alfa 156 rear suspension - Page 4 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire
If it helps, I remembered i'd got some pics from when I did mine so i've knocked up a how to thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #77 of 155 Old 06-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Staffordshire
hi

thats brill mate i looked on EB and found the bushes going to order them tomorrow and the front shock clamp bolts which i also saw

its raining again here so shocks on hold again getting abit cheesed off actually have been waiting for the shocks for 2 months and all i want to do is fit the dam things car looks sad with its a*s on the floor all i have got to do after is get the wheels refurbed and a bit of body work and its back to its italian best

gggrrrrrrr

cheers

mark g

AO Silver Member

Heh I've been there afew times myself lately. Derbyshire weather this time of year........

I need to get underneath and check the lower hose out but really cba today, plus we're off to my Mum's later so it'll just have to wait another week!
(Post Link) post #79 of 155 Old 07-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

hey up

just ordered some new poly hub bushes and some front shock pinch bolts

the pinch bolts are £6 per pair confusing!!! bolts are £3 a pair and the nut is £3 per pair

does the bolt screw into the fork or does it slip through and the nut tightens it?

could cut the old bolt of if it slips through

cheers

mark g

Last edited by alfyandmay; 07-02-11 at 19:55.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
The fork is not threaded, but the original bolts will be fairly stuck in there. Better to get the whole thing turning, preferably with an air gun or something, and then 'push' on the other end of the bolt with a punch or something to help wind it out once you've broken the seal.
AO Silver Member

Actually, the later fork IS threaded. That's why I had HOURS of fun getting the bust bolt out!
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photodave View Post
Actually, the later fork IS threaded. That's why I had HOURS of fun getting the bust bolt out!
Ah, I never knew that. Learn something new every day.

I'd be getting a pair of the earlier forks then before starting the job, incase the threads strip out of the original ones.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Ah, I never knew that. Learn something new every day.

I'd be getting a pair of the earlier forks then before starting the job, incase the threads strip out of the original ones.
I know where you're coming from. Just when you think you've got it "down" they throw you a curve ball! (Like when I followed a guide for subframe removal, got underneath and discovered the lower engine mount on mine WASN'T held on by conventional bolts but by splined socket head ones!. Fortunately got away with using a 12mm hex key!)

The threads seem stronger than the bolts to be fair. I had to seriously attack mine with heat, freeze release and much "elbow grease" but the fork was still fine to take a replacement bolt.

I wonder if eb spare's bolts are to cover either type, being as they have nuts too?
(Post Link) post #84 of 155 Old 07-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

hi photo

so you are saying the whole thing is threaded and the bolt you took out do not have a nut on the end??

cheers

mark g
AO Silver Member

yep! Well, one side is, if you get me. In fact I nipped out and double checked about an hour ago, just to make sure I wasn't imagining it!

There's plenty of thread pokes through to get a nut on if you want to use it though!
(Post Link) post #86 of 155 Old 09-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Cry Like A Baby photodave

hi there

i have had my poly rear tie bar bushes delivered today and my new front pinch bolts

photodave

how on earth did you get that metal sleeve through and into the new poly bushes without destroying the bush

the hole in the bush meassures 16mm and the metal sleeve measures 19mm and there is no give in the poly bit it doesnt stretch like rubber as you know

if i try and get that sleeve into the bush it will rip the shoulders (the mushroom bit) off the bush

i have had these before and the sleeve just slips in and when you tighten the nut and pin together the bush squashes and grips the sleeve

the bush in the large metal sleeve is tight so will make it even more difficult to get the new sleeve in

any advice

cheers mark g
(Post Link) post #87 of 155 Old 09-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

hi there

got in touch with e b spares this afternoon and the sleeves in the kit are the wrong ones so should have some more on the way

cheers

mark g
AO Silver Member

Well that saved me scratching my head anyway!
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

ar

hello again

do i need any new dust covers for rear suspension or nivomat covers will be fine?
(Post Link) post #90 of 155 Old 10-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

hi blazo

do you mean the ones that protect the piston on the shocker if so i have not bought new ones i am hoping to take the old ones and put them on mine

cheers

mark g
(Post Link) post #91 of 155 Old 12-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

hi guys

well had rather a strange day

took off the first front wheel (drivers side) expecting to find the torx bolts on the front suspension instead found square nuts with allen key ends (old style i think)spent an hour and a half trying to free the bolt and nut but to no avail with freeze spray and a three foot tube on the end of the allen key and it wouldnt move the allen key just bent nearly double so gave up before i broke it

