Brera electric seat reclining - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 3Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 42 Old 02-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Brera electric seat reclining

The electric motor which reclines the drives seat isn't working. I can here the motor "wurring", but no movement.

Any common problems/fixes?

Ta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: West

Member car:

2009 Brera 3.2

Yep. Could be (like likely to be) the cable that goes from the motor to the winding mechanism.

Rip the seat out and take a look.

My cable cost um... $200 or $400AUD to buy...
AO Member

County: West

Member car:

2009 Brera 3.2

G'day everyone - had a PM asking about this seat recline problem and thought i'd add a picture to this thread for future reference for others.

*** Thanks Bestia for the PM - i think this is the thread you were referring to ***

The part i needed was the cable indicated in the attached pics - the gearing mechanism on mine was OK.

If your anyone is having difficulty getting htis part, i ordered mine from Cileberti Motors here in Osborne Park (WA) - they'd be able to order this and send it to you. IIRC it was about $250 for the cable sent from Italy.

By the way - when you take off the gearing mechanism, REMEMBER which way it went on! i put mine on backwards and now the button works in reverse (not an issue but is a bit silly now i press it forward to recline back... and vice versa...)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cable Brera Seat.jpg (130.4 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg Brera seat gearing mechanism.jpg (111.6 KB, 117 views)
evvivame likes this.

County: Australia

Member car:

Brera

Thanks!
AO Member

These guys are selling the cable, part nr (see pic above, 2) 51780891
Alfa Romeo Seats
AO Member

County: Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by OziGTV View Post
G'day everyone - had a PM asking about this seat recline problem and thought i'd add a picture to this thread for future reference for others.

*** Thanks Bestia for the PM - i think this is the thread you were referring to ***

The part i needed was the cable indicated in the attached pics - the gearing mechanism on mine was OK.

If your anyone is having difficulty getting htis part, i ordered mine from Cileberti Motors here in Osborne Park (WA) - they'd be able to order this and send it to you. IIRC it was about $250 for the cable sent from Italy.

By the way - when you take off the gearing mechanism, REMEMBER which way it went on! i put mine on backwards and now the button works in reverse (not an issue but is a bit silly now i press it forward to recline back... and vice versa...)
Hi OziGTV,
Same problem !!
I can't found this accourse cable (51780891): tryed across Europa.
If i right understyand, Cileberti Motors purchased the cable by alfa romeo in Italy right?
If yes pls remember that this spare parts isn't longer available at Alfa Romeo Turin (HEADQUARTER in Italy)

Thanks !
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComoAlfa View Post
These guys are selling the cable, part nr (see pic above, 2) 51780891
Alfa Romeo Seats
Today from Alfaworkshop:"Sorry but that part is on back order with Alfa"
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evvivame View Post
Today from Alfaworkshop:"Sorry but that part is on back order with Alfa"
Hi, in May I didn't find the cable in Europe.... If somebody find's it, from some web store, please tell on this thread.

Same for me

Hi All,

Based in South of Spain - my Alfa Romeo Brera has just started doing the same thing this morning.

Motor Whirs round on the forward motion, dropping the seat no sound, no engagement of the motor so i am assuming its something to do with the cable as well as my symptoms match those of previous...

Question i have is does anyone know where i can order this part online?

As reading through some of the other posts part is not available?

Thanks

AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alibrera View Post
Hi All,

Based in South of Spain - my Alfa Romeo Brera has just started doing the same thing this morning.

Motor Whirs round on the forward motion, dropping the seat no sound, no engagement of the motor so i am assuming its something to do with the cable as well as my symptoms match those of previous...

Question i have is does anyone know where i can order this part online?

As reading through some of the other posts part is not available?

Thanks

From MY experience : the spare part isn't available on the worldwide
At this moment i try to found a alternative solution with a cable..... for km count
AO Member

Dear Friens,
Problem self made solved !!!

Main steps:
1) found a "similar" (*) cable ( found in a odometer store)
2) easy mounting of the cable (max 1 hour)

Warning !
Due "similar" cable, i DON'T risk to COMPLETE seat tipping ..because if the machanism still dies when the seat is complete down is a big problem

(*) the found cable was:
a) longer than the original
b) the side of square section (at the cable extremes) is a bit less than the original
Both problems solved

I attacche the cable's measures

If someone need more details pls tell me !
Attached Files
File Type: pdf cavo.pdf (13.3 KB, 55 views)
3litrev6 likes this.

Last edited by evvivame; 22-09-17 at 20:49.
AO Member

County: Hampshire
ok I brought the shorter cable unhinged the motor from the seat and connected it up all is okie dokie that's if its just the recliner motion seat that is
AO Member

Quote:
Dear Friens,
Problem self made solved !!!

