Timing belt snapped - 147 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 31 Old 03-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Cardiff

Member car:

147 JTD

Timing belt snapped - 147

Hi, i've had a look through other threads but can't seem to find anything like this previously discussed. My 147 JTD (05) 72,000miles has been having low coolant levels for the last fortnight, regularly topping up. Last week the engine management light came on and i lost all power. After gving it time to re-set itself (as has worked before when i was having problems with crank sensor) it restarted, but died a couple of times on the way back home (only a few miles). It was booked in the garage the followng day, so asked them to take a look. (last visit to garage was at 70,000 miles service)

I was told that the car needed a new water pump and whilst at it to do the timing belt. They couldn't get their diagnostics to work on it so advised to book in at Alfa specaist garage (non-dealer) to look at the engine management problem (by this time it had re-set and light out). Car booked in for a few days to do the work, they said ok to drive home but water pump squaking a bit. Drove home (less than a mile), by the time i pulled up at home there was a bad smell and some smoke coming from the engine. Rang the garage and they said to bring it back. Said i'd leave it a few minutes to cool and head back. Started her up and drove about 100 yards and the car just died. Wasn't able to get the engine cranking or anything. Arranged for a tow to the garage the next day, where she has remained. Been told today that the timing belt has snapped, they're putting a kit on it to see what damage has been done.

Could the timing belt snapping have been predicted by the garage? There's no way i would have drven it anywhere if i'd have known it could be this serious

They're getting back to me with more details tomorrow and i just wanted to check out my optons. If we're looking at a rebuild, from looking at previous threads it seems best to stick to your engine as you know what's what. Cost wise though i'm just wondering if there is a lot of work needed doing whether it will still be worth doing or selling car as it is? Car in good nick apart from this.

Any thoughts/suggestons gratefully received.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Merseyside

Member car:

bmw 335d coupe

should have been towed in
also if they knew water pump was shot they should have told you not to drive it ,but with them saying okay ,maybe they may be liable not sure ,is it 16v
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire
Dunno about this one, doesn't really sound like a cam belt problem to me. The smoke and bad smell points towards a seized alternator or something else driven by the aux belt. The water pump is driven by the toothed cam belt so if that had seized then its game over right away.
The fact that the engine won't even turn over also points towards an aux belt problem.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

bmw 335d coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhopper View Post
Dunno about this one, doesn't really sound like a cam belt problem to me. The smoke and bad smell points towards a seized alternator or something else driven by the aux belt. The water pump is driven by the toothed cam belt so if that had seized then its game over right away.
The fact that the engine won't even turn over also points towards an aux belt problem.
if timing belt has snapped surely its THE problem
(Post Link) post #5 of 31 Old 03-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 JTD

I wondered if they may be liable? Any ideas how to go about this? It's 8v
AO Gold Member

Member car:

bmw 335d coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukijeep View Post
I wondered if they may be liable? Any ideas how to go about this? It's 8v
well they said its okay to drive and its clearly NOT thus belt snapping because of pump ,get down and see what problem is ie state of pump,expensive do ie valve damage so head off etc
(Post Link) post #7 of 31 Old 03-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 JTD

Quote:
The water pump is driven by the toothed cam belt so if that had seized then its game over right away.
Do you mean that the water pump seizing could have caused the timing belt to snap?
AO Gold Member

Member car:

bmw 335d coupe

Quote:
Do you mean that the water pump seizing could have caused the timing belt to snap?
or it falling apart ,yes .but act naive when you got to see then say when you seen water pump damage ,most garages worth their salt would say drive it but at your risk
AO Silver Member

I'm not convinced yet that the timing belt has actually snapped!
AO Silver Member

