Wishbones & Rear Arms Fitting UK - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

AO Member

County: Staffordshire

Member car:

Alfa 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyf View Post
Keith Fancy doing mine ;-)
Scotty, is that you?

Don't mind doing the uppers much to be honest. Lowers I hate doing (although suspect I have to do some soon).

All the best

Keith
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 166

Most certainly is Keith.
I actually have brought some new springs and dampers as a matched set. But I thought if I am replacing those I may as well replace the upper wishbones. Since mine are now very squeaky.

Looking through the history would suggest they are original too. An the car has done 108k.
So a good overhaul is long overdue.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 33

Hi

Probably worth doing the lower arms as well. Uppers are not a problem, but suspect the easiest way to get the springs and dampers out is to remove the lower arms

All the best

Keith

County: Buckinghamshire
Just to add a comment on lower arms. Having followed the popular link on here to the guide by the guy from Germany or Holland? I can definately recommend removing the driveshaft first as it's a right p.i.t.a. to do otherwise. Only six capheads holding the shaft with nuts held captive by the casting on the back so you only have to fiddle getting the thread to catch from behind before doing them up tight again.

Having removed the shaft and set it carefully to one side, you can then take off the suspension leg, making the job lining up the wishbone much easier with more room for manouver.

I saw another post that said someone couldn't line up the furthest away bolt at the rear (into the soft alloy cast threads) and this stumped me also. I admit that I'd opted for one of the cheaper fleabay sets and, after much headscratching, it appeared that the casting was slightly more square than the one I'd taken off. So a bit of filing to make the edge more rounded seemed to allow it to position better into the recess in the chassis and from there it was easier to align the bolts.

Another tip on removing the bottom ball joint - As there is the disk shield preventing you from hammering a ball-joint fork in far enough to split it, I used the scissor-type splitter as sold by Halfrauds. Not the cheapest but did the job with little drama.

You're still left with a bit of wrestling getting everything back together, but definately worth undoing the driveshaft, as others have commented on.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstart68 View Post
Hi

Probably worth doing the lower arms as well. Uppers are not a problem, but suspect the easiest way to get the springs and dampers out is to remove the lower arms

All the best

Keith
Sounds about right looking at the skematics and reading alot of this site plus various guides.
Its a job I'm putting off at the moment as I've done suspension components on much easier setups and even that was a job frought with the angle grinder.

Would be nice to get it all done though and unfortunatly its not getting and lighter or warmer as the weeks go on. If you fancy lending a hand I can pay you in many beer and food tokens while you sit and laugh at me losing my skin while undoing rusty bolts.

County: Wiltshire
Also factor in 4 wheel alignment once the job is done. Either that or new tyres in about 4,000 miles.
kevjtd

lining up the inner bolt can be a pain......i would suggest using a nut and bolt that goes through the block to pull the block down square. then fit the outer proper bolt. this will hold the alloy block at the correct angle and allow the inner bolt to be fitted, once the temporary nut & bolt are removed of course

AO Gold Member

County: Lincolnshire
I also used another jack to help line things up, with a rubber malet......worked every time
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyf View Post
Would be nice to get it all done though and unfortunatly its not getting and lighter or warmer as the weeks go on. If you fancy lending a hand I can pay you in many beer and food tokens while you sit and laugh at me losing my skin while undoing rusty bolts.
Don't mind giving you a hand some time. Not sure when I am free though but should have a day free one weekend soon. Can bring tools, etc down.

If you do want to do the bottom arms then I suggest spraying the threads on those bolts with penetrating oil a regularly on the build up to the job. And also get a pair of ARB drop links (they are cheap and it saves caring too much about removing the old ones if they are a pain).

All the best

Keith
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa 166

Top banana,
I'll pick up the suspension some time from Neil at AutoItaliaparts on here as its over Cannock and arrange to meet you.
I've got most the other parts and I can just drive up to you. Saves you some hassle and time and expenditure.
Dont mind you just pointing and telling me what to do.

I've been spraying the parts on and off for a couple of weeks now as I know there buggers.

No rush though. I'll pop a message on facebook (Other social network websites are available).
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 33

Hi

No problems. Might be able to clear space on the drive!

All the best

Keith

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
arms , fitting , rear , wishbones

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page