Re-mapping Diesel GT Engine - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 15 Old 09-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Highlands

Member car:

***** Romeo GT

Re-mapping Diesel GT Engine

Hi guys,

My local garage is trying to convince me to remap my GT to give me more power and better fuel economy. What's everyone's thoughts on this? Is it a good idea?

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Shropshire
Yes.
AO Member

County: Leicestershire
I'm not trying to condescend when i say try the search function, but you will find out more from other peoples older threads then what will be mentioned in this thread, as they discuss a multitude of things regarding the pro's and cons of engine remapping
AO Silver Member

County: East Sussex
The engine is well capable of a good remap that will take your breath away with the difference. Driveshafts can be prone to early failure due to the increased power.I would go for it every time on a 1.9 or 2.4 diesel with reasonable mileage.A diesel remap can give a fantastic increase in power and the GT is a brilliant handling motor to cope with it.

Last edited by jim hazell; 09-11-12 at 22:29.
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset
just...... do it

p.s get it done on a rolling road though, might as well get it done properly
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.4SV

you wont get better fuel economy

the driving experience is much better

if there are any weakness in the driver chain - driveshafts, couplings clutch DMF etc, the remap will make sure they fail much quicker
AO Member

County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

alfa gt jtdm

The clutch is the weak link .How many miles have you done ? you will need a new clutch and Flywheel bill is about £900 done by your local indi .How long before you need it is anyone guess ,but you will need it .I am saving my pennies to do mine.I have no regrets about getting mine remaped I knew that this could be a problem I was going to have to deal with.As I am keeping the car for another 4 years I dont mind doing it .One other thing be picky who you let do the remap also get the EGR deleted at same time .I went to Gus to get mine done bit of a Legend on this forum
(Post Link) post #8 of 15 Old 10-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Highlands

Member car:

***** Romeo GT

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your replies. The car's only got 17,000 miles on it. 300stu, one of the reasons the garage has recommended getting the remap is because I've had some problems with the car (loss of power - not very often). and the mechanic is not a fan of EGRs. Think he may be planning on deleting it from the system. Cream, the garage assures me I should get better economy. Why do you not think I will? Is it from experience?

Sorry if this topic has been repeated elsewhere.

Cheers,
Stuart.
AO Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

GT JTD

I had mine done about three weeks ago. It totally transformed the driving experience in my GT; the overtaking power is breath taking (especially in 3rd), my fuel economy is up about 5 mpg so far. The car is much easier to drive, seems smoother and if you use it sensibly and don't 'boy race' it, it shouldn't give you any clutch issues etc.
So all in all, I would not be without it and thoroughly recommend it.
AO Member

Member car:

alfa gt jtdm

Hi A1f4 give it a few weeks and i bet the old clutch starts to complain lol. loss of power stuart need sorting first before a remap ,your guy an Alfa indi, if not go to one dont let anyone else near it lol
AO Member

County: West Sussex
I got my clutch done 8000 miles ago seriously considering a remap
AO Member

Member car:

alfa gt jtdm

I would do it again no problem .Just a word a caution be picky were you go I was .I went to Gus for mine also get the EGR deleted as well
AO Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

147 JTD16M

It sounds like the EGR is on the way out, my 147 began with brief power-loss which took a month or two to turn into a near constant problem. Cleaning the EGR sorted it out for a couple of years or so, I've repeated the clean but think I'm going to have a remap to delete it soonish.
Low mileage doesn't seem to suit a diesel engine, if it doesn't get hot carbon is deposited causing (in part at least) the EGR problem and further blockages elsewhere. First time I cleaned the EGR was at about 30K and 4 years old with lots of carbon present, second time was about 80K and corrosion in the EGR was the problem rather than carbon, I expect a new EGR would have lasted much longer.
Simply unplugging the electrical connection to the EGR should show whether it is causing the power loss as it will never open, you will see an error code on the dashboard though so not a long-term option.
Having the EGR deleted in the map is, I'm sure, the best solution, personally I'd be happy with just that and no power increase but it doesn't appear to be an available option.

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the evening.
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset
I'm sure you could get it deleted with out a remap but I expect they would charge the same price so a mild remap wont hurt

p.s dont forget a R/road done at the same time so if its not what you want you can see what you would like changed and see if you actually get it, also it makes sure you dont do the "its now 200bhp!" when in reality its only 170 :P
AO Member

County: Kent
Garage
I had mine remapped and all done on the rolling road at Reddot racing in enfield. Totally transformed the car and made it that much better. Well worth it, but my economy still about the same. Not complaining as the drivability of the car is such a pleasure along with the smoothness and increase in torque and bhp. Went from 152 standard to 186 after and was a middle of the road remap written specifically for my GT.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
diesel , engine , remap , remapping

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page