Timing belt snapped - 147 - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #26 of 31 Old 03-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Cardiff

Member car:

147 JTD

Thanks guys, has helped me get my head around things a bit more. Guess will know more tomorrow. Helpful to have an est idea of cost, thanks Davealfa11. If we're looking at around a grand (ish) plus VAT, do you reckon it's worth getting the work done. Have had a look and guesstimate a value of car in working order, around 3.5-4 grand. Not sure what the scrapping value would be otherwise. Just paid for new handbrake cables too as old ones full of water & were freezing on. That would be last of my worries now!! Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Merseyside

Member car:

bmw 335d coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukijeep View Post
Thanks guys, has helped me get my head around things a bit more. Guess will know more tomorrow. Helpful to have an est idea of cost, thanks Davealfa11. If we're looking at around a grand (ish) plus VAT, do you reckon it's worth getting the work done. Have had a look and guesstimate a value of car in working order, around 3.5-4 grand. Not sure what the scrapping value would be otherwise. Just paid for new handbrake cables too as old ones full of water & were freezing on. That would be last of my worries now!! Cheers
prices fluctuate i would pm ned at autolusso or ring him in morning for a chat ,scrap value not worth it spend a grand or so and gain 2 and a half more logical but i would try and get garage who maybe doing work to contribute to your belt failure if it was directy to blame regards pump
AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire
Obviously you need to wait for a more detailed report on the state of the engine, but if it makes you feel any better about the cost, the car was due a cambelt kit anyway - on age and mileage.....so the extra you'll be having to pay isn't that much.......

I know the actual amount is just as painful...just trying to put a slightly positive spin on it
(Post Link) post #29 of 31 Old 04-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 JTD

Thanks Trying to keep positive, just waiting for 'the call' from my garage. In the meantime I've rung my local Alfa dealership & spoke to one if their mechanics. He said if the waterpump not too serious & not leaking badly then they would probably have said it was ok to drive. Plus side is I guess that I was going at minimal speed (had just stopped to give way & pulling away) so fingers crossed the damage isn't as severe as it could have been. We'll see! Thanks for all your advice
(Post Link) post #30 of 31 Old 05-03-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 JTD

Thanks for all the advice. Well, a brief update. The car ended up in the garage for about 4 weeks in total, thankfully they gave me a loan car so not so much trouble.

The outcome was a garage bill of just over a grand -

Cylinder head - head skimmed, 4 new valves, valve seats re-cut head set, 2 new valve guides
New water pump, thermostat, & cam belt, new camcover.

After all that work she was running smoothly, but had already made the decision to trade her in. I have a baby on the way, and was just really worried about her reliability, particularly with the ongoing problem of engine management failure and engine cutting out. Not so good when it happens on a busy dual carriageway.

So, yesterday the deed was done, and she was traded in for a Mazda 6 2.0 TS2. A really sad day to see her go as i was quite attached to her (the first car that i had 'chosen' to my sepc). Hpefully she will go to somene who wil love her, drive her with a smile and has a deep wallet So, the Alfa love affair is over. It was lovely while it lasted. Here's hoping my bank balance recovers soon!

County: Aberdeen
My alfa this weekend, broke down Saturday, smoke everywhere, wouldn't start, thought alternator, put car to a diagnostics today, code chucked up cam belt problem. It's shredded and snapped, belt only done 30,000 but tensioner wasn't replaced at time of doing it, ooops, so yeh the problems you have had, sounds exactly like me as my car been having problems starting lately aswell, thankfully well still expensive but iv a 16v...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
147 , belt , snapped , timing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page