moved onto the rear took off the wheel and the hardest thing about the rear drivers side was getting the nut off the drop link as you can see from the picture sorted no problem

moved onto the rear passenger side and same again but then disaster

did up all the bolts,nuts,brake caliper etc then noticed the top mount inside the boot wasnt quite right so undid everything sorted it out then started to put it all back then bang believe it or not i stripped the thread on the large bolt that goes through the bottom of the strut and the tie bar....gutted

anyway got to wait till monday to sort that out but have put some pictures on

as far as the top mounts go you will notice how nackered they are and the fact that the metal cap on them is about 5mm taller than the saloon mount which i have replaced them with and that the top is slightly different the rubber is deeper

i had to remove the bose amp and box to get the carpet out on the passenger side

all the rubber boots and the bumpstops fit perfectly and are in suprisingly good condition

the turrets where the shocks fit are really rusty where the muck gets stuck so will undershield soon i am i bit miffed that i couldnt even budge the front ones and even more miffed i stripped the thread on the rear

the shock that was had it had no fluid in at all the piston just went straight down with no resistence

not a bad day but could have been better

cheers

mark g
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01785.jpg (84.5 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01786.jpg (74.0 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01787.jpg (78.7 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01788.jpg (159.0 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01789.jpg (50.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01790.jpg (65.9 KB, 30 views)
(Post Link) post #92 of 155 Old 12-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

hi again

i think it will be a trip to heath road garage to do the fronts cant see me getting anywhere near with the front

the rear hub bushes are good but i will fit the others soon was going to do today but could not get the disc cover off 1 bolt was very rusty but i think i can do them without removing the cover

as you can see from the photos there is lots of rust around

cheers

mark g
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01791.jpg (87.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01792.jpg (89.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01793.jpg (137.5 KB, 7 views)
(Post Link) post #93 of 155 Old 12-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

hi again

dont know if i could use a piece of threaded bar on the rear dont know if it would be strong enough i can get that from work but there is a fastener place near me so will go there on monday if no joy there will go the local alfa dealer to see if they have got one proberbly not but worth a go

dont know what any body thinks about that any thoughts would be much appreciated

cheers

mark g
AO Gold Member

County: Merseyside

Member car:

bmw 335d coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfyandmay View Post
hi again

dont know if i could use a piece of threaded bar on the rear dont know if it would be strong enough i can get that from work but there is a fastener place near me so will go there on monday if no joy there will go the local alfa dealer to see if they have got one proberbly not but worth a go

dont know what any body thinks about that any thoughts would be much appreciated

cheers

mark g
get correct bolt if you have an accident cos it fails im sure insurance woudnt cover you
(Post Link) post #95 of 155 Old 12-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

hi there

good point well put lol

cheers

mark g
AO Member

Member car:

ar

hi alfy

thanks for the pictures,
my decision is that I will take the car to service and somebody with proper tools and knowledge will change my suspension

So do you think if using self-levelling top mounts only difference in height will be 5 mm?
(Post Link) post #97 of 155 Old 13-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

hi blazo

anywhere between 5 and 10mm i think but if you use standard height springs it will look to high i think i could have kept the standard top mounts with my new springs i will keep the old top mounts and see how low it looks when the front is done if it looks to low at the rear i will put the old mounts back

cheers

mark g
AO Member

Member car:

ar

no alfy i will use the same kit like you.

Also one question the rear koni spring is app. 2 cm higher then the original (picture 4). Did you measure the height to the wheel arch after the job?

Last edited by blazo; 13-02-11 at 15:38.
(Post Link) post #99 of 155 Old 13-02-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

hi there

no i havent measured anything until all done but when i lowered the car it looked slightly higher than the photos i put on because the rear shocks were that worn out

the reason the koni spring is taller than the other is the bottom 3 coils take up the weight so the compression pushes the spring so it lowers the car

another thing i noticed is that the koni shockers weigh much less than the alfa ones so less unsprung weight so less stress on the suspension components wishbones etc hopefully will sort the broken bolt tomorrow and then i will measure the rear and see what height we are looking at

when you bounce the rear it feels a lot firmer but when complete i will give you a full rundown on what i think

cheers

mark g(alfy)
Club Member
Membro Premio

Those self levelling rear shocks are proper heavy, the standard Alfa non-self levelling are much lighter too.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , alfa , rear , suspension

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page