Where to Put Axle Stands - Photo? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 31 Old 09-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 TS 2.0

Where to Put Axle Stands - Photo?

I've seen the same question loads of times on here - where should you put the jack and axle stands when jacking up a 156?

For me, it would be nice to have a big picture somewhere showing safe places to put them. I came across Chris155's awesome photo of the bottom of a 156 (here), and would love to have this annotated with things like where to jack and put stands, etc.

If I had a clue where these places were, I'd do it, but sadly I haven't

Would any of you kind experts out there be willing to do this? I think it'd be really handy for the less knowledgable among us who want to do some basic maintenance (e.g. oil changes) without accidentally punching a hole through the bottom of their car...

... Oh, and another quick question ... no one ever mentions using a pair of ramps instead, any reason?

Last edited by TwinSprout; 09-01-09 at 16:10. Reason: Added ramps question
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

County: Cork
Garage
Re: Where to Put Axle Stands - Photo?

Not being funny but why not use the jacking points as describe in the manual
(Post Link) post #3 of 31 Old 09-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 TS 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
Hehe, OK, jacking isn't really the issue but I have seen it asked many times. It's positioning the axle stands that is really the thing.

I guess when you know what you're doing it seems silly, but the cost of getting it wrong means a bit of healthy paranoia doesn't seem like a bad idea!

County: West Lothian
Garage

Hope these help.

Obviously, avoid areas such as the floor, spare wheel-well, fuel tank, sump, gearbox etc, marked by the large red crosses in the photos. At the rear, also avoid at all cost the 4 track control arms (marked by the small red crosses) as they will bend if you put anything under them and you'll end up with the rear wheels pointing in a direction other than straight. I speak from experience here, as a tyre fitter managed to put his jack there briefly, bent one of the arms ever so slightly, realised what he had done and repositioned the jack, but ever so thoughtfully 'forgot' to mention it to me. At a glance, the tow-out that the nearside rear wheel now had was not obvious, but as I accelerated up the road the steering from the rear, supermarket trolley handling certainly was.

I used to put my stands in any of the positions marked by the green circles. In addition, if you have a suitable sized piece of wood (mine was about 18" long x 9" wide x 1" thick), you can place it under the rear central suspension casting (marked with the green [-----] ) so as to spread the load over the whole casting and then insert either a trolley jack under the wood so as to raise the whole rear of the car at once, or support the whole rear with stands (at least 2 in this area), if you need to keep access around the wheels clear for a particular job

You can also of course put them at the normal jacking points (yellow arrows).

Of course, these are just my personal choices and others may choose to disagree for whatever reasons but no-matter what you choose to do, remember that safety is paramount

For Info & enquiries e-mail
[email protected]

Last edited by RomeoRaiderZ; 24-02-09 at 22:25. Reason: Photos reloaded
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeoraider View Post
...You can also of course put them at the normal jacking points (yellow arrows).
I would only use those.
(Post Link) post #6 of 31 Old 09-01-09 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156 TS 2.0

That's fantastic! Thanks mate

Like I said, it might seem silly to people who know exactly where a car's structure can support it's own weight, but to those of us that don't, it's really really helpful to actually see it like that.
AO Platinum Member

County: herts

If you are DIY'ing with a decent trolley jack, a lifting beam with adjustable pads is a worthwhile bit of kit to have?:
Unregistered

County: Wexford

Quote:
Hope these help.

..... if you have a suitable sized piece of wood (mine was about 18" long x 9" wide x 1" thick), you can place it under the rear central suspension casting (marked with the green [-----] ) so as to spread the load over the whole casting and then insert either a trolley jack under the wood so as to raise the whole rear of the car at once, or support the whole rear with stands (at least 2 in this area),.......
don;t let Chris155 read this, he'll blow a fuse.
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by David P View Post
the jack goes on the jacking points and raises the car , axle stand goes in to a different postion , then lower the car onto stand .

it is a very valid question that is being asked . it depends on what kind of jack you use ie trolley jack or jack that comes with the car .

Last edited by scot360; 09-01-09 at 19:49.
AO Member

County: Greater Manchester

Can I just ask something?
In Chris155's pics is the location that the 4-poster is supporting the car OK for the 4-poster obviously? I notice that it isn't under the jacking points
AO Platinum Member

What do you mean, a Bradbury Type four poster, with wheel free trammels? Or those side lifts?
AO Member

County: Greater Manchester

The 4-poster side lifter you can see in the pics
Unregistered

County: Wiltshire

It's crushed the jacking points, you'll never get the wheel jack on there now.
AO Platinum Member

It's a twin side lift, with four adjustable arms and pads, iirc.
Unregistered

County: Wiltshire

It is, but without the sloted pads it's being used incorrectly.
Chris155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaky View Post
It's crushed the jacking points, you'll never get the wheel jack on there now.
Actually, it hasn't.... I used foam pads under the lift but the sills were fundamentally crushed when I bought the car 2 years ago.

Chris155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Service Enginee View Post
don;t let Chris155 read this, he'll blow a fuse.
Why?

Pat if you're going to persist in following me around the forums, trying to discredit me, I WILL return the gesture and we both know who'll win.

