alfa 156 rear suspension - Page 6 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
So how many hours has this suspension swap taken you so far? The first time I did it I spent 26 hours over 3 weekends
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #127 of 155 Old 20-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Staffordshire
hi there

last saturday 6 hours + 1 hour last monday + 2 hours yesterday + 3 hours today and god only knows how long it will take tomorrow to drill out the fork so not to bad so far i dont think

i am just chuffed to have been able to do it myself as i was quoted £300 to have the kit fitted by heath road garage where we have our cars serviced and where mine spent 4 months later last year after a cam belt break but then i think the rear was easier than others have had it and yesterday was a breeze but today.....well......i might even leave it till monday and get a new top wishbone just in case i have nackered the other one

but i still need the torque settings for all the bolts does anyone have any clue

cheers

mark g

(Post Link) post #128 of 155 Old 20-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

hi there

no joy with the fork today because the bolt is high tensile it keeps blunting the drills luckily my uncle has a fabrication company he is going to mill it out for me tomorrow so another night with alfy on the jacks and axle stands got the shock and spring all ready to go on so get the fork back tomorrow afternoon oh well

cheers

mark g
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

ar

hi,
the local suspension experts change my suspension today (koni str.kit) If I wait for Mark to do it…
Ok, results:
When the job was finished and I measure the height - front and rear was the same.
They use nivomat top mounts on rear shocks if this information helps.

Front drops 30mm and rear is at the same height as been before (nivomat was shot). I will wait for few weeks to settle down and then I’ll measure again if any changes will arise at all.

Driving now is much more softer then was before i thought it will be harsher, but not, so I’m very pleased with the job so far
(Post Link) post #130 of 155 Old 22-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

hi there

sorry blazo i have had a few problems with things seizing up and broken bits plus i have had to put a new top wishbone on today as well but got it all finished and to be honest i am very suprised i thought the ride would be harsh but far from it the ride is very good and there is no crashing from the front i have hit a few shallow potholes (on purpose) and very solid. it is booked in tomorrow for the tracking to be done. can you put some photos of yours on here and some measurements from the centre of the wheel to the arch for a comparison on the nivomat top mounts and the saloon top mounts which i have put on.

i took the car out this afternoon to a local road which is very sweeping and twisty and the car is so well planted the kit is great for the price i will update in a few weeks and we will see how it all pans out.

it has been a great learning experience for me i havent done any work on cars for ages and i have enjoyed it.

and if anyone knows of anyone wanting any sport springs off mine they are free to a good home just dont ask me to fit them !!!!!

cheers everyone for all your advice especially photodave my blowtorch is my new best friend cheers matey

cheers

mark g
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire
wahey - glad to see it's sorted! The ride's pretty good on the Konis isn't it.

I've hit some BIG potholes since the ice and snow (not on purpose!) and you sure know about it when that happens.....

Blowtorches are great aren't they. Must be some kinda primal thing about fire.....
AO Gold Member

County: Merseyside

Member car:

bmw 335d coupe

i just hope everything was copperslipped up afterwards
AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by davealfa11 View Post
i just hope everything was copperslipped up afterwards
during fitting hopefully but +1 anyway!
AO Member

Member car:

ar

Mark my measurements from the centre of the wheel to the arch is 345mm on rear axle
and some pics..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before.jpg (31.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg before R.jpg (43.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg after F.jpg (29.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg after R.jpg (35.6 KB, 9 views)
(Post Link) post #135 of 155 Old 23-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

hi there

blazo your car looks good mine looks a little lower at the front than yours but the back of yours looked low before you had it done and yours has raised since you have had the kit fitted let us all know how you get on i am impressed so far

i know you live in Slovenia but what sort of cost was the kit compared to the £340 i paid

what did they charge you to fit it all and how long to do it ?

did they have any problems siezed bolts or anything ?

cheers

mark g
(Post Link) post #136 of 155 Old 24-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

hi there

i went out to my car this morning after my night shift and noticed that the front of my car is lower on the drivers side than the passenger side the only thing i can think of is that when i put the passenger side shocker on i tightened everything up without jacking up the hub......on the drivers side i jacked up the hub then tightened up the bottom wishbone....mmmmmm

any other ideas the difference is around 10 mm??

cheers

mark g

Last edited by alfyandmay; 24-02-11 at 18:10.
AO Member

Member car:

ar

hi alfy

yes a bought kit in Slovenia and i have really lucky the kit was old stock and they give me 35% discount of your price
Charge for fitting the suspension was 150€ and i didn't ask if they have some problems with seizded bolts. Whole procedure was finished in 5 hours.

