EV conversion of Alfa Romeo 147 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 9Likes
  • 3 Post By dgmayhead
  • 1 Post By pastie
  • 2 Post By brinker
  • 1 Post By ViktorT
  • 1 Post By typos1
  • 1 Post By typos1

(Post Link) post #1 of 24 Old 25-06-19 Thread Starter

County: -
EV conversion of Alfa Romeo 147

Hello
I have purchased a 2004 Alfa 147 2.0. Used to own one ten years ago and i still think it is a really beautiful car. Now I want to EV convert it
Now I need to figure out how to demount the engine, should it be lifted up or should the car be lifted up and the engine lowered and dragged out from below?
Does anyone know if there are CAD-drawings on the car? I need to build a construction to fit the new AC motor (tesla) on to the existing engine joints and go directly on to the steering wheel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Greater London
Garage

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
Think engine removal is probably the least challenging aspect of this build. Good luck and keep us posted.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk
yiorgos, proinsias and ViktorT like this.
AO Member

County: Bucks

Member car:

147 sport Q2

I've always toyed with the EV swap idea,what battery pack would you use? i imagine the best place to store the batteries would be where the fuel tank was?
What about drivetrain? can you attach the motor to the gearbox via a clutch?
proinsias likes this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 JTDM 16V

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastie View Post
I've always toyed with the EV swap idea,what battery pack would you use? i imagine the best place to store the batteries would be where the fuel tank was?
What about drivetrain? can you attach the motor to the gearbox via a clutch?
Don't think you need gearboxes and clutches for EV's, just a differential that would set any final gearing required.
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexie View Post
Don't think you need gearboxes and clutches for EV's other than maybe a fixed final output gear ratio box.
Exactly - no need for clutch or gearbox with electric motors.. Although someone did convert a Ferrari 308, keeping the manual box in situ.
proinsias and 1stCar like this.
AO Member

County: Bucks

Member car:

147 sport Q2

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8s...HKV-S_oz3JH3qw
This guy does some interesting stuff with his conversions,well worth a watch if you're planning an EV swap
(Post Link) post #8 of 24 Old 28-06-19 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinker View Post
Exactly - no need for clutch or gearbox with electric motors.. Although someone did convert a Ferrari 308, keeping the manual box in situ.
I follow Damien and I intend to buy a steering card from him to control the tesla drive unit. I will cut the driveshaft from the teslamotor and fix it to the existing ones (precision welding) . Im looking for a batterypack from a Kia. Yes they could hopefully go where the fueltank is
proinsias likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexie View Post
Don't think you need gearboxes and clutches for EV's, just a differential that would set any final gearing required.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinker View Post
You dont need a gearbox for an EV, but most EV conversions keep them and attach the electric motor to the gearbox.
proinsias likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
There was a 'Wheeler Dealers' where they obtained a Maserati Bi Turbo that had a EV conversion twenty years previously. They used updated motors (2), controllers and batteries but retained the gearbox. That enabled it to operate at a particular 'sweet-spot' for the motor. It was interesting.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally Posted by armoore View Post
There was a 'Wheeler Dealers' where they obtained a Maserati Bi Turbo that had a EV conversion twenty years previously. They used updated motors (2), controllers and batteries but retained the gearbox. That enabled it to operate at a particular 'sweet-spot' for the motor. It was interesting.
Yeah, I saw that and many other videos on youtube and Fully Charged, all the ones I ve seen keep the gearbox.

A hybrid would be quite cool too, like the old PSA system that electrifies the rear axle.
AO Member

Watch Richrebuild's video on EV converting modern cars. Basically, it's a nightmare if you want any of the functionality of the original car like ESP, ABS and so on.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomper View Post
Watch Richrebuild's video on EV converting modern cars. Basically, it's a nightmare if you want any of the functionality of the original car like ESP, ABS and so on.
Yeah I can imagine.
proinsias likes this.

I have removed the engine and started scouting for batteries. (Had to get a new login since I forgot my pass on my first and was unable to get a new) now Im making a mockup framework and teslamotor to see how it can fit

Took 2 days and a lot of sweat 🙂
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9F99D875-3177-4069-967B-9CA81931BCBE_1565261794777.jpg (49.8 KB, 20 views)
AO Member

Garage
Will certainly be an interesting, albeit very different project, to follow!
AO Silver Member

Doing an EV conversion for a Euro 3 or 4 car is reasonably advanced and involved stuff. Concerting an older classic 1950s-1980s make far more sense, greater benefits are likely too.

IMO, converting cars into the 2000s will be about the hardest of all car to convert. I'm not saying it's not possible but I'd let similar age VWs do the trailblazing bit and economically solve how to integrate things. I think it will only become possible if replacement ECMs become available which have integrated emulators and that is years off.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

I m not so sure - the electronics used in cars from this era are not particularly complex, nothing compared to smartphones for instance, we just need some smartphone devs to get on it.
AO Silver Member

I guess. It's not impossible for some sort of emulation via an app and possibly a minimum of creative wiring.
I'd still let others take the development pain though.

I need to find out where the speedometer is placed so I know how much I can hamper with the car without losing it. Anyone who knows?
AO Silver Member

Speedometer is driven by the wheel speed sensors which also serve the ABS (on 1.6) or VDC (2.0 & JTD).

Do you have a copy of eLearn as that will contain descriptions and wiring diagrams which I think will be essential for this sort of work.

Thanks for reply. I dont have eLearn. Do you know where to get it?
(Post Link) post #23 of 24 Old 40 Minutes Ago
AO Member

If you want to emulate a speed signal, but can no longer take it from the gearbox Vehicle Speed Sensor, I used a hall effect sensor with a toothed plate bolted between the driveshaft and the differential (not on my Alfa). Then I corrected the RPM which is scaled very easily using a "Speedo Healer". This can at least replace your Vehicle Speed Sensor that should help with your speedo, tacho, odo, trip computer, ABS, VDC, etc.

You can buy the speedo healer here: https://www.arracing.co.uk/product-c...peedo-healers/
and the toothed plate and sensor here: https://www.pilgrim-motorsports.co.u...speedo-sensor/ I'd call and ask about the toothed plate.

Since you're going to do a lot of work, maybe you can use the same sensor after retrieving it from the gearbox and have a toothed plate made up with the same diameter and number of teeth. Then you wouldn't need the speedo healer and sensor - just a custom plate with bolt holes that match the new differential and a rigid mount to keep the sensor safely positioned at the right distance. It doesn't need to be that thick, but does need to be magnetic. I think mine was about 2-3mm thick and about 4" diameter.
(Post Link) post #24 of 24 Old 36 Minutes Ago
AO Member

On another tack, you could just take any signal from the electric motor that shows rpm and feed it through a speedo healer to calibrate it to give you the signal you need.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
147 , alfa , conversion , romeo

« Balance belt | - »
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page