AO Platinum Member

Bad news there, I hate seeing dented floor pans and the like. That's one reason I despise seeing trolley jacks wheeled out at tyre fitting bays.:
AO Platinum Member

Time for a piccy of my faithful old Bradbury with its jacking beam methinks, which I'll post later if I feel up to it.:
AO Gold Member

County: Suffolk

Member car:

Mazda 6 zugara

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSprout View Post
... Oh, and another quick question ... no one ever mentions using a pair of ramps instead, any reason?
I'd never use ramps again due to the lovely big gouge in the sides of my front bumper
AO Member

County: Fife
Quote:
...You can also of course put them at the normal jacking points (yellow arrows).
Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
I would only use those.
Maybe i'm missing something David, but if these x4 points (2 front & 2 rear) are the only safe places to jack or use axle stands - how can you use both trolley jacks and axle stands at the same time?
I need to jack up on a x2 safe place's so that i can then place the axle stands at another x2 safe places.
What would you then suggest would be best to jack from if the axle stands are placed at the jack points?

I'm altogther willing to believe i'm missing something obvious here, but i'm just about to jack up and axle stand the rear of my 156 for the first time (to do my pads + discs) and apart from the rear jack points i dont see any other good jacking points i really trust from a first glance.

The aluminium alloy suspension axle(?) - i'm not sure if it has the strength in that direction to take the weight of the car safely - is this wrong?
I don't like the idea of jacking on the trailing arm mount/bushes without stressing the joint and possibly causing damage or wear - and from the pic it looks like there isn't much on the hub end to grip/balance a jack or a stand on.

Maybe it'll be clearer when i go have a look underneath.

It was easy on the 155, just jack under the spring on the trailing arm on the perfect shaped recess, then axle stands on the square chassis jack points next to the sills.

Thanks for the thread pics and info, i've got a good starting point now.

Cheers, Mark.

"Free your mind, and your @ss will follow" - George Clinton
AO Platinum Member

There are four jacking points at the front.
Two at the sill (obviously one on each side!) and also two round jacking points further in.
Easy to see if you look under the car.

At the rear I can just about get my trolley jack and the axle stand in the same place at the one jacking point on each side.

Use a block of wood on the stands & jack to protect bodywork.
AO Member

Thanks David,

I'd be struggling to get both in there at the rear (oo-er missus).
I'll probably jack at those points and put the stands under the large side-to-side-ways alloy suspension-thing(?) (very technical description i know lol...), just as a fall fail safe, with most of the weight kept on the jacks.

Just want to check something - the rear jack point is defiinately the widened section of the inside part of the sill with the big hole in it, right? (as at the point of the arrows in the pic) I just started jacking under one of these (similiar place to the ones on the 155) and heard the nasty splitting/creak sound i normally associate with sill seams starting to give way.
I'll try the other side and see how i get on.

As a passing question - why do you have to remove the handbrake cables ends from the calipers when replacing the rear discs and pads?
I've never done it on any other car i've owned but i saw this stated in the How-To pdf i either got from here 156.net. Maybe something i've been missing without realising it all this time?

Cheers, Mark.
AO Platinum Member

Re the rear pads & cable: no. But you will need a piston rewind tool.

DON'T use the lightweight alloy rear crossmember.
You can get both close enough together at the rear jacking points.
The location on the Sportpack/Veloce is easy to spot because of the removable jacking point covers on the plastic sills.
Not sure how close it is to that hole in the pic and it is too cold outside to go and check...
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
Re the rear pads & cable: no. But you will need a piston rewind tool.
DON'T use the lightweight alloy rear crossmember.
You can get both close enough together at the rear jacking points.
The location on the Sportpack/Veloce is easy to spot because of the removable jacking point covers on the plastic sills.
Not sure how close it is to that hole in the pic and it is too cold outside to go and check...
Got finished about 9pm on Sun after a number of setbacks. Bl00dy cold.

I bought piston spreaders and the draper cube windback tool a few months back, after years of struggling while replacing brakes - common sense finally beat tightness

Jacking point - what i was trying to say was that i assume the recommended re-inforced underbody jacking point (couldn't find one listed in the user manual) is the flat inside of the sill at the 3 inch section where it widens (where the hole is) ... rather than on the re-inforced thin sill seam (where i assume the standard Alfa jack fits with a 'V' grooved head - i haven't actually had the jack out to have a look at it yet).

Speaking of which, the creaking/splitting sound didn't repeat on either side - i think i may have been grinding grit with the trolley jack wheels - metal on metal.

This is because i need to use long metal plates under the wheels of the jacks (for the wheels to travel along as the jack moves), as otherwise the wheels sink into my driveway tarmac causing dents and then the jack movement jams and the car starts to be winched towards the stuck wheels - lovely and safe. Thank you Redrow for you wonderful quality housebuilding...
So i need to use x8 2mm metal plate sheets carefully positioned under the wheels of the 2 trolley jacks - a right PITA!
If i put a lot of weight on the axle stands, ie if they are being used to completely take the weight of the front or rear - they also sink into the drive leaving minature alien tripod dents

For this reason i can't use the trolley jacks and axle stands right next to each other, the metal plates (with upturned lips along their length, on each side) get in the way. Another PITA.

I placed the axle stands with wood blocks under the alloy crossmember, without any real weight, in case of jack failure. Then next day saw your comment lol. Guess i was right to be concerned about its loading capabilities. Still cant see anywhere else for me to use with my driveway surface restrictions unfortunately.

Thanks for the advice.
Cheers, Mark.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
axle , photo , put , stands

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page