Yesterday i measured again all the wheels height and i notice that passenger side is 7mm higher than the driver's side, but i think that is due to changing upper arm in my passenger side.
(Post Link) post #138 of 155 Old 24-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

hi there

well done that kit price is excellent and the fitting is even better i was quoted £300 to fit my kit i have also replaced the upper arm on the passenger side but to me this should not make a difference as mine is higher on the passenger side i will replace the arm on the other side soon as a pair is always better and i will measure again

how are you getting on with the car now all fitted?

what are the roads like where you live?

cheers

mark g
AO Member

Member car:

ar

The drive is much better, car handles really well, I’m so pleased. Because nivomat was shot I think that whole geometry of the car was bad and now fillings when driving are so different (read: better).
I notice today that the rear start to be a little hard when I pass the speed bumps on road that was not noticed at the start of the change, but ok is just a current filling it is to soon to judge.
I think that roads are bad, but I don t know what they look like in your country..?

Last edited by blazo; 25-02-11 at 06:53.
(Post Link) post #140 of 155 Old 25-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

hi there

in Staffordshire where i live it is pothole and broken manhole hell i think that is what broke my top wishbones 18 months ago

glad you like your kit the only other thing now is how will the tyres wear because of the negative camber on the front

cheers

mark g
(Post Link) post #141 of 155 Old 25-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

photodave

hi there

have you noticed any excessive tyre wear since you have had the kit on mine seems to have a fair bit of negative camber tyres look like this / \ as you look from the front. had it tracked up yesterday not convinced it was done right as the steering wheel was about 2 inches off centre so i think only 1 side was done when i got home today the inside tread of the tyres were quite warm going to get a second opinion.

cheers

mark g
AO Member

Member car:

ar

Mark could you please check your rear spring. Mine looks like that
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vzmeti.jpg (69.9 KB, 11 views)
Club Member
Membro Premio

Coils touching? :hmm:
AO Member

Member car:

ar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Coils touching? :hmm:
Yes
Is this normal?
Club Member
Membro Premio

No, its not good if the springs have gone coil-bound. Has this happened at both sides or just one side?
(Post Link) post #146 of 155 Old 26-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

hi there

mine is exactly the same so whats the problem the 3 lower coils are close together surely to take the weight of the car and the rest do the suspension that is why the bottom 3 coils are covered in a clear tube so they dont bang against each other if you look at the front the bottom 2 coils touch each other they are also covered in clear tubing

whats the problem then if indeed there is one?

cheers mark g

Last edited by alfyandmay; 27-02-11 at 12:53.

County: Buckinghamshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfyandmay View Post
hi there

have you noticed any excessive tyre wear since you have had the kit on mine seems to have a fair bit of negative camber tyres look like this / \ as you look from the front. had it tracked up yesterday not convinced it was done right as the steering wheel was about 2 inches off centre so i think only 1 side was done when i got home today the inside tread of the tyres were quite warm going to get a second opinion.

cheers

mark g
make sure the fronts are set to ZERO toe. That's the sportpack setting ie lowered suspension.

Don't think any coils are meant to touch ... mine's got the optional Sportpack Eibach springs and the bottom coils do not touch. The rubber tubing is to stop the spring rubbing the spring mount not the coils rubbing on each other.
AO Member

Member car:

ar

Hi,

On both rear sides 3 lower coils are close together. Could this be the problem with car safety?
(Post Link) post #149 of 155 Old 27-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

hi there

mine used to have the sportpack springs and they didnt touch but if you look at my pictures earlier in this thread you will see the springs are different altogether the bottom 3 coils are alot closer together than the rest

cheers

mark g
(Post Link) post #150 of 155 Old 27-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

hi there

so if the tubing is to stop the spring rubbing on the mount why is the bottom 3 coils on the rear covered in the tubing and the bottom 3 coils touch and on the front the bottom 2 coils have the tubing on them and the bottom 2 coils touch

i am going to e-mail larkspeed and find the answer but i cant see there being a problem

cheers

mark g

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , alfa , rear , suspension

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page