Front Shocks - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 21 Old 05-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Porto
Front Shocks

Well i didnt notice any issue with the car since mostly i drive on freeway, but my Alfa failed MOT today, seems the right front shock is busted, so i need to replace them. Any particular issue on changing them? as anyone done it? is there something i should be on look out while doing this job?

Currently waiting for the price of the pair from my parts guy, probably going to be Monroe Gas ones or something like that.

Regards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 21 Old 05-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Btw, since i'vent felt the normal annoyance that a faulty shock gives to you specially a front one, could it be something else thats causing the problem like for example a shock mount? Still according to the machine i got a 60% on the left and 30% on the right

County: East Sussex
Nothing special if you've done this sort of thing before. Pay attention to the orientation of the cup on top as that has to be aligned correctly on the spring, otherwise you won't get it back on the car.

If they haven't been off before, the torx head pinch-bolt that clamps the lower suspension fork to the shock will almost certainly need grinding off and drilling out, replace with the new allen socket head bolts....and if you've been over zealous with the drill (like I was) a nut on the other side.

Good luck with it, let us know how you get on.

All the best

Pub
AO Gold Member

County: Lincolnshire
While this topic is open,

I really fancy softer springs and konis.... Any options - the ride it too harsh.
AO Gold Member

County: Merseyside

Member car:

bmw 335d coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by a17esh View Post
While this topic is open,

I really fancy softer springs and konis.... Any options - the ride it too harsh.
its the dampers that give the harsh ride coupled with low profiles depending on your rim size
AO Gold Member

County: Lincolnshire
18s....bit of course I dont want to give those up lol.

Ill get some Koni dampers I think......just the fronts should sort out the trick.

Ill be doing the job myself....actually an easy job, just takes time....although those bolts...might get the garage to change them first.
(Post Link) post #7 of 21 Old 06-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubsinger View Post
Nothing special if you've done this sort of thing before. Pay attention to the orientation of the cup on top as that has to be aligned correctly on the spring, otherwise you won't get it back on the car.

If they haven't been off before, the torx head pinch-bolt that clamps the lower suspension fork to the shock will almost certainly need grinding off and drilling out, replace with the new allen socket head bolts....and if you've been over zealous with the drill (like I was) a nut on the other side.

Good luck with it, let us know how you get on.

All the best

Pub
Yeah i assumed that the the cup would only mount in one position so i'll use a permanent marker like i always do.

They are still the original shocks which with 8 years its not bad at all. You kinda lost me with the Torx head pinch-bolt, you probably mean the bolt that secures the the fork the the suspension to the lower shock support, right? doesnt it come off so i can use it again?

Bolt #5 in the image....

Attachment 156453

...NOT the long bolt that passes through the bottom of the fork.

#5 clamps the top of the fork to the bottom of the shock. The originals have a torx head and will more than likely need grinding off and drilling out.

All the best

Pub

Last edited by pubsinger; 20-07-14 at 13:02.
(Post Link) post #9 of 21 Old 07-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Ah i get it now, crap i need to know the size so i can buy a new one, tought i could just take it out and back on but if its going to be a nightmare to take out i'll need to get a new one.

Part #14819134

Pinch Bolt it's known as, see here

All the best

Pub
(Post Link) post #11 of 21 Old 09-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks m8, hopefully can use the old one since i intend to change the shocks this weekend or i can get a similar bolt somewhere if not i'll have to pospone and wont be a happy bunny! lol
AO Member

County: Warwickshire
Monroes will be OK, but if you intend to keep the car I would go with genuine Alfa IMO . After all, they did last x amount of years.
AO Member

County: Essex
I changed all the shocks and springs on my 147 and that bolt was a £$%^&*( and some more )&**[email protected]

Took me so long to get it off (The car was stranded on the drive for near 2 weeks as all corners had something seized). I put the angle grinder straight through the middle of the hook in the end then used the angle grinder to get the left over bolt flush with the fork then used a pillar drill to push them through.

I went to a garage and they couldn't get it to budge and broke several tools :P

Good luck...
AO Gold Member

County: Merseyside

Member car:

bmw 335d coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas147 View Post
Monroes will be OK, but if you intend to keep the car I would go with genuine Alfa IMO . After all, they did last x amount of years.
ro;;ocks damping rates dont match springs thus harsh ride with OE
AO Member

County: Gloucestershire

Member car:

147 Q2

KYB – Excel-G Shock Absorbers seem quite a good price and claim to be as good as OE. Don't know if they are though.
marlon

In my experience of using KYB dampers on 3 different Alfas they are softer than the originals. Took me 3 attempts to work that out though

AO Member

County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

GT 3.2 V6

my current tyres are a soft compound and this has made a massive improvement to the harsh ride.
(Post Link) post #18 of 21 Old 11-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

The shocks are here so i went on about to put them on with the help of my bro. Well no luck, could take the bolt off that pubsinger mentioned quiet easly and btw they arent torx mine is a six side screw with a washer and a nut in the other side and seems standard. My problem is that i need an extractor for the anti-roll bar and front upper wishbone, no way that is coming off with a hammer, so getting the tool if someone knows a good quality one not to expenssive that does the job please post, the oen i have doest fit in this case.

Will keep you guys posted, might do a DIY gide to help other people.

AO Member

County: Warwickshire
I only suggested to stick with genuine dampers after trying 3 types of dampers on my daily.

Whilst I did do more miles than most people ever would (almost 10,000 miles a month). Monroes and Bilstein B4s had that 'new ride' feel for around 3 months. The genuine Ford Dampers were good for well after a year, albeit they cost almost twice as much as the 'OE Equipment' alternatives offered from the likes of GSF and ECP.

Oddly enough, I have noticed a similar thing with cambelts on French cars (Dayco will supply a different belt to Pug dealers (Part no. difference and a thicker belt) to what they give to motor factors.

But I do admit Alfas do ride hard as standard.

I cannot comment on KYBs, but a friend in the trade seems to think they outlast most other items, and from two cars I have driven with them, they seemed to do the job well . A new set of dampers IME tends to transform the way a car drives.
(Post Link) post #20 of 21 Old 15-11-12 Thread Starter
AO Member

Ok, they are in! Finally. As i said i had to buy a an extractor for the anti-roll bar and front upper wishbone since mine was damaged. Had my brother to help me and what i tought it was 2 hours job ended up a 4 hour job, mainly because the tool i bought wasent the proper one (to big) and the springs on this car are hard to work with, still they are in. As for the number #5 screw mine came easly in both sides, cleaned them with wd40 and a metal brush and no issues putting them in.

If anyone needs any advice or help jut PM or reply now since i done it i probably can give pointers in someone needs them.
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

Which dampers did you get, KYB?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
front , shocks

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page