147 Jtd 1.9 8V. Power Loss - Ideas Please? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By davealfa11

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 18-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
147 Jtd 1.9 8V. Power Loss - Ideas Please?

Hi there!

I could really use some ideas being thrown about over this one.

The back-story:

Took the car out today on a journey to visit friends. On the way, and after coming off of a roundabout onto a dual carriageway, I floored the throttle and got to about 3.5K when it felt like someone had turned the power off!

Simply put - I had no power at all for acceleration, in any gear and at any revs.

If I can explain better - I'll try; you know if you coast in a diesel, you can change up through the box and not accelerate, like you were in a slow moving queue of traffic and was just letting your car pull itself along? Well, this is how mine felt.

It felt like no turbo - no boost, but more than that, less power than an NI diesel too!

It was as much as I could do to get up inclines.

The car starts fine - idles beautifully too. Revs VRY slowly and there is no power in any gear at any revs. It does rev through to the limiter though, with no missing or lumpiness.

I had no codes thrown up - nothing to identify with.

Had to call the RAC out, who, to be fair, checked the EGR amongst other things. He 'thinks' that the turbo is definitely working as there seemed to be evidence to say-so (I'm in NO WAY mech-minded, I should add) but felt that I should not drive it further and therefore towed me back to my local garage, outside which the bella is now sitting.

I have thought along the lines of hoses, maybe filter (I wish) but after searching here before posting I couldn't see anything with the exact symptoms I had, so... any ideas or shall I just have a few more beers tonight and forget it and worry about it tomorrow?

Stu.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
sounds exactly as egr fault, if it was a split hose you would hear it, could maybe be small vacuum hoses. How did he check the egr, AA man who came out to mine fitted a blanking plate and all ran sweet to get it to garage to replace egr. Yours sounds exactly same as mine did no power at all, took me 5 mins to cover about half a mile.
(Post Link) post #3 of 13 Old 19-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Yep - pretty much the same - took me an age to accelerate anywhere. It was consistently no power in any gear at any revs.

Not sure how he checked it - I was in the car starting and revving (or not) so didn't see how. It's at the garage now so I'll be awaiting the call at some point during the day.

So an EGR doesn't throw a fault code then? I have nothing at all to go on (no codes).
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset
does it smoke? when was the last time the fuel filter was changed? though it sounds more than a dodgy erg valve tbh maybe vaccume pipe? or that flap on the inlet stuck closed?
I have even known it to be somthing simple like the air pipe to the fuel tank being blocked lol
(Post Link) post #5 of 13 Old 19-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Well, this kinda blew me away!

MAF!

Seriously!

I have had 2 156 V6's and replaced 2 mafs before on those, but they never had symptoms like the 147 derv had! Shocking power loss - nothing going on at all!!! I'm really really surprised to be honest, but thanks for the replies chaps!

In fat - I was that pleased it wasn't massive $$$ I treated the old girl to a full belt change (including water pump) as I thought it was going to be mega bucks to fix. Anyhow, maf, air filter (the others I'll do myself when I service her next month) complete belts, tens and water pump, including DX, parts and labour - £614.00.

Now, if they change the maf tomorrow and tell me she's still sluggish, I'm cancelling Chrimbo!

Oh, and the clutch and dmf are on their way out. That'll be next years 'perfect gift for the bella in my life' sorted out then..... gaaaaaaaargh!!!
AO Member

1.9 JTD 8V doesnt have a DMF.
(Post Link) post #7 of 13 Old 19-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

My 147 jtd on a 53 plate has a dmf. Do you think it accidentally fell in there?

Last edited by Stu69; 20-11-12 at 00:14.
(Post Link) post #8 of 13 Old 20-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

£840 for clutch and dmf incl vat. Is that about right? That's what I've been quoted today.
AO Gold Member

County: Merseyside

Member car:

bmw 335d coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu69 View Post
£840 for clutch and dmf incl vat. Is that about right? That's what I've been quoted today.
dnf are about 400 mark so i guess so
saurio33 likes this.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 jtd

I have exactly the same symptoms on my 156 1.9 JTD 16v - thanks for this post!
(Post Link) post #11 of 13 Old 20-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davealfa11 View Post
dnf are about 400 mark so i guess so
Yeah, by the time the clutch kit is added, and labour - I suppose it adds up. Cheers.
(Post Link) post #12 of 13 Old 20-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighlo View Post
I have exactly the same symptoms on my 156 1.9 JTD 16v - thanks for this post!

No bother!

It's weird; I hadn't suspected the maf as when they went on my V6 156's, it was a different sort of symptoms which I diagnosed by unplugging the thing. Never thought (nor the RAC guy) to do it on the 147 as the loss was under boost and so profound. I feared the worst at the time. Mind you, the mech hasn't called me yet to say she's fixed, so there's time for it to be something else!
(Post Link) post #13 of 13 Old 20-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

All sorted!

The bella is going brilliantly now.

Got cam belt, aux belt, tensioner/roller and water pump done at the same time, oh, and fuel and air filter too. £614.00 all in including gen bosch maf. Could have been worse I guess.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
147 , ideas , jtd , loss , power

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page