I wonder if the aux belt snapped and took out the cam belt. I've heard of this happening before.
The garage don't sound like they are familiar with Alfas as a failed cam belt on your engine will break the rockers, no need to put a new belt on to see what happens! Don't think you even need to take the head off.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

bmw 335d coupe

Quote:
I wonder if the aux belt snapped and took out the cam belt. I've heard of this happening before.
The garage don't sound like they are familiar with Alfas as a failed cam belt on your engine will break the rockers, no need to put a new belt on to see what happens! Don't think you even need to take the head off.
not on 8v they break valves i believe later 16v yes they break rockers
AO Silver Member

A seized water pump is the most likely reason for a cam belt to fail on the JTD engines.
AO Silver Member

True Dave, we don't know which engine we are talking about yet. The 8 and 10 valve engines don't have the water pump issue like the 16 and 20 valve ones do.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

bmw 335d coupe

Quote:
True Dave, we don't know which engine we are talking about yet. The 8 and 10 valve engines don't have the water pump issue like the 16 and 20 valve ones do.
i do he said its 8v and cam belt snapped and also any water pump fails on an engine with drive from cam belt will take it out and its not alfas prone to this
AO Silver Member

Yep, missed that one.
Obviously any cam belt driven water pump failing will destroy the engine. My point was that its not a known fault on the OP's engine.
Non of this explains the cutting out problem however!
(Post Link) post #16 of 31 Old 03-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 JTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by davealfa11 View Post
i do he said its 8v
He is a she, but thanks guys All advice much appreciated. I'm assuming rebuild costs are going to be mainly labour. I guess i'll now more tomorrow but just trying to prepare myself for the worse case scenario. So, for a rebuild, i'd be looking at new pump and timing belt (already quoted all in for just over £400), then valves, rockers if they're knackered (any idea how much these are for parts?)....etc

Could the cutting out of engine have been due to a sensor relating to timing belt or water pump?
AO Gold Member

Member car:

bmw 335d coupe

Quote:
Yep, missed that one.
Obviously any cam belt driven water pump failing will destroy the engine. My point was that its not a known fault on the OP's engine.
Non of this explains the cutting out problem however!
cam belt failing cos of pump will make engine cut out permanently
water pumps fail cam belts snap air flow meters fail lambdas fail cats fail,coil packs as well not everyone comes on here ,or other internet forums to find out,why or to say
so far we know cam belt has snapped whether or not it was water pump that caused it ,could be just coincident
AO Silver Member

Dave, she said it cut out a few time the week before!
AO Gold Member

Member car:

bmw 335d coupe

Quote:
He is a she, but thanks guys All advice much appreciated. I'm assuming rebuild costs are going to be mainly labour. I guess i'll now more tomorrow but just trying to prepare myself for the worse case scenario. So, for a rebuild, i'd be looking at new pump and timing belt (already quoted all in for just over £400), then valves, rockers if they're knackered (any idea how much these are for parts?)....etc

Could the cutting out of engine have been due to a sensor relating to timing belt or water pump?
sorry madam male thing may cam belt failed on my 10v at 60mph just before xmas total cost 1600 (i never paid that of course)but i had few extras as one injector was not to spec so realistically grand plus vat i had all belts and tensioners oil change etc as engine builder doesnt do short cuts as any good reputable company would
AO Gold Member

Member car:

bmw 335d coupe

Quote:
Dave, she said it cut out a few time the week before!
i apologise
AO Silver Member

No need :-)
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Bedfordshire
Sounds to me like cars is suffering from more than one problem, water pump causing belt failure on diesel Alfa is classic we see them every day. If it is an 8 valve engine (5 speed gearbox) than it is a head off extensive expensive repair, if it is a 16v (6 speed gearbox) then it is an easy repair if the repairer knows what they are doing. We do end up putting a lot of botched repairs right.

Ned
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autolusso View Post
We do end up putting a lot of botched repairs right.
That one that had 8 good rockers, 9 broken ones and loads of black silicone everywhere was a classic.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

bmw 335d coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
That one that had 8 good rockers, 9 broken ones and loads of black silicone everywhere was a classic.
17 valver
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davealfa11 View Post
17 valver
even more power, innit?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
147 , belt , snapped , timing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page