Upper wishbone joints made of cheese! - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

AO Member

County: Leicestershire

Member car:

156 2.4jtd

Well mine just failed its MOT this week on upper wishbones AGAIN. I replaced them the weekend before last years MOT about 10k ago.
It seems these £20 eBay chinese wishbone are basically cheese, apparently the delphi arms last ages, but at 20 quid a pop its not so bad doing it once a year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorprox View Post
Well mine just failed its MOT this week on upper wishbones AGAIN. I replaced them the weekend before last years MOT about 10k ago.
It seems these £20 eBay chinese wishbone are basically cheese, apparently the delphi arms last ages, but at 20 quid a pop its not so bad doing it once a year.
What a lotta hassle..... Get some pukka ones from alfashop and be done with it. I'd sooner spend shillings every 60k miles or so on OE stuff
(Post Link) post #28 of 88 Old 09-11-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

If you know of upper wishbones that last 60k, please let me know where I can buy them!!! I'm lucky to get 25k.
Unregistered

County: -

Member car:

Quote:
Well mine just failed its MOT this week on upper wishbones AGAIN. I replaced them the weekend before last years MOT about 10k ago..
I'll repeat the question. Did you replace them yourself and if so did you re-use the old long mounting bolt?

This would appear to be the common factor in a lot of cases of alleged premature wishbone failure. The bolt wears as well so re-using an old one gives you less tolerance before knocking will occur, and the more times you refit the old bolt the quicker the problem will re-occur the next time.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r11co View Post
I'll repeat the question. Did you replace them yourself and if so did you re-use the old long mounting bolt?

This would appear to be the common factor in a lot of cases of alleged premature wishbone failure. The bolt wears as well so re-using an old one gives you less tolerance before knocking will occur, and the more times you refit the old bolt the quicker the problem will re-occur the next time.
I replaced upper 'bones' circa 60k for OE spec parts and new bolts. Price of parts seemed to be very reasonable all things considered. Simple common sense to replace bolts for new and apply a good dose of waxoyl for a bit of protection.
AO Member

Alfashop, eb spares, just to name a couple of excellent suppliers.
Unregistered

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leitrim155 View Post
I replaced upper 'bones' circa 60k for OE spec parts and new bolts. Price of parts seemed to be very reasonable all things considered. Simple common sense to replace bolts for new and apply a good dose of waxoyl for a bit of protection.
Silicone grease seems to be the preferred option. I'd be wary of using Waxoyl near bushings as it is thinned with white spirit and that stuff isn't too kind to rubber.
AO Member

County: Galway

Member car:

GT 1.9 JTDm,2007

where can I buy these bolts for top wishbones by the way?
Mymatemarmite

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfafrv View Post
where can I buy these bolts for top wishbones by the way?
EB spares sell them

Grahameo

Only ever had to replace one set of upper wishbones in three 156's I've owned.... That's in about 95,000 miles total between the three...
Secret: There isn't one!
Just common sense and a little bit of knowledge I learned in my apprenticeship

I'll keep it short:
Use a hyperdermic syringe filled with silicon lubricant.
Push the needle in as far as you can & inject into the outer edges of the bushes as soon as they start creaking (listen to your Alfa, more often than not, it will tell you what is going wrong).... Not six month later when you can be bothered! It's far too late by then as the damage is done...
Rubber vs alloy, what's going to win a friction contest?
The idea is to lubricate the bush so it doesn't get the chance to shrink (which causes the friction), crack and then perish... Job done and it isn't difficult.... Total cost £ 5.00 and you can use the silicon lube on many other items and parts etc.

How it works: it feeds the rubber and swells it back up to original size, as Del boy says "a little dab will do ya"
Or you can replace the upper arms every 24,000 miles, your choice at £££'s a time

I know what I prefer to pay!

I do this every six month and you can also do the anti-roll bar bushes the same way while you are on!
Prevention is far better than the cure..... Isn't it?

