Alfa 147 Help Needed ASAP Regarding Immobilizer Failure!?!?! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes

minicooper-s

Alfa 147 Help Needed ASAP Regarding Immobilizer Failure!?!?!

Hi Everyone,

I have just the other day purchases an Alfa Romeo 147 2.0 TSpark,that car had previously been stolen & recovered and it was purchased from an auction that i frequently visit. The car is on a 52 plate so is very new still. When it arrived off the transporter it needed a battery pack to get it started then i drove it back home fine. The battery that was in the car was dead so i left in on charge last nite.

Today i came round to unpluggin it all and went to start the car up. The car trys to turn over but just wont, then on the little display on the dashboard i read it say "Immobilizer Failure" and also "code" in smaller letters?

Clearly this is the reason that it wont start up but can anybody please help me out as soon as possible as the car is stuck now on my driveway as i have no idea how i get it started now and how to stop this immobilizer message.

Any help at all will be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks
Dan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

did you try locking/unlocking/starting it with the spare key? maybe the code from the remote control does not match? if you have, i think you will have to take her to the dealer to sort out the codes for you..
AO Gold Member

County: -
Immobilizer failure means just that. The engine imobilizer system has failed.
Theoretically this means you can hot wire the engine to start it without a key.

If I understand it correctly if the code from the key is not recognised only the code warning message is shown.(multifunction display cars such as the 2.0TS)
However maybe both come into effect under certain circumstances.

If the code is not being recognised you will need to have have the keys recoded at your
alfa dealer. In UK can supposedly ring 0800 717000 as well as your local dealer.
The emergency start proceedure given by Alfa is not valid in the UK, as you are not given the code card. (Brits are considered too great an insurance risk by their insururers and hence cannot be trusted with the code card eek! )

Nemesis

Mini Cooper Man, just where in gods own county of Yorkshire do you hail?

East, South, West, or the superior North? I'm a northern lad myself

JackPJW

Hi, dont go reaching for the main dealer just yet. My 155 does this every time I disconnect the battery. Firstly do you have the master key ( brownish red colour - if not you could have probs in the future)
disconnect the battery again, make sure if it fully charged, leave off car for a while to allow ecu to forget what is in its memory. before you put battery back on touch the 2 battey leads together this apparently clears the memory on ecu. NOTE DO THIS BEFORE YOU PUT THE BATTERY ON. YOU ONLY TOUCH THE BATTERY LEADS TOGETHER NOT THE BATTERY TERMINALS.
Stick battery back on, make sure the terminals are clean and tight, give em a rub with sand paper before fiting leads, give all the relays around the battery a tap. The cross fingers and try to start the car. Seems like an old wive tail but works for me.
Steliart likes this.

AO Gold Member

there is no brown keys with the 147 - its just two remote controls (which are the same)..

County: Warwickshire

Member car:

Alfa 147 2.0TS

Re: Alfa 147 Help Needed ASAP Regarding Immobilizer Failure!?!?!

Anyone reading this the solution that worked for me to this problem (i.e. flat battery that when recharged wouldn't start due to a supposed 'immobilizer failure') was just to disconnect the battery negative (black) lead for about 10minutes. Then reattach it and the car started up as normal!
AO Member

County: Surrey
Re: Alfa 147 Help Needed ASAP Regarding Immobilizer Failure!?!?!

Just a quick post to say we also got the IMMOBLIZ. FAILURE error after the battery in our 147 2.0 TS went dead rather suddenly on Sunday. The car had to be recovered to my local dealer's forecourt, however that evening I googled the error and found this thread.

I drove back to the garage, disconnected the battery for 10 minutes and then bridged the two battery terminals (not connected to the battery).

The car fired up straight away and the problem is solved - so many thanks!

Peter N.

County: Kent

Member car:

Nothing

Immobiliser failure after dead battery on a 147

I love the internet! - One of my work colleagues accidentally ran her battery down which resulted in an immobiliser failure warning message and a car that would not start even with jump leads. I simply googled the problem and came accross this thread. We tried it last night and it works !!!

Simply disconnected the negative terminal for 10-15 minutes to clear the fault code on the onboard computer / EMU, put it back on, jump started and fired up right away !!

: - )
AO Gold Member

County: Gauteng

Member car:

Dodge Journey

Google is your friend
AO Member

County: Northumberland

Member car:

alfa romeo 147

i ahve the same problem but my car opens with the key using the buttons?
AO Member

County: Surrey
So did ours - just wouldn't start.
AO Gold Member

County: Perth and Kinross

Member car:

Jaaaaag

The remote locking/alarm function is totally separate from the immobiliser.

County: New South Wales

Member car:

Alfa 147

Hi guys I have an Alfa 147 twin spark 03 model. The other day the car wouldnt start and it read immobiliz failure. I couldnt get it going. NRMA guy came dissconnected the battery and reconnected it and it worked fine. But on the drive home the gauges on the dash froze in a position. It froze at 80KM revving at just over 2rpm. So I was stopped at the lights and the dash was showing the above readings. All the electronics had gone as well...blinkers, a/c, headlights, power windows etc and then it fixed itself up again and then it froze again. I got a new battery the day prior as I had few hiccups with it a few weeks back with the electrics all just cutting out momentarily but the situation is now worse.

Any ideas, I thought it was the battery or alternator but could it be something else.

Thanks
AO Member

Member car:

Good info in this thread. Been having the same problem! Thanks.
Unregistered

County: Buckinghamshire

Member car:

subaru wrx

hi guys after readin this i have a set layin around if any won interested i have key ecu body ecu ignition barrol door lock etc etc etc the complete lot if any won is interested
AO Member

Thanks from me too!

