How to disassemble drive shafts? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Spain
How to disassemble drive shafts?

Im taking away the gearbox on my 147 1.6ts and now im at the point of taking away the drive shafts but Im not sure how to do it, I have in front of me two kind of bolts, allen and hexagonal.
I dont want to change anything, just to take away.

Can somebody explain how to do it? thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg driveshaft2.jpg (43.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg driveshaft.jpg (60.6 KB, 12 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 11 Old 1 Week Ago
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
Go from the Allen end. The nut is actually locked by a flat on the drive flange. Only when the bolt is really loose does the nut turn.

Not sure what you are doing, but it might be easier just pull the whole shaft out of the differential. Gearbox end shaft is held in by a circlip (just yank or pry it out), and the engine end is held in by the cross shaft bearing.
(Post Link) post #3 of 11 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxe View Post
Go from the Allen end. The nut is actually locked by a flat on the drive flange. Only when the bolt is really loose does the nut turn.

Not sure what you are doing, but it might be easier just pull the whole shaft out of the differential. Gearbox end shaft is held in by a circlip (just yank or pry it out), and the engine end is held in by the cross shaft bearing.
Really just pulling It comes to me? Just so? Maybe i have to do It stronger...I thought I had to unbolt something.
(Post Link) post #4 of 11 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Silver Member

County: -
As rxe stated, you could unbolt the driveshaft at the 6, 6mm Allen bolts which would later need a 10mm? spanner to stop the nuts from turning.

It is not possible to just pull the driveshaft assembly out of the gearbox. It would need a prybar with a firm, sharp force to displace it from the differential. It would loose gear oil doing so, so have a basin nearby to catch the gear oil. It will be dirty, so refill with quality fluid of 75W/80 or 75W/85 of GL4 quality, I'm sure. Fuchs is recommend (Sintofluid or Sintopoid).
A JTD should need 2.25 litres to change.
(Post Link) post #5 of 11 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruity View Post
As rxe stated, you could unbolt the driveshaft at the 6, 6mm Allen bolts which would later need a 10mm? spanner to stop the nuts from turning.

It is not possible to just pull the driveshaft assembly out of the gearbox. It would need a prybar with a firm, sharp force to displace it from the differential. It would loose gear oil doing so, so have a basin nearby to catch the gear oil. It will be dirty, so refill with quality fluid of 75W/80 or 75W/85 of GL4 quality, I'm sure. Fuchs is recommend (Sintofluid or Sintopoid).
I Will change the gear oil anyway, I want yo change the clutch slave cilinder, so...whats the faster and easier way to take away the driveshaft?

As far I understand I have to take away allen nuts, no?

Last edited by M0ises; 1 Week Ago at 05:49.
(Post Link) post #6 of 11 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Silver Member

County: -
Faster and easier is whole shaft assembly out. It does away with need to separate shaft by removing Allen bolts. The downside is that damaging the driveshaft oil seal in differential housing is possible though not likely.

If going to all that trouble, 2 driveshaft seals is probably a good idea but they are not leak prone seals (unlike Peugeot/Citroen).
(Post Link) post #7 of 11 Old 1 Week Ago
rxe
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruity View Post

Depends on the strength of the circlip - Ive got one that will come out with a sharp tug, and others that need a pry bar under the drive flange, quick whack with that and out it comes. Yes, drain box oil first!
(Post Link) post #8 of 11 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Depends on the strength of the circlip - I’ve got one that will come out with a sharp tug, and others that need a pry bar under the drive flange, quick whack with that and out it comes. Yes, drain box oil first!
Do you know which allen key do i need to take away the gearbox oil screw?
(Post Link) post #9 of 11 Old 1 Week Ago
rxe
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0ises View Post
Do you know which allen key do i need to take away the gearbox oil screw?
No - I have a set of sump plug tools and simply use the one that fits! 13 mm or so I would guess.
(Post Link) post #10 of 11 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
No - I have a set of sump plug tools and simply use the one that fits! 13 mm or so I would guess.
Thank you!

another question, is it necessary to dismount the sub-frame to take away the gearbox?

And,Is it necessary to unplug the long drive shaft? Or just pulling the gearbox it will stay at its place?

Last edited by M0ises; 1 Week Ago at 13:44.
rxe
AO Silver Member

Some people claim that you can get the box out without removing the subframe - I have never managed this, and I don't see how to do it!

If you pull the gearbox, the long shaft will just slide out - but you need to check that you can move the box sideways enough to release it. i know you can do this in a 166 (loads of space) but I've never tried in a 147.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
disassemble , drive , shafts

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page