GT electrical issue - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 1 Day Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Devon
GT electrical issue

Evening everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on this.

On starting my GT, when I put the dipped beams on, the instrument cluster illumination sometimes goes out. Or flickers on and off. When this happens, if I switch the main beams on, the dipped headlights and the instrument cluster lights will flicker on and off constantly. It doesn’t seem to have any effect when I only put the side lights on.

Also, when the instrument cluster lights go out, the hazard and fog lights won’t turn on either. Oddly enough, after a few minutes of driving it settles down fine and everything works well.

Any ideas? Crazy Alfa electrics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 5 Old 1 Day Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

And I should add that the lights work ok, even when the instrument illumination is out. I’ve also checked the fuses and relays and everything is fine.
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 9 Hours Ago

County: -
Hi Mossy,

As the stalk switches likely send a CANBUS signal to a body computer of some kind, I'd suspect wiring/connectors to this computer, or a faulty computer.

I'm not sure where this is on our car (have only had mine a week!) but on my old Fiat it was located behind or part of the fuse box under the dash.

Maybe someone else can chime in if there's an engine-bay multi-connector (like Fiats D4) that is often the problem?
(Post Link) post #4 of 5 Old 4 Hours Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Greater London
Garage

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

I'd first check the simple and obvious, since the symptoms suggest a bad connection that is going high-resistance when loaded. So: are battery terminals clean and tight? After that, the positive connector has distribution links that can corrode and crack. If in doubt, dismantle, clean and check.
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 2 Minutes Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks. I’ll check all of that out at the weekend. Stuck in the welsh mountains for work right now! Haha the GT is down I’m devon.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
electrical , issue

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page