gt 2.0 jts. oil usage and compression issues? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 13-11-12 Thread Starter

County: Hertfordshire
gt 2.0 jts. oil usage and compression issues?

Hi All

This is my very first thread so please bare with me.
I have a 08 gt 2.0 jts blackline with 33000 miles on the clock, its always been keen on oil but over time its usage has increased to about a litre every 400-500 miles which i took to be excessive.
I'm not quite sure where to start with finding the cause although i've had a mechanic friend do a compression test for me, came back 150 psi on all four pots. Does anyone know if this about right? Also its worth noting he had to change the plugs as they were coked up with oil deposits

I realise this subject has been mentioned a lot on here however with so many different circumstances at play it would be great to get some feedback on this issue so I can maybe get an idea of where to go next.

Autolusso aren't too far away, would they be worth a visit.

Any help or advice would be very much welcomed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Bucks

Member car:

GT DIEsel

Ned always points at the injectors on those, but I'd swing passed his on Sat Morning for the free surgery and have a chat, it's only in Houghton. Where are you?
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Bedfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by savo View Post
Hi All

This is my very first thread so please bare with me.
I have a 08 gt 2.0 jts blackline with 33000 miles on the clock, its always been keen on oil but over time its usage has increased to about a litre every 400-500 miles which i took to be excessive.
I'm not quite sure where to start with finding the cause although i've had a mechanic friend do a compression test for me, came back 150 psi on all four pots. Does anyone know if this about right? Also its worth noting he had to change the plugs as they were coked up with oil deposits

I realise this subject has been mentioned a lot on here however with so many different circumstances at play it would be great to get some feedback on this issue so I can maybe get an idea of where to go next.

Autolusso aren't too far away, would they be worth a visit.

Any help or advice would be very much welcomed.
150 is fine for your engine but oil usage is an issues, by being sensible you may be OK, it is impossible to diagnose most thing from reading on line but with a JTS it is nearly alway injector issues, you will have fuel mixing with your oil thus thinning the oil and burning it. You may also be getting a splutter or miss at about 3k - 3.5k? That might not have started yet

Call me we can sort it, and stop using Supermarket fuel

Ned
AO Silver Member

County: East Sussex
From memory atmospheric pressure is 14.7 psi so if the compression on each cylinder is 150 gives a compression ratio of over 10.1 which may be correct it cannot be hard to find out.The issue would have been if one cylinder was way out.Whilst the engines do use oil sometimes the type of oil used can make a difference.Many will argue this point but using fully synthetic oil in an older engine will probably burn off quicker than 10 -40 at £15 for 5 litres.Finally oiled up plugs are not good news, maybe worn valve stem oil seals or piston rings has the car ever overheated?
AO Member

County: Shropshire
worn valve stem seals normaly give blue smoke on start up, more evident after leaving the car overnight and starting in the morning.
(Post Link) post #6 of 11 Old 13-11-12 Thread Starter

County: Hertfordshire
Blimey four replies already including Ned himself, you guys work fast. Thanks for the advice folks.
The injectors may well be an issue, however the garage I purchased it from had all four replaced along with a full sevice and cam belt change by autolusso's in march of this year before I bought the car.

Its never overheated while I've owned it in fact the needle always quickly climbs to and stays firmly at 90 and never budges an inch no matter the circumstances. Having said that it does puff out a bit of blue if gunned on start up from cold. (not that I make a habbit of doing this by the way)

The oil is always topped up with the proper 10w60 stuff (castrol edge).

Ned, you pointed out the supermarket fuel thing, the gt isn't my first alfa and im aware of a few of the do's and don'ts. I do try and avoid filling up at sainsburys, tescos etc but ive never quite understood why. poor quality? Would this effect oil usage.
In any case looks like visit to lusso's is in order.

Thanks again for the speedy feedback
AO Silver Member

Although i said worn valve stem oil seals its shows my age i should have said worn valve guides.A worn engine will puff smoke upon start up because of the guides and the worn/cold piston rings.
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire
Piston rings when you boot it, valve guides (or valve stem oil seals - cars still have them) from a cold start (play allows oil to trickle down over night then it gets burnt off when you start up next morning)
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
The car has done 33k miles, i'd be inclinded to look at the breather system before looking at worn valve guides/seal and piston rings. Are you certain it has 10w60 semi synthetic in the engine?
AO Silver Member

Hi, In early days valve stem oil seals went brittle cracked and caused problems, nowadays this is unlikely hence my comments re valve guides.The piston rings if worn can show signs of smoke upon startup untill they expand.
AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

ALFA GT

Hi.

Iv recently changed oil to castrol edge and have noticed its using lot more than the previous Mobil 10w60.

The oil might be a contributing factor

Keep us posted as to how it goes

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
compression , issues , jts , oil , usage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page