Main steps:
1) found a "similar" (*) cable ( found in a odometer store)
2) easy mounting of the cable (max 1 hour)

Warning !
Due "similar" cable, i DON'T risk to COMPLETE seat tipping ..because if the machanism still dies when the seat is complete down is a big problem

(*) the found cable was:
a) longer than the original
b) the side of square section (at the cable extremes) is a bit less than the original
Both problems solved

I attacche the cable's measures

If someone need more details pls tell me !
Hi, I would like to get more pics, please. You said that "easy mounting". How do you disassembly the seat to replace the cable? I have once taken the seat out (open 4 floor screws+ el-connectors out), but the seat structure looked a bit too complicated for me to disassembly it. How to do it? Then I didn't have right cable to replace, but now I noticed that you have used nice DIY method.
AO Member

County: Worcestershire
hi there, i have this part available if you are still in need of it and i know how to replace it also

regards

matt
AO Member

Quote:
Hi, I would like to get more pics, please. You said that "easy mounting". How do you disassembly the seat to replace the cable? I have once taken the seat out (open 4 floor screws+ el-connectors out), but the seat structure looked a bit too complicated for me to disassembly it. How to do it? Then I didn't have right cable to replace, but now I noticed that you have used nice DIY method.
Hi,
a) i suggest: open the capote
b) open the 4 screws under the seat with torx key
c) disconnect the 2 eletrical cables ( if the capote is open is a bit more easy)
d) when the seat is free place it on a table
e) NOW YOU SEE the motor and the gear ( see 0.jpg)
f) you can easy estract the motor (see 1.jpg) from it side and insert the cable
g) Now you see ( 2.jpg) the gear and you can insert the cable with a "click"
e) reinsert the 2 cables ( point c)
f) check if NOW the seat mechanism run fine
g) close the 4 screews (point b)

Enjoy !!
If you need more infos pls tell me !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0 .jpg (103.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (59.1 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (92.2 KB, 53 views)
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaromeo939s View Post
hi there, i have this part available if you are still in need of it and i know how to replace it also

regards

matt
Hi alfaromeo939,
Currently i have solved the problem with a self made cable ( example cut and welded ) but i have again interest about a oroginal cable.
Can you tell me more info about the store that providing this cable ( example the webside ecc.)

Thanks !
AO Member

Quote:
Hi,
a) i suggest: open the capote
b) open the 4 screws under the seat with torx key
c) disconnect the 2 eletrical cables ( if the capote is open is a bit more easy)
d) when the seat is free place it on a table
e) NOW YOU SEE the motor and the gear ( see 0.jpg)
e) reinsert the 2 cables ( point c)
f) check if NOW the seat mechanism run fine
g) close the 4 screews (point b)

Enjoy !!
If you need more infos pls tell me !!
Thanks I still have couple of points....
do you move the motor out of the seat structure by unscrewing it, before the new cable installation? or can you just "click in" the new cable, when the motor is mounted as it is in it's normal position
how do you take the old cable out from the gear? how do you install the the new cable into the gear

Do you need to dismount the gear? How do you dismount the gear, if you need to do it?

How about cable cover? Did you use the old cover or did you buy a new one?

Present situation: My cable end (close to motor) is very hairy. I cannot move the cable anywhere by pulling it with tongs. So, driver seat backrest angle adjustment mechanism might be ok or it is not. Now with broken cable, the situation is status quo = backrest is in one position , which is good position, but backrest does not move anywhere, by pulling the cable with tongs. Was your situation similar?

Sorry, quite nr of questions....
AO Member

Quote:
Thanks I still have couple of points....
do you move the motor out of the seat structure by unscrewing it, before the new cable installation? or can you just "click in" the new cable, when the motor is mounted as it is in it's normal position
how do you take the old cable out from the gear? how do you install the the new cable into the gear

Do you need to dismount the gear? How do you dismount the gear, if you need to do it?

How about cable cover? Did you use the old cover or did you buy a new one?

Present situation: My cable end (close to motor) is very hairy. I cannot move the cable anywhere by pulling it with tongs. So, driver seat backrest angle adjustment mechanism might be ok or it is not. Now with broken cable, the situation is status quo = backrest is in one position , which is good position, but backrest does not move anywhere, by pulling the cable with tongs. Was your situation similar?

Sorry, quite nr of questions....
Not problem !! With my bad english i try

f) extract (No some unscrewing) the motor from it guide, insert the new cable and press the motor in it guide !
g) you DON'T need to unistall the gear!! the gear is visibile. First insert the steel cable in the gear and later insert the cable cover in the gear with a click !!

WARNING !!!!!!!!!!!!

