Spider window issue and service light solved! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 4Likes
  • 4 Post By Tobenn

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 13-04-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Norfolk
ebay Spider window issue and service light solved!

Background: Spider 2007 Jtdm 2.4 Fitted a new battery, big spark then the passenger window would not go back up after it's little drop on opening the door. Went up OK on the buttons. Garage said probably software, normal reset method didn't work at all and the light was still on the dash.

Had it serviced and garage could not re-set service indicator so then I had 2 lights going on the dash!

Hooked it up to multiECU scan, paid for version, no dice. Then the scanner said I needed an ELM connector which I bought on Fleabay. Hooked that up and got into the system for the windows. There is something called a Hall Effect Sensor fitted. This sensor measures the current generated at right angles to a current flowing in a conductor. My guess is that if the window current increases then the HE sensor trips the motor and stops it moving as you would like it to do if your hand was trapped in the window. My HE sensors were set to OFF. I was able to turn them on and bingo, the windows now work as they should.

There have been many discussions on this forum about windows which should go back up on a long key press on the lock button. This feature appears diasabled on the Spiders and some Breras but as a bonus is now re-enabled on mine after this reset. Great.

Next bonus: I was also able to reset the service indicator light using this ELM connector and the MultiECU scan software. It appears, though I stand to be corrected, that there is also something called a service interval reset number, or similar, which is set to 9. Once you have done 9 resets, you cannot reset the service light indicator again unless you reset this interval number to less than 9. 0 is the obvious choice although I suppose you could try a minus number. However, this only appears possible on the ECU version 4 as on my Spider, on my 156 jtdm with the ECU version 3 I can find no way of resetting the interval number.

Anyway that's no problem as it doesn't appear on the dash like it does on the Spider so I'm a happy bunny for the time being.
mczero, Agusta, alvav and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: West Midlands
Good news all round...

Heres a little more.. You can reset the service counter when it reaches 9... Now, I can't remember if there's an actual section for it in MES or not. But either way you HAVE to do what's called a Proxi Alignment. Run MES in simulation mode just to find where it is and have a poke around the various ECUs from memory it's in the same ECU as your service reset... Switch back out of simulation mode and the process takes less than 5 minutes but be sure to have ample voltage in the battery (maybe hook up a charger if youre really worried)

Another thing I can't remember is if you need your code card for it. It's been about 5 years since I last did one, but running it in simulation mode will confirm if you need it or not

Hope this helps
AO Member

County: Auckland
Good work! I couldn't reset the windows doing the 10 second thing so I hooked up Multiecuscan. The sensors were enabled but 'calibrated' said NO. I had another go at the windows, changing my method a bit and bingo! 'Calibrated' changed to YES and they worked. The key difference I found was down, 10 secs then up, hold the switch up until it says YES - only 1-2 seconds.
AO Member

County: Arhus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobenn View Post
Next bonus: I was also able to reset the service indicator light using this ELM connector and the MultiECU scan software. It appears, though I stand to be corrected, that there is also something called a service interval reset number, or similar, which is set to 9. Once you have done 9 resets, you cannot reset the service light indicator again unless you reset this interval number to less than 9.
When you have done 9 resets (I belive that might be a full service book) then you won't get the service light again.

But yes. It is possible to turn that on and off with muliti ecuscan
AO Member

County: Queensland
More on Torbenn's window fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobenn View Post
Background: Spider 2007 Jtdm 2.4
Hooked it up to multiECU scan, paid for version, no dice. Then the scanner said I needed an ELM connector which I bought on Fleabay. Hooked that up and got into the system for the windows. There is something called a Hall Effect Sensor fitted. This sensor measures the current generated at right angles to a current flowing in a conductor. My guess is that if the window current increases then the HE sensor trips the motor and stops it moving as you would like it to do if your hand was trapped in the window. My HE sensors were set to OFF. I was able to turn them on and bingo, the windows now work as they should.

There have been many discussions on this forum about windows which should go back up on a long key press on the lock button. This feature appears disabled on the Spiders and some Breras but as a bonus is now re-enabled on mine after this reset. Great.
Thanks Tobenn. For me this is the best post on the forum so far. I've been fighting this problem for nearly 10 years on my 2007 3.2 Spider and invested in a variety of ODB scanner/adjusters to no avail. I already have a bluetooth ELM327 which hopefully will connect for me. I am currently obtaining FIat ECUScan 3.6 which might do the job. Just a bit of background as to why this is so important, I bought a SmartTop about 10 years ago which allows remote closing (and opening) of the soft top using the remote key. Marvellous, but it is unable to close the windows so if you haven't remembered to put up the windows before exit it's really annoying. Hopefully your post will solve that for me.
Would you mind awfully, providing more details like exact menu clicks chosen in Fiat ECUScan and what ELM device you used... One wrong step on these things can cause a world of misery. Thanks in anticipation.
Cheers,
mczero
(Post Link) post #6 of 10 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Hi sorry it's taken a while but this is the sequence in ecu scan but not necessarily in the right order!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190518_174205_1558198870499.jpg (66.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20190518_174404_1558198989632.jpg (47.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20190518_174425_1558199065923.jpg (35.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20190518_174443_1558199140809.jpg (34.9 KB, 7 views)
(Post Link) post #7 of 10 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Thanks Tobenn,
Much appreciated.
I've ordered a new set of cables and new full registered version of multiEcuScan from Gendan products in Swansea, and am waiting anxiously for them to arrive. Seems like they are ridgy-didge judging by the price. I've checked these pics out and I think I've got the order of menus right now in the simulation.
I'll let you know how I go in about 2 weeks. I'm on the other side of the world so post is a bit slow.
Cheers,
mczero
(Post Link) post #8 of 10 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mczero View Post
Thanks Tobenn,
Much appreciated.
I've ordered a new set of cables and new full registered version of multiEcuScan from Gendan products in Swansea, and am waiting anxiously for them to arrive. Seems like they are ridgy-didge judging by the price. I've checked these pics out and I think I've got the order of menus right now in the simulation.
I'll let you know how I go in about 2 weeks. I'm on the other side of the world so post is a bit slow.
Cheers,
mczero
Great, good luck with that!
(Post Link) post #9 of 10 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

I finally got my windows to close with the Smarttop on the Alfa spider as described above. Thanks Tobenn. I used MultiEcuScan software and an Elm327 connector to the OBD2. (the idiagnostics ELM327 works fine for this without any adapters.)
I had to enable the antipinch Hall sensor in the doors. Apparently Alfa had disabled it so kiddies wouldn't catch fingers. I can now pop the top up lock the car and close the windows as I walk away with one button click and hold. Anyone in Brisbane (Queensland) with the same issue, let me know and I'll help out.
Cheers,
mczero

Last edited by mczero; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:34.
(Post Link) post #10 of 10 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mczero View Post
I finally got my windows to close with the smart top on the Alfa spider as described above. Thanks Tobenn. I used MultiEcuScan software and an Elm327 connector to the OBD2.
I had to enable the antipinch Hall sensor in the doors. Apparently Alfa had disabled it so kiddies wouldn't catch fingers. I can now pop the top up lock the car and close the windows as I walk away with one button click. Anyone in Brisbane (Queensland) with the same issue, let me know and I'll help out.
Cheers,
mczero

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
issue , light , service , solved , spider , window

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page