DPF - happy ending - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By Matt Brighton
  • 1 Post By Matt Brighton
  • 2 Post By johnnyroper

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 21-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: East Sussex

Member car:

159 (1.9 JTDm)

DPF - happy ending

Hi

After a couple of years of mostly town driving ( my 2006 159 on 136,000) we went to the "get engine checked" dashboard warning message and thereafter into limp home mode.

Fault code P2002 - blocked DPF. You know the story....

Unplugging the MAF overrided (if thats a proper word) the rev limiter to get home and after 2 days of clearing the code every hour or so with a 35 quid draper code reader to temp disable the limp mode, I tonight report the following fix..................

Wynnns DPF cleaner added (7.50 with me trade card at Hafords) to a half a tank of asdas finest diesel - but problem was that it wouldn't run on m/way for long enough to regen with the MAF sensor connected before dropping back into limp.

After x3 resets (code clearances) I then disconnected the MAF and sat at 4000 rpm 70/80 mph on M23 in 3rd gear for 20 mins and went from Brighton M23 to M25. MPG reading went up n down so i successfully provoked a regen,

Reconnected the MAF sensor plug at M25 and drove back home - and all is now well.
Obs DPF is on the way out but so far so good and I guess I will be in the market for a 2' masonry drill in not too distant future ?

Hope this post makes sense and helps someone in similar situation.

Do ask me any questions if you have them....

Best

matt - Brighton
Philjay50 and alfahemi like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Northamptonshire

Member car:

brera 2.4 - NERO

Personally, I'd use Archoil AR6500 DPF/Cat cleaner rather than Wynns, but glad ya got it regen'd ok.
(Post Link) post #3 of 13 Old 24-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: East Sussex

Member car:

159 (1.9 JTDm)

Thanks,

I will look that up,

Intend to use the wynns (or similar) on a regular basis as its likey the DPF is on its last legs.

If it does give up I will try the drilling to out "fix".

Best

Matt
Pieter159 likes this.
(Post Link) post #4 of 13 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Laois
Great post. I am struggling with this very same issue. I will try this tomorrow.
Did you end up drilling the dpf?

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk
(Post Link) post #5 of 13 Old 3 Weeks Ago

County: tyne wear

Member car:

BRERA 2.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieter159 View Post
Great post. I am struggling with this very same issue. I will try this tomorrow.
Did you end up drilling the dpf?

had the same problem with same code , dpf bank 1 .. not able to re=gen... dpf out, cut in half,,,,,, cleaned and re welded and put back in place, egr blanked , codes cleared and re-mapped ,,, all good under the hood .
(Post Link) post #6 of 13 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
....but no MOT ever again (a properly conducted one at least) and potential of a 1000 fine if you get caught at a VOSA spot check. New or properly cleaned DPF would be a far better option. The proper fluid by Wynns that you fill the DPF with (after removal) is only about 25 and makes them like new.
(Post Link) post #7 of 13 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Zuid Holland
Garage
Get it professionally emptied from ashes (i.e. rinsed) instead of drilled.... will be better for all of us and value of your car. DPF are there for a reason, messing with around with it will only cascade into more trouble codes Im afraid.
(Post Link) post #8 of 13 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

So I spent the morning driving for at least 25 minutes at 120 kph at 3700 to 4000 rpm. I had the maf disconnected. I did not really notice anything happening during this period. Used the Wynns dpf cleaner additive.
I then cleared the engine warning light and reconnected the maf. Car had ok acceleration and power bur stuttered a bit. Then after 10 minutes of motorway engine light came on again. So I cleared the light and disconnected the maf. Drove then without problems. Only thing that does not seem to work is the cruise control.
Does this mean the maf is faulty?

(Post Link) post #9 of 13 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: -
Would it even do a regen with maf disconnected? Not sure if no maf reading would upset the ECU and inhibit regens.

Have you got mes to check live data for maf feedback and DPF differential pressures?

Have you checked pipework from DPF to differential sensor is clear and free from splits etc?
Also is it worth chucking a differential pressure sensor on as I had problems with my 159 that turned out to be faulty sensor.

Finally I would have the DPF off and use some off the car cleaner in it overnight and then give a good wash out. I have recently done my BMW one but didn’t have DPF cleaner so blanked it one end and filled with full fat coke then pressure washed it before gently drying out on the hob for 5 minutes. Clogging level dropped right down.
alfaitalia and Pieter159 like this.
(Post Link) post #10 of 13 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

I am not sure I have any dpf issues left now. With maf connected power is back but engine stutters on acceleration. With maf disconnected no stuttering but a bit less power.
How do I detect a regen?
Any point in replacing the maf?

(Post Link) post #11 of 13 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieter159 View Post
I am not sure I have any dpf issues left now. With maf connected power is back but engine stutters on acceleration. With maf disconnected no stuttering but a bit less power.
How do I detect a regen?
Any point in replacing the maf?

When it is doing a regen fuel consumption will plummet and boost gauge drops rapidly when taking foot off. Mine always have a tell tale puff of smoke and a more boomy exhaust.

If you can access live data on MES you can check MAF readings and also see when last regen happened.
(Post Link) post #12 of 13 Old 3 Weeks Ago
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia View Post
....but no MOT ever again (a properly conducted one at least) and potential of a 1000 fine if you get caught at a VOSA spot check. New or properly cleaned DPF would be a far better option. The proper fluid by Wynns that you fill the DPF with (after removal) is only about 25 and makes them like new.
A cored DPF will sail through a proper MOT (well below particulate spec) as long as the car has been thrashed soundly for 200 miles beforehand, and it has a decent remap.
(Post Link) post #13 of 13 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
No it won't...virtually impossible for the car so pass the "no visible smoke" part of the test even if the levels are low. Also as soon as he taps it and find it's hollow or sees and welds that are not factory (if you do it that way) it's an instant fail regardless of emissions levels. Not to mention the big fine if your get caught in the road with it these days. Not worth it for the small gains you get. Before the law changed I gutted the one on my Jeep...did not feel any different afterwards!

Several on here have even failed the new visible smoke test...even with the DPF in place if it's a bit old. Mines now up to 218 horses (2.0) with the DPF in place...so why bother.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 159, Brera & 946 Spider

Tags
dpf , ending , happy

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page