156 headlights - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 22 Old 11-11-12 Thread Starter

County: Arhus
156 headlights

hi guys, i want to change the headlights on my 156. it's a 1.6 ts from 2001. i have the stock now but i would like some white lights as xenon. i have read other posts but couldn't figure out too much. so my questions are: can the headlights can be changed with xenon/LED? only one beam can be changed? (short or long) or both? what should i be aware of? i must say i don't know so many technical details so please be patient and if some of you did it an approximate cost? thank you

Last edited by alexvancea; 11-11-12 at 11:43.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Spacecadet

You can buy and fit a high intensity discharge kit to your headlights for about £50. Only dipped beams. Mains need to stay as halogens but upgrades are available.

(Post Link) post #3 of 22 Old 13-11-12 Thread Starter

what about bi-xenon? a dealer guarantees(refund) that will fit even if it`s not D2S it`s H1. is he just trying to sell? i can give you a link from the website.( 10000K (bl) - H4 bi-xenon kit 10000K ) maybe an opinion about bi xenon?
Spacecadet

Problem with HID lights is they don't come to full brightness immediately, so they can't be used for flashing headlights. In UK, main beam lights must be flashable. I'm sure you could get them fitted as aftermarket halogen replacement kits, I'd just worry about the wait from dipped to main beam. The OEM HIDs on my car take about 3-4 seconds to get up to full brightness. If you needed immediate brightness, at speed, that's a long time.

AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMac View Post
Problem with HID lights is they don't come to full brightness immediately, so they can't be used for flashing headlights. In UK, main beam lights must be flashable.
It isn't just the "flashable" issue, it is also for when you switch from "Dip" to "Main", the main won't be working to full effect for some time and you will probably need to go back to "Dip" before then anyway!
Proper "Bi-Zenon" have Dip & Main on one light with a moving mask PLUS an additional Halogen Main to provide the flashing.

And obviously don't buy an H4 Bi-Zenon HID for a 156 because it won't fit!!
AO Silver Member

County: Kent
If you are doing HID / Xenon conversion, then don't go 10,000K kit they are stupidly bright and you will no doubt get pulled by the BIB's, as well as F*****g off all on-coming traffic.... 4300K entry level white light HID's are more than sufficient (and avoid any blue/purple haze in the beam also). With regards to the Side, Fog and Main Beam bulbs, simply replace with Xenon bright replacements for the full effect and immediate response from the main beam also.

Here is my 156 (at night) with 4300K HID kit

Last edited by PJ3074; 09-02-13 at 19:51.
AO Member

County: Shropshire
The K value relates to where in the color spectrum the light is, the higher the K value, the more into the blue/purple/violet the light color is. 10000k is usless, its nearly ultra violet !

between 4-5k is best, a nice bright white light.
Spacecadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
It isn't just the "flashable" issue, it is also for when you switch from "Dip" to "Main", the main won't be working to full effect for some time and you will probably need to go back to "Dip" before then anyway!
Proper "Bi-Zenon" have Dip & Main on one light with a moving mask PLUS an additional Halogen Main to provide the flashing.
On my 156 with OEM HIDs the dipped beam lights stay on when I switch to main beam.

Spacecadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ3074 View Post
If you are doing HID / Xenon conversion, then don't go 10,000K kit they are stupidly bright and you will no doubt get pulled by the BIB's, as well as F*****g off all on-coming traffic.... 4300K entry level white light HID's are more than sufficient (and avoid any blue/purple haze in the beam also). With regards to the Side, Fog and Main Beam bulbs, simply replace with Xenon bright replacements for the full effect and immediate response from the main beam also.

Here is my 156 (at night) with 4300K HID kit
The brightest HIDs are colour temperature a little above 4300K. As the colour temp goes up, the light output goes down from that point. I had 6000k HID kit on my last 156 and dazzled everyone with the poor light control, even though it passed the MoT with them on!

AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMac View Post
On my 156 with OEM HIDs the dipped beam lights stay on when I switch to main beam.
Yes I know, just like the std Halogen lights.

My point was about HID mains, not HID dips.
AO Silver Member

County: -
The aftermarket HID's a PO fitted to my 156 (dip beam only) go instantly very bright when switched on but quickly settle to a normal level. Is this unusual?
Spacecadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint_veloce View Post
The aftermarket HID's a PO fitted to my 156 (dip beam only) go instantly very bright when switched on but quickly settle to a normal level. Is this unusual?
They should flash brightly, then go dim, then warm up to full brightness over a few seconds. The initial dash is the high voltage jolt to establish the arc, then the brightness increases as the arc settles to operating temperature.

AO Silver Member

Gotcha - thanks
(Post Link) post #14 of 22 Old 20-11-12 Thread Starter

ok thanks for your comments, but i did not find any solution for my lights, everyone tries to sell, and the suggestions are general. it may sound to much but as i don`t have the knowledge in this field, i don`t want to spend so much money on trying. does anyone has a solution to fit xenon ,for both dip and main, on a 156 2001, no fecelift? i live in Denmark if it matters. i would like to know a specific case or some information about it.thanks
AO Silver Member

County: Inverclyde

Member car:

'04 156 GTA

Try phoning these guys, they should at least be able to speak your native language Zeatek
(Post Link) post #16 of 22 Old 20-11-12 Thread Starter

ok i did that, and i guess there is no cheaper choices than 1500euros it's a bit expensive i tried on ebay for 2nd hand but almost same price and for right side driving while i need left side. i am still searching but, do i need the projector or the lens to fit xenon bulbs?
AO Platinum Member

Where have you got 1500Euro from.....?

If you want to convert to HID just use an H7 HID kit for the Dip Beam. Cost less than 50Euro for the kit.
As already said in this thread, the Main Beam needs to stay as Halogen H1 for them to work properly.
(Post Link) post #18 of 22 Old 21-11-12 Thread Starter

ok thanks for your advices still one question left, if i buy the entire lamp for xenon bulbs,which zeatek recomended (for 1500euros) , can i use main and dip with xenon or it`s the same like having a kit?
AO Platinum Member

If you mean these: Alfa » 156 » Exterior » Lighting » GTA forlygte - Xenon
Those are the OEM HID headlights. HID Dip beam and (as we keep saying) Halogen Main beam.
They ARE NOT a direct replacement on a non-HID car and require rewiring and extra sensors to fit them.
AO Member

What about the legality of aftermarket HIDs ? I thought you need levelling kits for aftermarket HIDs else they are deemed illegal. Can someone please confirm.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakzzz View Post
What about the legality of aftermarket HIDs ? I thought you need levelling kits for aftermarket HIDs else they are deemed illegal. Can someone please confirm.
I've lost count how many times I've said this (ie several times a week for a year...!), the UK MOT does not require self-levelling or washers, but if you have self-levelling and/or washers they now need to work.
Unregistered

I would not use HID without proper projectors with lens. I know some cars use to have reflector type HID from factory, using D2R or D1R type bulbs, but the lighting is very poor with reflector HID and they are being phased out.
If looking for a fast and easy way to improve my headlights, I would use these : Bi-xenon Morimoto Mini Stage III Kit (H1) - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc
Can be found cheaper, of course. They have quite a good beam pattern for such a small and cheap projector.
Also, there are Chinese projectors available even cheaper on eBay and such.
Oh, not to forget, the ones linked above as well as the Chinese projectors are bi-xenon.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , headlights

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page