2.0 TS CF2 engine rebuild parts - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156, 147

2.0 TS CF2 engine rebuild parts

My Sportpack 2.0 TS CF2 is primarily a track day car and I am trying to source the best suitable parts for the rebuild.

I was unable to source racing bearing shells and will use Glyco.

I need piston rings, engine gasket and seals set and variator. Is there a competition/racing head gasket for the CF2 2.0 TS?

Also, has anyone any knowledge or experience with these conrods:

Ebay: 281945588016

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Connectin...s/281945588016
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 6 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Silver Member

County: -
The rods... I wouldn't bother.
https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/maxpeedingrods.co.uk

CF3 engines use multi layer steel gaskets. I'm not aware of such a variation in quality as per older composite gaskets. I think OE will be fine. Try Alfa Workshop.
Rings? Goetze or OE.

As you have standard internals and no turbo on your engine, the standard parts are good enough. If the engine was seeing over 8000rpm regularly and/or forced induction was used, then that would change things.
Having an engineer dress and balance the rods will be sufficient.

When something goes wrong with an engine, many people can go overboard in trying to avoid a repeat. In your case it was the engine oil which was the weak link. Rectify that and you'll be ok. By all means, have the crank and rods balanced to help minimise stress and vibration. The parts you've used so far are up to the job.

Last edited by Fruity; 1 Week Ago at 10:00.
(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
CF2 and CF3 gaskets may be different thickness so I don't think you can interchange .. I'm sure I read this somewhere many moons ago.

For a track day car, standard HG should be fine. The only problem will be if you cook the engine!
(Post Link) post #4 of 6 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156, 147

Thanks Fruity. I understand that the CF2 cylinder head has been previously rebuilt and that the skimming maximum is quite close. A Spesso racing gasket has been suggested but again, their website shows there are several choices so I didn't even bother to check the standard gasket options!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruity View Post
The rods... I wouldn't bother.
https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/maxpeedingrods.co.uk

CF3 engines use multi layer steel gaskets. I'm not aware of such a variation in quality as per older composite gaskets. I think OE will be fine. Try Alfa Workshop.
Rings? Goetze or OE.

As you have standard internals and no turbo on your engine, the standard parts are good enough. If the engine was seeing over 8000rpm regularly and/or forced induction was used, then that would change things.
Having an engineer dress and balance the rods will be sufficient.

When something goes wrong with an engine, many people can go overboard in trying to avoid a repeat. In your case it was the engine oil which was the weak link. Rectify that and you'll be ok. By all means, have the crank and rods balanced to help minimise stress and vibration. The parts you've used so far are up to the job.
(Post Link) post #5 of 6 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156, 147

Thanks Gazza. The CF2 head is close to the skimming maximum and as the head gasket was not leaking after the bottom end failure I have decided not to skim again but opt for a stronger racing type gasket. There seems to be a wide choice of thicknesses........I am also told that there are two types of variator!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazza82 View Post
CF2 and CF3 gaskets may be different thickness so I don't think you can interchange .. I'm sure I read this somewhere many moons ago.

For a track day car, standard HG should be fine. The only problem will be if you cook the engine!
(Post Link) post #6 of 6 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Silver Member

County: -
I'm not aware of a choice of variator. Over the years, there have been 2 different part numbers; the later one being longer lasting. I think the later type was available from 2002/2003 but that is just vague memory.
I'm sure later part number ends 199. I doubt there is information on or stock of the original part any more. It has largely been forgotten about.

Last edited by Fruity; 1 Week Ago at 07:11.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
cf2 , engine , parts , rebuild

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page