I undestand your questions BUT, PLS REMEMBER, :
the largest work is unmount the seat : the rest i VERY VISIBILE AND EASY : at this moment you don't need unscrewing nothing!!

p.s. My situation was (see attached):
Steel cable = destroy
Cable cover = ok
Attached Files
File Type: pdf cavo ko.pdf (39.4 KB, 40 views)
AO Member

Quote:
Not problem !! With my bad english i try

f) extract (No some unscrewing) the motor from it guide, insert the new cable and press the motor in it guide !
g) you DON'T need to unistall the gear!! the gear is visibile. First insert the steel cable in the gear and later insert the cable cover in the gear with a click !!

WARNING !!!!!!!!!!!!

I undestand your questions BUT, PLS REMEMBER, :
the largest work is unmount the seat : the rest i VERY VISIBILE AND EASY : at this moment you don't need unscrewing nothing!!

p.s. My situation was (see attached):
Steel cable = destroy
Cable cover = ok
Thanks. Good instructions

I know how to move the seat by unscrewing the four bolts and disconnecting to electric connectors under the seat. So, it's good to know that after that the cable work itself is easy and no disassembly is needed with motor and gear. Motor is just taken away from it's guide. If I understood correctly, I can simply open the gear by taking the gear cover away, and after that I can see the cable inside the gear. So, gear is like a shell, which can be opened easily, right?

How exact is the length of new cable to compared the old one, does gear has some tolerance for cable lenght?
AO Member

Quote:
Thanks. Good instructions

I know how to move the seat by unscrewing the four bolts and disconnecting to electric connectors under the seat. So, it's good to know that after that the cable work itself is easy and no disassembly is needed with motor and gear. Motor is just taken away from it's guide.
Right !
Quote:
.... If I understood correctly, I can simply open the gear by taking the gear cover away, and after that I can see the cable inside the gear. So, gear is like a shell, which can be opened easily, right?
I'm not sure if I right translate : you don't "open" the gear ..You see a hole on the gear within you insert the cable : clear ? (can be useful the attached)

Quote:
.... How exact is the length of new cable to compared the old one, does gear has some tolerance for cable lenght?
see attached !
No tollerance for the cable length (think about the lenght of cable cover) and for the square lengh (3,2 mm)

My case:
I haven't been able to found a cable with 3,8 mm but only 2,8mm : for that i created n. 2 "thickness" with a coca-cola can (1 for the motor side one for the gear side) as the attached

Ok?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg meccanismo.jpg (65.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 20170922_171357_resized.jpg (84.7 KB, 18 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf misura cavo.pdf (13.6 KB, 29 views)
AO Member

Ok. The cable end of motor side is easy, I can see it under the seat: motor has an open hole/notch, where to put cable end. Very simple.

But I haven't seen the gear end: does the gear has similar hole/notch to where to set the cable end? How do you take the cable out from the gear? Just lifting the cable end out of the hole/notch? I assume that cable end in the gear side, has similar thicker metal end as motor end cable, which fits to the hole/notch. See cable end pic, what I mean.

Sorry about these detailed questions....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cable end.jpg (1.8 KB, 115 views)
AO Member

Quote:
Ok. The cable end of motor side is easy, I can see it under the seat: motor has an open hole/notch, where to put cable end. Very simple.
Ok

Quote:
....but I haven't seen the gear end: does the gear has similar hole/notch to where to set the cable end? How do you take the cable out from the gear? Just lifting the cable end out of the hole/notch? I assume that cable end in the gear side, has similar thicker metal end as motor end cable, which fits to the hole/notch. See cable end pic, what I mean.
yes the cable end is inserted in thw gear AS is inserted in the motor
Sorry ...my prevous PDF with the cable sizes is clear ?? Is clear that the both end are with square section ??
AO Member

Quote:
Ok

yes the cable end is inserted in thw gear AS is inserted in the motor
Sorry ...my prevous PDF with the cable sizes is clear ?? Is clear that the both end are with square section ??
Hi and thanks. Now everything is clear. PDF picture is clear. I try to find suitable cable and cable ends
AO Member

Quote:
Hi and thanks. Now everything is clear. PDF picture is clear.
I'm happy !

Quote:
... I try to find suitable cable and cable ends
Sorry : what is cable and cable end ?
You w'd like tell : suitable cable with particular cable end ?

uhmmmmmmmmmm

My experience:
- Alfa Romeo Italy: nothing ,
- on the web : nothing !!
I suggest a store for odometer...perhaps you need a Coca Cola or /and the cable must be shorten

best wishes !!!!
AO Member

County: Worcestershire
I sell Brera Parts so i have original OEM spares available and it is a hobby of mine. I have already replaced this part before for someone a few weeks ago. Image is attached of the seat.
Attached Images
File Type: png Seat Motor Cable.png (115.0 KB, 63 views)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
brera , electric , reclining , seat

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page