Squadra Sportiva shocks - are they any good? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 13 Old 2 Days Ago Thread Starter
Status: Just got a license
AO Member
 
tishobg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
County: Bulgaria
Posts: 324

Member car:

147 1.9 JTDM

Squadra Sportiva shocks - are they any good?

Hello,

Going through a famous site for Alfa Romeo parts (I don't know if links are allowed), I noticed they offer a Squadra Sportiva Gas Pressure Shock Absorber - Rear Axle at a very affordable price (~50EUR) for the 147/156/GT.

Is there someone here with personal experience with the aforementioned shocks and if so, how are they? The price is appealing, but how's the performance and longevity? I'm debating between them and Bilstein B4s, as B6s are above budget. To be paired with lowering springs (Eibach ProKit). Currently running B4s on the front.

Thanks!
tishobg is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
(Post Link) post #2 of 13 Old 2 Days Ago
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
County: -
Posts: 2,216
I think I know someone who fitted these rear struts to his 156 JTS recently. I've sent him a PM to answer this.
Unfortunately it won't answer reliability concerns but I doubt Squadra Sportiva sell rubbish.
Fruity is offline  
(Post Link) post #3 of 13 Old 2 Days Ago
Status: -
AO Member
 
brinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Denmark
Posts: 249
Garage
B4s will be too soft for Eibach Pro kit.
brinker is online now  
(Post Link) post #4 of 13 Old 2 Days Ago Thread Starter
Status: Just got a license
AO Member
 
tishobg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
County: Bulgaria
Posts: 324

Member car:

147 1.9 JTDM

Thanks for the answers. I’ll be looking forward to the input of the JTS owner.

As per reliability, realistically I need 2-3 years out of the shocks.

I know B4s are a bit too soft for Eibachs, but I find them compliant enough on the front with my current set of lowering springs. I’m an ideal world, I’ll buy a B8/B6 or FSD, but I have a rather strict ceiling on what I want to spend on my 2003 production car.
tishobg is online now  
(Post Link) post #5 of 13 Old 2 Days Ago
Status: -
AO Member
 
Psircos@gmail's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
County: -
Posts: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruity View Post
I think I know someone who fitted these rear struts to his 156 JTS recently. I've sent him a PM to answer this.
Unfortunately it won't answer reliability concerns but I doubt Squadra Sportiva sell rubbish.

That would be me!
They seem to be fine and are working well enough. I had the same concerns as you and asked squadra who the manufacturer was. They couldn't tell me but assured me the parts were tested stringently and were more than fit for purpose.
They appear to be right so far! As fruit states, only time will tell re reliability

I've used squadra several times when I owned the Gulietta. They've never been anything other than professional and have always supplied me with quality parts this far
Regards
Fruity likes this.
[email protected] is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Psircos@gmail's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
County: -
Posts: 478
I should have mentioned I only fitted the rears as autodoc didn't have them in stock. They were a little bit more expensive from squadra but not hugely so
[email protected] is offline  
(Post Link) post #7 of 13 Old 1 Day Ago Thread Starter
Status: Just got a license
AO Member
 
tishobg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
County: Bulgaria
Posts: 324

Member car:

147 1.9 JTDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I should have mentioned I only fitted the rears as autodoc didn't have them in stock. They were a little bit more expensive from squadra but not hugely so
I'm looking at the rears as well. How long have you had them equipped and how would you describe the ride? Do they feel firmer than your OEM shocks, similar or softer?

Quote:
these shock will offer the same setup like the original shocks.
Means not stiffer, not softer.

Just liek the Bilstein B4, they are also seen as a simple replacement against original ones.
This just came straight from Squadra Sportiva support. Given their price, I might as well go for them. My other option was 65EUR for 2xBilstein B4 second hand, but for 90EUR the new Squadra Sportiva must be better, what do you think?

Last edited by tishobg; 1 Day Ago at 15:01.
tishobg is online now  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Psircos@gmail's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
County: -
Posts: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by tishobg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I should have mentioned I only fitted the rears as autodoc didn't have them in stock. They were a little bit more expensive from squadra but not hugely so
I'm looking at the rears as well. How long have you had them equipped and how would you describe the ride? Do they feel firmer than your OEM shocks, similar or softer?

Quote:
these shock will offer the same setup like the original shocks.
Means not stiffer, not softer.

Just liek the Bilstein B4, they are also seen as a simple replacement against original ones.
This just came straight from Squadra Sportiva support. Given their price, I might as well go for them. My other option was 65EUR for 2xBilstein B4 second hand, but for 90EUR the new Squadra Sportiva must be better, what do you think?
They've been on for about 4weeks now. The ride is good. It's not soft but I would not call it harsh! It's the way I like it. My G had eibach and b4s and it's nowhere near as stiff as that was!

