Has anyone run their JTD on cooking oil? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 26 Old 12-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Shropshire
Has anyone run their JTD on cooking oil?

There are many opinions out there, most claim to be facts, but has anyone actually tried running their Alfa on cooking oil?

Some claim that you can pour it straight in to the tank (if its unused) and it will run fine. Others claim it needs to be mixed with other chemicals to produce biodiesel and make it more combustible. Some say as long as its no more than a 50/50 dilute with regular diesel you won't incur any problems.

I'm not sure I'm ready to try it but maybe if needs must in the future, another fuel strike for example, it would be good to know there is an alternative.
Thought it might be an interesting topic anyway to get other people's opinions on.

K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Sofia - town
I think alfa owners are too caring for their cars to put anything but the best oil for their engine. To think anybody would use cooking oil on their bella would be just blasphemy IMO. Oil needs to be changed after 10 000 km or 1 year, so that strike needs to go on for a really long time before we run out of supplies.
(Post Link) post #3 of 26 Old 12-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

No, you plumb! Instead of fuel, not engine oil
AO Member

County: Sofia - town
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6Hughes View Post
No, you plumb! Instead of fuel, not engine oil
Whops

For fuel it's more acceptable but it'd still have negative side effects if used for a long term IMO.
AO Platinum Member

County: herts
You'll have the seagulls, landgulls, chasing you and dive bombing you, thinking you are a mobile 'Chippy'

County: Oxfordshire
I think it could be done.

Most of the cars that would run on it are getting on in years anyway so long term side effects probably wouldn't matter much.

I would guess it would need thinning down somehow otherwise it won't go through the injectors properly.
AO Member

County: -
There's an in depth thread on it here: _
(Post Link) post #8 of 26 Old 12-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

That's an interesting read
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 166

The older none common rail diesels virtually run on any oil you throw at them.
Butthe higher pressure pump and higher diesel pressure through the direct injectors needs very decent bio fuel. It can be done but you'd have to be very careful about which oil you would use.

Even then long term affects are quite unknown for the time being on a personal level.

I've read that thread before and found it insightful. Good to see some calification on it at least. But the key really is maknig sure the bio fuel is to a high standard.
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

GT 1.9 JTDm

As far as I can see, the price of vegetable oil lags the price of diesel only slightly. It's only in the few weeks after a sharp increase in the price of diesel that it's genuinely worth doing.

If you have access to free oil from a chip shop or kebab house, that's a totally different matter. Getting kit to convert the oil to bio-diesel and properly convert the car will quickly pay off.

I believe the limit is 2500 litres per annum, which even if you can't hit the kind of MPG a JTD would get from a forecourt grade fuel should still be good for 20k a year or more.
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu ferret View Post
You'll have the seagulls, landgulls, chasing you and dive bombing you, thinking you are a mobile 'Chippy'
and dont whatever you do drive past a fat camp!

Even if you mix it 50/50 with normal fuel it would still pay off and should be ok I recon
AO Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

gt

Only the finest virgin olive oil will do for my car ... works out twice the price of Shell V Power.
AO Gold Member

County: Kent
You cannot use it. Scottys post is a good one
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 166

Little off track but I've often throught about installing my own LPG tank and running it through seperate injectors. Again its easier on older cars becasue they use single point injection and the electrickery is a little more forgiving.

In the end though kits are £500 plus getting them certified even then becasue alfa use a lean burn with wasted spark it becomes a bit more difficult and there is a good chance that burning the valves or running the valves dry becomes apparent.

As fuel acts as a coolant agent for pistons and the intake tract.
That an my car isn't worth the peanuts anyway but its a good alternative.

Become the Pump Duse / Common rail high pressure systems became standard (Back when diesels where fairly under powered clattery pieces of agriculture) you could get away with it.

With the more modern systems the DPF / Injectors all bung up and cannot get the spray patterns right with your run of the mill oil regardless of the mix.

It really depends on the injection system an as the fuel is made by yourself or brought else where there's not so much legislation behind it on your own home brew. Never the less there are people out there that have got it to work successfully.

Besides the furute will be in Lithium batteries and fuel cells but untill battery tech lasts longer than 4 years (Li-poly) then its a bit of a pipe dream. If they can get fuel cells to last over 10 years and degrade to 80% capacity in that time this too is a pipe dream.

If only we all had smaller cars that are electric driven. The Torque of an electric brushless motor puts diesels to shame.
I created an electric downhill bike that was faster than most motorbikes (Up to 40mph) but that was dangerous. It wheelied alot and getting the electric throttle in the wet was a scary concept that I hope to never experience again.
AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Larnaca
I know it works as a friend of mine does it but i would never do such thing. I dont want to risk and break something in the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu ferret View Post

We were driving behind a white van man several weeks ago and it was literally like driving behind a mobile 'chippy'.

In any case isn't this extremely illegal?
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

GT 1.9 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider95 View Post
In any case isn't this extremely illegal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamGT View Post
the limit is 2500 litres per annum
HM Revenue & Customs

See 2.4 -makes it clear.
AO Member

County: -
My colleague at work drives his diesel VW van on the cooking oil from our canteen.. No problems for him.. The exhaust smells of burgers though

Too early within my Alfa ownership to try such stuff..Maybe a 70:30 mix at some stage..
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire
I don't see the complaints about the exhaust smell using cooking oil, it's not like diesel smells of roses!
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shant Ole View Post
I know it works as a friend of mine does it but i would never do such thing. I dont want to risk and break something in the future
In an Alfa?
AO Member

Member car:

2004 GT 1.9 JTD

It's not illegal. The government even dropped the duty on it. I've done 30,000 miles in a Pug 306 TD running on 80% used veg oil mixed with diesel, it still runs fine. So all these things you hear about damaging your engine is rubbish imo.
AO Gold Member

You cannot say that. Engines can be very different from one to another. Just because it's ok in your Peugeot there is no logical reason to say it will be ok in an Alfa.

Let's keep the thread factual.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 166

Indeed its really about the fuel delivery system - That alone determines what you would need to run an engine on cooking oil.

Otherwise you'll have people reading this thread thinking its ok to go ahead buy some crisp and dry and whack it in the tank.
Gunk up the injectors in no time what so ever.
AO Gold Member

County: Lincolnshire
I think the biggest issue is the diesel pump. So I have been told.

Anyone have a list of components that the oil will travel through.

Eg fuel tank - well we can clean of thoseso not a huge issue. Etc...
AO Member

Member car:

2004 GT 1.9 JTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch916 View Post
You cannot say that. Engines can be very different from one to another. Just because it's ok in your Peugeot there is no logical reason to say it will be ok in an Alfa.

Let's keep the thread factual.
Agreed.

I would not put veg oil in anything post 1999 without serious consideration. And Ideally the pre-1999 vehicle will have a Bosch VE pump, or Jap equivalent, and indirect fuel injection. I have always bought cars to run on veg with this in mind, and as such have had no major issues.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
cooking , jtd , oil , run

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page