Upper wishbone joints made of cheese! - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

AO Gold Member

County: Principe
Quote:
Originally Posted by seymour beaver View Post
Ive got the cheese variety from az spares on ebay takes 20-30 mins a side to fit at £21 a wishbone it lasts at least year or more why is this thread longer than a book about the second world war?
Easy for you to say being able to complete the job in 20 minutes & there is no obligation to read an entire thread that obviously is of no interest to you when the size of it dictates that it is to others...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeviews View Post
Yes and with carriage and VAT total bill is £38.40!,I know I bought them.
Hells bells what's so special about them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Victoria

Member car:

n/a

re: greasing the new bushing...

how to do this? I got brand new TRW (oem) upper bones in the mail...the bushing on mine seems very solid, and its not just a sleeve, but huge metal washers on either side that don't look like they come off easy...

anyone done the TRW arm recently? - it may have changed to protect the sleeve/bush interface from contamination...

i can post pics in a few days if you need to eyeball it...
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
Quote:
Originally Posted by r11co View Post
Were the fixing bolts changed at the same time? Seems a lot of 'premature failures' are a result of the same worn bolt being used to attach the new wishbones. Stands to reason that when two parts are rubbing against each other they should both be replaced at the same time, but too many fitters are cutting corners.
the bolt does't wear, as neither the bolt or the metal sleeves inside the rubber move... the sleeves move relative to the rubbers
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wankski View Post
re: greasing the new bushing...

how to do this? I got brand new TRW (oem) upper bones in the mail...the bushing on mine seems very solid, and its not just a sleeve, but huge metal washers on either side that don't look like they come off easy...

anyone done the TRW arm recently? - it may have changed to protect the sleeve/bush interface from contamination...

i can post pics in a few days if you need to eyeball it...
dead easy, stick a screwdriver through the sleeve, and with a hammer tap the sleeve on the other side out.
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexie View Post
Don't think using rubber as a bearing surface is ever going to win any design awards. I guess the problem with such short wishbones is the rotational movement is high so bonded bushings that take up the movement through elastic torsion of the bush wouldn't work. I'd have thought it possibly better to use solid metallic bearings for the rotation and isolate the carrier from the chassis with a rubber mounting to keep the NVH down. But who knows, maybe they tried this and it wasn't up to much either ... or cost too much ?
the rubber lasts a long time if properly lubed. and the metallic bearings are less weather proof.
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

147 JTDM 16V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuore_Sportivo_155 View Post
the rubber lasts a long time if properly lubed. and the metallic bearings are less weather proof.
I don't consider 4-5 years a long time. Interesting that the rubber bushes don't appear to be lubed by the manufacturer.

It isn't difficult to seal a metallic bearing. They've been used on cars for decades, fit and forget, weather doesn't come into it.
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
I replaced both sides of a 156 today in 1 hour 15 mins including a coffee.£42.00 for the parts delivered from a to z spares on ebay from my experience with previous parts from the same supplier they would make it over a year without banging or groaning sounds.Some others may last longer but being at up to three times the price for the same part are they worth it,especially when they do end up squeeking!
AO Gold Member

County: Principe
Deja vu?

Not everyone is capable of doing so & I guess not prepared to have them changed on an annual basis...
AO Member

County: Essex

Member car:

156 gta

so fitting the superflex version is simple then - no hydraulic press needed? just push them in,no more lube issues with poly surely....
AO Silver Member

County: -
Poly bushes generally come with special lube - very important to give them a good grease up before fitting. If a rubber bush is rotating on it's sleeve (not the bonded type as is more common) then it will also need lubing before fitting as has been described above.
AO Member

County: West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahameo View Post
It's due to be done in May again. So I'll take some pics of the whole process then and post them up
Did you ever take these pictures? I'd really like to see what you mean as I have tried and failed....
AO Silver Member

County: Inverclyde

Member car:

'04 156 GTA

Decent guide here

I put Powerflex on mine and yes they now creak two years later. But it's a matter of dropping the strut and lubricating it for another two years. You can push the bushes out with a piece of threaded rod and spacers. I got threaded rod, spacer bar, nuts and washers from B&Q for ~10 if I remember.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00985.jpg (83.6 KB, 17 views)
AO Member

County: Warwickshire
Aftering having seen Powerflex bushes on an old 306 GTi-6 die within 6 months I would not use them again (OEM arms from Peugeot are still fine after two years). Superflex bushes seem not to be as stupidly hard as other designs, and seem to have a good fit and last well. The spacer tube and washer design seem to adhere to the original Alfa design too:

SuperFlex: Advanced polyurethane suspension bushes

One of my two arms have died (one that the previous owner replaced). The time it took? 1 year and 16,000 miles. This time around I will be fitting a Lemforder arm (they seem to last) and will see how it compares to the arm I fitted on the other side (a Vetech Arm now on 15,000 miles and with no wear).

As for changing the arms once a year, I thought Alfas were all about driving, not about being tight fisted and living up to the expectations of many a hater/VW lover (i.e reliability etc.).

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
cheese , joints , made , upper , wishbone

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page