All three 156's have had the same treatment, all three have passed multiple MOT's with no issues from the bushes or arms and they don't ever squeak!

As far as siezed ball joints: The same method can be used into the rubber boots with some plusgas injected in, let it do its job then simply reverse the process using the vaccuum of an empty syringe to suck it all back out.
Then re-inject using the correct grease, give it a good wiggle on full range of motion. Mark the hole you made with some chalk.
Then rub some vulacanising fluid from a bicycle puncture repair kit to seal the pin hole you made.

I'll let you guys decide whats best on your own alfa's

Last edited by Grahameo; 09-11-11 at 23:28. Reason: forgot something!

AO Member

County: Leicestershire

Member car:

156 2.4jtd

Good call on the new bolts and the syringe idea.
I'm assuming though the bolt is not supposed to rotate in the housing, because the metal bits of the bush rotate inside the rubber on mine? If that is correct then as long as the bolt is tight enough there should be no play as it does not move. Obviously it is wise to replace it anyhow.
Unregistered

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahameo View Post
and you can use the silicon lube on many other items and parts etc.
Fnarr!
AO Member

excelent advice Grahameo

it only need pic to be noob proof
Grahameo

It's due to be done in May again. So I'll take some pics of the whole process then and post them up

AO Member

That's one of the reasons I swapped to a vRS, at the £2k end of the market was sick of changing them.
AO Member

A 156/147/GT owners definitely need some long term solution for suspension squeaking .... with your experience we are on a good way to find it
AO Member

County: Fyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazconns View Post
just wondering if this is the same problem I've got....under a more spirited right foot from the lights there is is loud knocking from the front suspension, it also feels like the front wheels are bouncing....2001 156 2.0 ?
Are you sure it's not an engine mount aswell?
Unregistered

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toso View Post
A 156/147/GT owners definitely need some long term solution for suspension squeaking .... with your experience we are on a good way to find it
You weren't paying attention, were you....?!

Quote:
Secret: There isn't one! Just common sense and a little bit of knowledge
Using silicone grease to lubricate suspension bushes is not a miracle discovery. It is commonplace. It is just that with today's 'replace rather than repair and maintain' mentality people assume that swapping in new parts is always the answer and are surprised when they hear that it isn't.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Also worn & past-their-best shocks help kill upper arms faster.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r11co View Post
You weren't paying attention, were you....?!
I was paying attention, but i always collect all the intel from everybody for my problems, that`s why i said thanks in plural form for all of you that share your knowledge with us.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 JTDM 16V

Quote:
Good call on the new bolts and the syringe idea.
I'm assuming though the bolt is not supposed to rotate in the housing, because the metal bits of the bush rotate inside the rubber on mine? If that is correct then as long as the bolt is tight enough there should be no play as it does not move. Obviously it is wise to replace it anyhow.
Quite correct. The bolt should play no part in any looseness because it is torqued high enough to lock the inner metal sleeve to the housing. The rubber bush rotates around the inner metal sleeve, which is where the wear occurs. Frankly dismal bit of design that would have been better off left on the medieval cart it came from !
AO Gold Member

County: Principe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexie View Post
...Frankly dismal bit of design that would have been better off left on the medieval cart it came from !
How would you improve it?

Last edited by 1of1; 11-11-11 at 21:07.
AO Platinum Member

I don't think any medieval carts had fully independent double wishbone suspension...
AO Gold Member

County: Principe
Were the horses remapped too?
AO Member

County: Wiltshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of1 View Post
How would you improve it?
Simple...
Before mounting the upper arms take some time to remove the rubber bushes from the arm (easy enough to do) remove washer/inner tube from bush.
Assemble everything back together with a nice amount of grease and only then put it on the car.
No noise/squeak and they last much longer
Remmember that after the correct torque the washer/inner tube makes a solid unit with the arm support.

Ric

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
cheese , joints , made , upper , wishbone

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page