New wishbones fitted, one off knocking noise? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 12-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Gloucestershire
New wishbones fitted, one off knocking noise?

I fitted a new set of upper and lower wishbones yesterday and all seemed good today.
Steering was solid, suspension worked well with no noises coming from anywhere, but as I was leaving work this evening I had a bit of a scare.

I was reversing slowly out of my parking space with the steering turned full lock to the left and then I felt and heard knocking come from the driverside wheel. It was very worrying!

I had a good look and feel around the wheel with the steering still locked to the left and couldn't find anything that could be causing it. I also tried to replicate it again a couple more times but nothing as if it was a one off.

Any ideas what it could be?

It has me really doubting my handy work!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: East Sussex
Wheel nut not tight or the dreaded antirollbar bushes.These are a dreadfull weak point and a pain to fit.
AO Member

County: Victoria
ARB bushes.. erk - I hate them!

But it may be the drop links? Were they replaced when you did the 'bones?
(Post Link) post #4 of 13 Old 13-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

I have also replaced the ARB bushes and droplinks aswell.
Loose wheel was my initial thought as it was an intermitent knockin as the wheel turned, that seems on tight.
AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

GT Cloverleaf

a few days after fitting new upper wishbones on my gt i started to get a slight knock. it turned out to be the long bolt on the upper wishes had loosened a bit after the initial few days of use. nipped it up tight this can be done with wheel on if you have bendy arms. Been good ever since. 9 months now.
May not be the problem but might be worth 5 mins just in case. Next time i do the uppers i will be retightening after a few days anyway just to make sure.
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

147 JTDM 16V

Did you use a torque wrench to do up the bolts ?. The upper wishbone long bolt need to be done with a torque wrench because it takes far more effort and turns to get it to the correct torque than you would imagine if you didn't use a torque wrench. The bolt needs to rigidly lock the whole wishbone and support housing together.
(Post Link) post #7 of 13 Old 13-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

I'll check that out thanks! Something you reminded me of was that I also put the bolt back the other way round so that it doesn't need to go past the spring to remove it, in the hope that when I need to replace the uppers again I'd don't have to remove the whole lot. Going by advice on here there will be just enough room to remove the bolt with everytrhing attached so long as the nut is spring side.......anyway the end of the bolt sticks out about 10 mm further than the nut, it is close to the spring but not touching. Any chance this could be coming in contact with the spring? If so ill chop a bit off the end to give more clearence.
AO Member

Member car:

GT Cloverleaf

yes i did use a torque wrench when I first fitted them. but a few days use obviously loosened the bolt off slightly there was a slight movement could be felt by hand when I rechecked them. when I retightened I just gave it a couple of grunts (thats a technical term for tight) with spanners either side and they have been perfect ever since.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 JTDM 16V

Quote:
Originally Posted by alastairlever View Post
yes i did use a torque wrench when I first fitted them. but a few days use obviously loosened the bolt off slightly there was a slight movement could be felt by hand when I rechecked them. when I retightened I just gave it a couple of grunts (thats a technical term for tight) with spanners either side and they have been perfect ever since.
Then you must have done something wrong. There is no way they would have loosened off if they had been torqued correctly. Can't remember the exact torque but something approaching 40 ftlbs rings a bell, maybe a bit less, i.e. pretty tight.

Last edited by Alexie; 13-11-12 at 23:42.
AO Member

Member car:

GT Cloverleaf

You would have thought so. I've not had many problems with loosening bolts after torquing up before but for some reason these seem to do it. I've had a few conversations on here before about the upper wishbone bolts loosening and quite a few people have had the same problem.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexie View Post
Then you must have done something wrong. There is no way they would have loosened off if they had been torqued correctly. Can't remember the exact torque but something approaching 40 ftlbs rings a bell, maybe a bit less, i.e. pretty tight.
Yep, the upper wishbone bolt should be torques to 40 - 49 Nm.

The long bolt on the 'tuning' fork should be 81-89Nm.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 JTDM 16V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa156Melb View Post
Yep, the upper wishbone bolt should be torques to 40 - 49 Nm.

The long bolt on the 'tuning' fork should be 81-89Nm.
I thought it was higher but in fact but now I think of it it's the number of extra turns required AFTER it appears to get tight that surprised me. It takes a fair number before it actually jams properly and the torque wrench clicks. I guess this is all the metal of the housing compressing and the bolt stretching before it finally locks solid. I wonder if some people, who don't use a torque wrench, don't tighten enough to reach this point in which case the bolt will loosen and you get movement and premature wear.
AO Member

Sure yep.. also if the wrench isnt used much, it can get stuff in side and lose its calibration.. they need to be exercised prior to use to get the parts and oil moving.. this is only if they are used rarely that is.

I use mine maybe.. once every 3 months!! so I just set the torque to 50nm, go to a trailer we have and tighten one of the wheel nuts.. they're set to 95nm.. so all you have to do is pull on the wrench till you hear a click and just repeat.. cllick click.. and so on..

I am no expert, i jsut read the instructions

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
fitted , knocking , noise , wishbones

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page