If I'm being very honest, the near side rear was pretty busted so the improvement I got is most likely inflated. My front upper wishbones and struts also got changed (the offside front was also pretty bad) at the same time so this probably made a huge improvement for me personally.

I think the car handles very well now. Its sharp and does not wallow in the corners or rattle over bumps. It's difficult to say much more than this and in an ideal world you could transport over and have a shot.
All I can say with certainty is that I'm happy at the moment
Regards
[email protected] is offline  
(Post Link) post #9 of 13 Old 1 Day Ago Thread Starter
Status: Just got a license
AO Member
 
tishobg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
County: Bulgaria
Posts: 324

Member car:

147 1.9 JTDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tishobg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I should have mentioned I only fitted the rears as autodoc didn't have them in stock. They were a little bit more expensive from squadra but not hugely so
I'm looking at the rears as well. How long have you had them equipped and how would you describe the ride? Do they feel firmer than your OEM shocks, similar or softer?

Quote:
these shock will offer the same setup like the original shocks.
Means not stiffer, not softer.

Just liek the Bilstein B4, they are also seen as a simple replacement against original ones.
This just came straight from Squadra Sportiva support. Given their price, I might as well go for them. My other option was 65EUR for 2xBilstein B4 second hand, but for 90EUR the new Squadra Sportiva must be better, what do you think?
They've been on for about 4weeks now. The ride is good. It's not soft but I would not call it harsh! It's the way I like it. My G had eibach and b4s and it's nowhere near as stiff as that was!

If I'm being very honest, the near side rear was pretty busted so the improvement I got is most likely inflated. My front upper wishbones and struts also got changed (the offside front was also pretty bad) at the same time so this probably made a huge improvement for me personally.

I think the car handles very well now. Its sharp and does not wallow in the corners or rattle over bumps. It's difficult to say much more than this and in an ideal world you could transport over and have a shot.
All I can say with certainty is that I'm happy at the moment
Regards
Thanks you for the feedback. According to Squadra themselves, it’s identical in terms of stiffness to the B4s and most likely I’ll be sticking Eibach Kit on them. Based on your feedback, I think I might just make the order!

Was going to buy a Civic... Alfa 147 1.9JTD 16V/Azzurro Gabbiano/Bi-Xenon HID retrofit/Straight Pipe/Decat/Remap
tishobg is online now  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
County: -
Posts: 2,216
I don't think there is likely much to be gained from firmer rear struts. I have Eibach Pro Kit springs on the JTS and Boge rear struts (specifically for factory sports suspension) and frankly they are fine. I didn't notice any increase in harshness over the factory springs. The front however needs firmer dampers which is why I fitted Koni Str.T struts. I fitted these before I fitted the Eibach springs and they work well for factory and Eibach springs. They ride smoother and reduce body roll in all but very long corners which is not bad for the £116 including delivery which I paid.
Fruity is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Psircos@gmail's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
County: -
Posts: 478
Yeah...I remember now that the struts (autodoc) were advertised as 'for sport' as it's the Veloce and it sits slightly lower as standard.

Hope it all works out and you're as pleased as I am with the result
All the best
[email protected] is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
brinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Denmark
Posts: 249
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruity View Post
I don't think there is likely much to be gained from firmer rear struts. I have Eibach Pro Kit springs on the JTS and Boge rear struts (specifically for factory sports suspension) and frankly they are fine. I didn't notice any increase in harshness over the factory springs. The front however needs firmer dampers which is why I fitted Koni Str.T struts. I fitted these before I fitted the Eibach springs and they work well for factory and Eibach springs. They ride smoother and reduce body roll in all but very long corners which is not bad for the £116 including delivery which I paid.
There's a lot to gain with a firmer rear-end! Steer-in to a corner gets you even more feedback, and is a lot easier to control. On semi-hard driving it's practically smooth sailing and (almost) boring, because it's so easy.
Mind you, this is with Bilstein B14s, so the front is tightened up as well - but the rear is A LOT stiffer than the front.
brinker is online now  
(Post Link) post #13 of 13 Old 8 Hours Ago
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
County: -
Posts: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinker View Post
There's a lot to gain with a firmer rear-end! Steer-in to a corner gets you even more feedback, and is a lot easier to control. On semi-hard driving it's practically smooth sailing and (almost) boring, because it's so easy.
Mind you, this is with Bilstein B14s, so the front is tightened up as well - but the rear is A LOT stiffer than the front.
Agreed. My experience is that stiffer rear dampers also improve turn in response. And also assist in limiting body roll in the early phase of a corner. The chassis will in general be more responsive and nimble with changes of direction. It will be less comfy...

Regards,
John.
brinker likes this.
johnlear is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
good , shocks , sportiva , squadra

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome