Any ideas what its worth? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 15Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 30 Old 14-06-19 Thread Starter
chc
AO Member

County: Lancashire
Any ideas what its worth?

I have finally decided to sell my 156 2.4 JTD 20v sportwagon with just under 68000 miles (documented) - but I have no idea how much its worth. The condition is good for its age, but I can't find a single 2.4 JTD for sale anywhere to help me gauge what its worth. Be great if I could have some others' opinions.

I'm not leaving Alfa, I have a Guilia I hardly drive which needs to be used more really ... but I like the economy and engagement of the 156 ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 30 Old 17-06-19 Thread Starter
chc
AO Member

No one any idea either? ANY suggestions or guidance at this point would be useful. Don't be bashfull
AO Silver Member

County: Suffolk
Chilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by chc View Post
No one any idea either? ANY suggestions or guidance at this point would be useful. Don't be bashfull
Whatever some one is willing to pay and on this forum they donít like paying much.

Personally, run the two cars - the 156 for general duties and the Giulia for other occasions.
AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizewell View Post
Whatever some one is willing to pay and on this forum they donít like paying much.

Personally, run the two cars - the 156 for general duties and the Giulia for other occasions.
Sounds a bit like a Reliant forum, except there it's "they're only worth £300 now" to an old guy that's given up driving. Week later it's on ebay in parts with the engine alone up for £500.
sizewell and proinsias like this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
In general folks are picking these up for £200 to £400, there are at least a couple of Sportwagon/dogwagon resto threads on here. They are all the sort of gifted maniacs who can strip and restore any old bit of a car. Planks like me who always forget which way Ďround the nut/bolt went canít afford garage bills to keep 156s going, thatís before you get to the bodywork thing. Thatís why they get more in bits.

You are right that the 2.4 is henís teeth rare and more desirable, but itís still old and diseasel.

Stick an ad on here for free, be prepared to hold out, or, as the best suggestion so far says, keep it and enjoy it.

No 2 on the Git list

Are you folding?

AO Silver Member

Chilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukew View Post
Sounds a bit like a Reliant forum, except there it's "they're only worth £300 now" to an old guy that's given up driving. Week later it's on ebay in parts with the engine alone up for £500.
You got it in one!
(Post Link) post #7 of 30 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

Alfa GT V6

what's the colour, spec and location.
I could be interested if its not too far away...
(Post Link) post #8 of 30 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
chc
AO Member

Quote:

That was my original plan, keep it as a 'spare' car and it would pay for itself in saved fuel - I have worked out the fuel savings over the Guilia are enough to pay for the insurance and tax - but its more a question of space and ongoing maintenance costs. I just don't really have the space to keep it which is partly why I loaned it to my mother-in-law.

The car is very sound. There is no visible rust, I have checked the underside last Nov carefully before having it waxoiled to protect it longer. Interior is very clean (if a bit dirty right now). I'll post some pics soon for interest, but I guess we will see what actually ends up happening.

Thanks for the feedback.
mjaz101 likes this.
(Post Link) post #9 of 30 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
chc
AO Member

Some pictures as promised. I also have with the car a NOS pair of side skirts (been stored in my garage in bubble wrap the last four or five years), a set of old OEM wheels (which I used for winter tyres) and (for the right price) a Balckvue DRS650 2ch dashcam professionally fitted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190618_103643.jpg (147.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 20190618_103917.jpg (111.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 20190618_094251.jpg (133.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 20190618_103910.jpg (141.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 20190618_103948.jpg (100.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 20190618_103718.jpg (136.8 KB, 22 views)
(Post Link) post #10 of 30 Old 4 Weeks Ago
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
They're great cars - I'm dailying the one that I got for £370 a few years ago, doing 25,000 miles year. OK, I spent a tonne of cash making it perfect again, and therein lies the problem.

It would be a perfect proposition for a bottom feeder like me, who's not afraid of mechanical fun in the slightest. But I'd be paying bottom feeder money.

Your average punter would look at this and think 1) Diesel 2) 15 years old 3) Alfa-Romeo. You're not looking for the average punter...

My advice would be to watch a few on eBay and see what they go for. With a year's ticket I would say £2500 to the right person. More likely to be sub £2000 if you want to get rid reasonably quickly. The problem is that most people buying a car like this (cheap and suitable for big miles) would probably be looking at Fords in the first instance - less scary.
(Post Link) post #11 of 30 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
chc
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxe View Post
They're great cars - I'm dailying the one that I got for £370 a few years ago, doing 25,000 miles year. OK, I spent a tonne of cash making it perfect again, and therein lies the problem.

Your average punter would look at this and think 1) Diesel 2) 15 years old 3) Alfa-Romeo. You're not looking for the average punter...

