some tools. Plenty of tea etc and music. I guess Iíll be having a crack at it myself....I most certainly canít afford anywhere near a £1k bill
(Post Link) post #22 of 25 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Phase one complete and dash removed. Fortunately no dramas followed the eper procedure and it was all fairly straightforward. Procedure isn't 100% it want's you to remove stuff that isn't necessary and misses stuff that is but its all fairly obvious. Time taken 3.5hrs. It's taken about another hour to swap over stuff from the old dash to the new. The passenger air bag bracket is different in the new dash so they must have changed the air bag some time in 2009 but the brackets are interchangeable so it is no problem to swap them.
Tomorrow the new dash goes in, i recon another 4hrs should see the job finished so better than expected.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (122.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (134.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (95.6 KB, 22 views)
alfaitalia, soolka and brera939s like this.
(Post Link) post #23 of 25 Old 5 Days Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Ok, the new dash is in with no major problems, time taken 5hrs and the extra time to refit to was down to a few things,

1) Spending time cleaning all the trim
2) Alfa forgot to drill one of the fixing holes in the new dash so i had a bolt with nowhere to go and finding where the missing hole was took longer than expected.
3) I ended up with a wire left over and despite pouring over the numerous photos i had taken i was unable to find anything to plug it into. I eventually concluded it is for some optional feature i don't have. Everything is working anyway.
4) The temp sensor in the top of the dash wouldn't go through the hole but i didn't discover this until i had bolted the dash in place so it had to come out again.

After reconnecting the battery and resetting the windows everything worked with no warning lights which was a relief. I will try and put the procedure together with the pictures in a separate post, it really is a fairly straightforward task with some basic tools.

One of the pictures below shows the state of the old dash with the vent removed and how much the leather has shrunk, it did look a bit naff through the windscreen so i'm really happy with the result despite the cost
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190707_163424.jpg (111.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg old dash.jpg (79.2 KB, 21 views)
soolka likes this.
AO Member

the extra wire is likely to be for the centre vent speaker that came with the bose system
(Post Link) post #25 of 25 Old 4 Hours Ago
AO Member

Garage
Excellent pics. I have now bought a replacement dash.....so I would certainly be very appreciative of a full “how-to” with photos.

Could I ask - is that a workshop manual on the passenger footwell in photo number 2? I have a bog-standard e-learn CD - but nothing else.

Thanks again for your post - your dash looks superb!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
brera , dash , warped

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page