Called the dealer and he said I should have her towed in, but I thought maybe let me check the internets
AO Member

County: Aberdeenshire
Hi subaru78 have you still got the items listed above ? As i may need them for my 147 T Spark Lusso if they would fit into my model ??? Could you let me know if they would fit + if they are still working properly as im having problems with my Alfa 147 1.6 T Spark Lusso, i know youre post is quite a good few months old now but you might just still have them so if you do please let me know as soon as, thanks...
AO Member

Thats me tried all the suggestions from above & still nothing !?!?!? I've got until tomorrow evening/monday morning before i to tow it out to kirkhill auto services in dyce aberdeen, so if there's anything else that anyone can think of then please could you post it to me as soon as possible for me to try as im not giving up hope just yet... Here's hoping someone can think of something else for me to try, so for all of you Alfa Fanatics, could you please help a new/trainee fellow Alfa owner to get my baby up & running again . Thanks...
AO Member

I have just had another look at my 147 T Spark Lusso before i to tow it out to KIRKHILL AUTO SERVICES in dyce aberdeen & the fuel cut off switch had been triggered so i put my finger on it & pressed down & i heard/felt it click but before i found this out i had already connected my leads to my battery & tried starting it which it wouldnt start again, so for my last task before i tow it, i have taken the leads off again & am leaving it for 30 - 45mins before connecting it bk up again & am going to try it again just to see if the fuel cut off has anything to do with why it wont start but i cant see why it will start as the immobilizer/asr failure is keeping on coming up + the engine light is flickering on & off aswell ?! Ive only had my car since monday passed & all ive had is problems with it after getting it home .. Here's hoping that the diagnostics test thats getting carried out on it tomorrow will show what the problem is & hopefully it wont be much to fix (am trying to convince myself this) & it could be just a loose earth or a sensor somewhere that needs replaced, as after speaking to the service guy at auto services (which has 10 yrs experience on alfa's) said that it shouldnt be much thats causing this to happen but also said that 1 fault can lead up to all this to happen as the car has only done 300 + miles & had been sitting around since the end of may, so hopefully i'll get a call later tomorrow saying its been fixed at a reasonable price ? (fingers crossed) :/. I'll keep this updated & hopefully my problems that will hopefully get fixed in the next day or 2 will help someone else thats having problems with their 147 ??? Wish me luck ..
AO Member

Hi minicooper - s i had the exact same problem with my 2004 147 T-Spark Lusso, i had just bought the car & everything seemed fine at the time so i bought it, then driving it home which only took 20 - 30 mins. Then after parking it in my driveway for around 10 mins i went bk out to start it but it wouldn't start atall, it was coming up on the dash board "immobilizer failure", i was going mad as i just spent a small fortune on buying a car that only took me home then wouldn't start again, anyway after the immobilizer failure came up the car wouldn't start atll so i thought of coming online to the alfa owners club & put on what had happened to me, so a few ppl suggested to check the earth leads from the throttle body +the earth on my ngine which i checked but still no joy then someone said to take the leads off my battery & leave it for 20 - 30 mins which i did then i connected them bk up & it started, so i thought GREAT THATS IT FIXED !!! The next morning i went to start it & the same messages came bk up but this time my engine management light started flickering on & off aswell now so i was totally lost + i was without a car that i had just bought the day before, so i put on here what my car was doing now i.e - engine light flickering etc so i ended up having to get it towed to kirkhill auto services in dyce aberdeen & they did a diagnostics test on it which came bk that my ECU was faulty so i put a request on here for a ECU for my car model & without any time atall i got a message bk the same day from neil @ italiaautoparts saying that he had 1 on his shelf so i got it, removed my old parts & fitted the new parts & the 1st time i turned the key it started ... I was so releived as i had spent quite a bit of money buying the car + the diagnostics test, then thinking that i had been totally ripped off & would maybe have had to either sell the parts on for spares or scrap the car, which in the end im so glad i never did either as im in love with my 147 now & i cant thank neil from italiaautoparts enough for the time he took with me on the phone + the time it took for the part to arive after ordering it from him (2days) & now i have a new car again !!!! So minicooper-s if there is anything that i have wrote here reminds of youre car then just message me bk & i'll try help you as much as i can cause the way youre car sounds, it sounds just like what my car did so get bk in touch & hopefully we'll get youre car going asap, cheers Mark...

County: Dingli

Member car:

Alfa 147

Hi Mark

I am following your post and it seems that my 147 hs the same symptoms. Can you pls tell me which ECU you changed? The main engine ECU? How much did it cost?

thanks
Karl
AO Member

Hi Schumiii, i had a complete nightmare to start with BUT there is solutions as everyone else above has listed everything i tried before i got a diagnostics done telling me that it was the E.C.U that had packed up in the engine.... Anyway i got a replacement off of here for 150 from a guy on here called (italiaautoparts) & as soon as i fitted it which by the way is no problem even if youre not great with cars, 1st turn of the key & it fired up straight away & since had no problems ... I totally understand where you are at the moment as you have a car that you cant even get started never mind drive it... There is someone else on here that reconditions them aswell i think his name is either GUS or ALFAPAT ??? Its defo 1 of them so if i was you i would contact the 3 names i have given you & ask them what they could do to help you !!! Hope you get some luck, actually im sure you will .... Let me know how you get on
AO Member

County: Lincolnshire

Member car:

147 TS 1.6 Lusso

The alternator went on my 147 and it sat for a couple of weeks. Just had alternator replace and drove it for a mile before it died whilst turning. Now says Immobilizer. Code. Required, obviously I don't have this and have only one key and no master. Have disconnected the batteryand also the Immobilizer. Antenna wires around ignition barrel but still no joy. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 147

An unconnected earth for the ECU will give the same issue

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
147 , alfa , asap , failure , immobilizer , needed