My advice would be to watch a few on eBay and see what they go for. With a year's ticket I would say £2500 to the right person. More likely to be sub £2000 if you want to get rid reasonably quickly. The problem is that most people buying a car like this (cheap and suitable for big miles) would probably be looking at Fords in the first instance - less scary.
I know on all counts, but part of what prompted me to ask here was there were no comparable cars on ebay ... or autotrader. This is my second 156, and I got this after I missed the first one too much after I swaped it for a BMW ... so I had to get another 156. That is the one thing that scares me about selling it ... will I miss it too much?

I'm not in a rush ... it costs me nothing but space really (and tax and MOT) but I'd really like it to be used. Cars should be used and I can't really justify two on the go ... especially with one being a Guilia ... but to be honest I like driving the 156 in some ways more than the Guilia - which is very nice in a different way, so I want to take that when I go out too ...

I've never scrimpted on maintenance so the car is way too nice to just abandon.
(Post Link) post #12 of 30 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithy View Post
In general folks are picking these up for £200 to £400, there are at least a couple of Sportwagon/dogwagon resto threads on here. .
err Laurence has named it the poowagan thank you Keithy. Well actually the poowagon plus now I've bought bits for it
(Post Link) post #13 of 30 Old 4 Weeks Ago
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
(Post Link) post #14 of 30 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
Your Guilia will lose twice the value of your 156 in depreciation in the next 6 months! I know which car I'd be keeping.

If there's no rust on your 156 it's good for another 80000miles at least with only routine maintenance. I'd budget for a clutch and numerous suspension parts but all of this won't be the be a surprise for you as an alfisti. I got 160000miles out of mine before moving on and it was a great place to sit and very reliable.

As they become scarcer on the road they just look better and better.

Put a new radio in and it's difficult to find a superior motor.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk
(Post Link) post #15 of 30 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
chc
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmayhead View Post
Your Guilia will lose twice the value of your 156 in depreciation in the next 6 months! I know which car I'd be keeping.
The depreciation doesn't bother me - its paid for in full, I like its modern functionality, I've been waiting for years for a a true 156 replacement that was RWD and I plan to keep it until what will probably be my final car ... something elecrtic and fully autonomous so when I can't drive any more I can still 'get around'. See also below ...

Quote:
If there's no rust on your 156 it's good for another 80000miles at least with only routine maintenance. I'd budget for a clutch and numerous suspension parts but all of this won't be the be a surprise for you as an alfisti.
This is my second 156 ... so Ive done the suspension stuff a few times now in the ~160,000 combined I've done in them ... gosh that is shocking ... never added it up before ... (and the Guilia is my 7th Alfa, so I can claim to be a true Alfisti, my first (and first car) being a 105 series GTV2000 in 1977, oh happy days. I spent years saving as a child for one after seeing a GTV1750 once and was determined to get one. Then my dad helped me by paying half the cost so I could get a good one ... so I've loved Alfas since before I could drive. For me, the Guilia is the return of a proper Alfa, being RWD. I so wanted a Q, but the running costs and extra 20,000 was too much and the Veloce seemed a great compromise ... and I got it at a very good price.

Quote:
As they become scarcer on the road they just look better and better.
Now ain't that the truth ...

Quote:
Put a new radio in and it's difficult to find a superior motor.
Don't think I haven't thought about it ...

Damn, you are making me have second thoughts now ... but there is still the space issue to consider ...
dgmayhead likes this.
(Post Link) post #16 of 30 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
chc
AO Member

This link shows there are 24 20v Ti's left in the UK. I doubt I'd ever be able to get another ... damn, another reason to keep it ...
(Post Link) post #17 of 30 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

M’wah ha ha!

Gotcha!
(Post Link) post #18 of 30 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
So jealous of that 105GTV ownership. Crazy money now for even ropey examples. Maybe the 156 will be there someday?!

(Post Link) post #19 of 30 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
chc
AO Member

I have some great memories from that time (I grew up in Australia) my 105 GTV and me ...

Camping in the snowy mountains in winter with a mate, having to start the car in the am to unfreeze the primus stove from the boot liner so we could have breakfast, hitting a large rock that wrapped the LH rear wheel around the rear caliper and took it clean off the mounting lugs, followed by about 6 hours with a small hacksaw cutting the wheel away to get the wheel off, crimping the brake line and returning home (150 miles away) on three brakes, trips to the Bathurst 500, my first speed event (a lap dash for which I forged my father's signature as I was too young to do it without parental consent ... so many memories ... including finding that on a particular (grassy) hill, if I attacked it just right when it was wet and pulled the right amount of lock and timed the handbrake just right and then jump hard on the brakes just right I could get the car to pirouette about the centre with all 4 wheels sliding in unison while I slid all the way back down (about 100 yds) to name just a few of many, many more.

Then there was the fitting of a really ott for the time stereo. My mum still talks about the times she would come home and half the interior was strewn across the drive and front yard.

It was a lovely metallic olive green with a (faux) pigskin interior. sigh ....

Cars are meant to be used. These days I still enjoy driving but its not like it used to be with speed cameras and heavy traffic - so now I stick rigidly to posted limits and I get my fun in less direct ways ... like the beauty of the 156 and Giulia, playing with the tech etc.

I have a picture somewhere of the car in full flight sideways on a dirt road. I'll dig it out, scan it and post it here if anyone is interested (but please no laughing at the late 1970s clothing ... it was 77 OK? ... or I won't post it! (-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmayhead View Post
So jealous of that 105GTV ownership. Crazy money now for even ropey examples. Maybe the 156 will be there someday?!

alfabeat and sizewell like this.
(Post Link) post #20 of 30 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

Quote:
I have some great memories from that time (I grew up in Australia) my 105 GTV and me ...

Camping in the snowy mountains in winter with a mate, having to start the car in the am to unfreeze the primus stove from the boot liner so we could have breakfast, hitting a large rock that wrapped the LH rear wheel around the rear caliper and took it clean off the mounting lugs, followed by about 6 hours with a small hacksaw cutting the wheel away to get the wheel off, crimping the brake line and returning home (150 miles away) on three brakes, trips to the Bathurst 500, my first speed event (a lap dash for which I forged my father's signature as I was too young to do it without parental consent ... so many memories ... including finding that on a particular (grassy) hill, if I attacked it just right when it was wet and pulled the right amount of lock and timed the handbrake just right and then jump hard on the brakes just right I could get the car to pirouette about the centre with all 4 wheels sliding in unison while I slid all the way back down (about 100 yds) to name just a few of many, many more.

Then there was the fitting of a really ott for the time stereo. My mum still talks about the times she would come home and half the interior was strewn across the drive and front yard.

It was a lovely metallic olive green with a (faux) pigskin interior. sigh ....

Cars are meant to be used. These days I still enjoy driving but its not like it used to be with speed cameras and heavy traffic - so now I stick rigidly to posted limits and I get my fun in less direct ways ... like the beauty of the 156 and Giulia, playing with the tech etc.

I have a picture somewhere of the car in full flight sideways on a dirt road. I'll dig it out, scan it and post it here if anyone is interested (but please no laughing at the late 1970s clothing ... it was 77 OK? ... or I won't post it! (-
Happy days!
(Post Link) post #21 of 30 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

Let’s see that picture!
(Post Link) post #22 of 30 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
chc
AO Member

Quote:
Happy days!
I was thinking about them this am ... as you do when something triggers stuff, and I completely forgot about the time 7 of us squeezed into the 105 GTV for a 90 minute drive right across Sydney ... through the CBD from one side to the other ... after half our team missed the bus back to school (yes, I had the 105 when I was at school, sorry) ...

I'll go dig out the photo and scan it for uploading ...

Last edited by chc; 4 Weeks Ago at 14:17.
(Post Link) post #23 of 30 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
chc
AO Member

I can't find the 'all crossed up' pic ... I saw it about two years ago but it might have gotten 'cleared out'. Anyway, here are three that I did find. Not nearly as good as the other one sadly, but I'll keep looking ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic3-Interior.jpg (60.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Pic2-front.jpg (126.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Pic1-camping.jpg (109.2 KB, 6 views)
alfabeat and efcbluepete like this.
(Post Link) post #24 of 30 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

Chilling

Quote:
I was thinking about them this am ... as you do when something triggers stuff, and I completely rogot about the time 7 of us squeezed into the 105 GTV for a 90 minute drive right across Sydney ... through the CBD from one side to the other ... after half our team missed the bus back to school (yes, I had the 105 when I was at school, sorry) ...

I'll go dig out the photo and scan it for uploading ...
Go on, rub it in!
(Post Link) post #25 of 30 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
chc
AO Member

Quote:
I can't find the 'all crossed up' pic ... I saw it about two years ago but it might have gotten 'cleared out'. Anyway, here are three that I did find. Not nearly as good as the other one sadly, but I'll keep looking ...
I found three more pics, but one didn't scan very well ... so here are the other two ... incl 'all crossed up' .... :-)

Oh, if anyone is interested, the white car in the background is my mum's Rover P6 V8 ... had really horrible roll oversteer, was as heavy as a tank but fun none-the-less. I taught myself to do J-turns in that ... when my mum wasn't looking ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic5-sideways.jpg (78.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Pic6-F3-4.jpg (141.0 KB, 8 views)
alfabeat likes this.

Last edited by chc; 4 Weeks Ago at 14:13.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
ideas , worth

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page