156 airbag controller - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By lukew
  • 1 Post By R.T.

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

County: Vestfold
156 airbag controller

Hi,

A few months ago the airbag light on my 1999 156 selespeed came on. Took it to the garage and they could not clear the error. They said most likely the airbag controller was dead.

Now, i wasn't planning on crashing anytime soon and the car probably has one of those faulty face removing japanese claymore mine airbags anyways so i haven't gotten around to doing anything about it. That is until i realized the car has to pass one of those MOT car inspection thingies in August and the light has to be off for that. (remove bulbs?)

I have a 2001 sportwagon that i can pick parts from. Does anybody know if the airbag controller from a 2001 sportwagon would work in a 1999 sedan?

And also where is the controller located?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnious View Post
Hi,

A few months ago the airbag light on my 1999 156 selespeed came on. Took it to the garage and they could not clear the error. They said most likely the airbag controller was dead.

Now, i wasn't planning on crashing anytime soon and the car probably has one of those faulty face removing japanese claymore mine airbags anyways so i haven't gotten around to doing anything about it. That is until i realized the car has to pass one of those MOT car inspection thingies in August and the light has to be off for that. (remove bulbs?)

I have a 2001 sportwagon that i can pick parts from. Does anybody know if the airbag controller from a 2001 sportwagon would work in a 1999 sedan?

And also where is the controller located?

Thanks
It's located under the dash in the middle of the car, by the climate control unit. You'll have to remove both units and check the part numbers, but there are interchangable ones. There was a list of this forum somewhere. I recently swapped over the control unit and part of the wiring from a later model to avoid the headaches of finding a good used unit for my 2001.
Omnious likes this.
(Post Link) post #3 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

County: Essex
I think it would be worth disconnecting the battery for a few minutes before assuming that it’s dead. I’m not sure but I think they sometimes ‘crash’ or ‘lock-up’, possibly due to low supply voltage when starting with a failing battery. If not then cleaning the control unit’s connector worked for me, but I’m not sure now if it was that or just that I disconnected the battery which did it.

If you get MultiEcuScan (free or paid) and the appropriate leads you can reset the light yourself.
Omnious likes this.
(Post Link) post #4 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

County: Vestfold
Thanks guys. I have MES on an old laptop somewhere i will try to charge the battery to 100% while its disconnected. (I know the shop also disconnected the battery, but for a short period) and try to clear code after it is reconnected. The error happened after a cold start when the car had been sitting a week or so if i remember right.. the car did chug, but it turned over and started ok. The battery voltage might have messed up.

If that does not work: do i have to remove the front of the instrument panel or go through the side to get to the controller? Anybody know of some pictures of the disassembly process? I have only ever changed the front instrument panel and the car radio and i cant remember what was behind it..

Thanks again,

EDIT: found a good picture of where its at in this thread https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...p-part-no.html (Airbag ECU location & part no)
seems like its easier to go in through the passenger side on LHD cars as there is heater tubing on the left side..

Last edited by Omnious; 1 Week Ago at 20:46. Reason: Info
(Post Link) post #5 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

Quote:
Thanks guys. I have MES on an old laptop somewhere i will try to charge the battery to 100% while its disconnected. (I know the shop also disconnected the battery, but for a short period) and try to clear code after it is reconnected. The error happened after a cold start when the car had been sitting a week or so if i remember right.. the car did chug, but it turned over and started ok. The battery voltage might have messed up.

If that does not work: do i have to remove the front of the instrument panel or go through the side to get to the controller? Anybody know of some pictures of the disassembly process? I have only ever changed the front instrument panel and the car radio and i cant remember what was behind it..

Thanks again,
It's likely error 0001: internal fault. All the older units seem to suffer with this after repeated low battery conditions. I've had AlfaOBD, MES, FES and a Snap-on Ethos unit on mine and the same result with all of them, unit needed replacing.

The unit is behind the 2 covers on the floor behind the dash, i'll see if there's any photos about.
(Post Link) post #6 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

County: Oost-Vlaanderen

Member car:

Spider 2005 jts

Quote:

Thanks again,

EDIT: found a good picture of where its at in this thread https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...p-part-no.html (Airbag ECU location & part no)
seems like its easier to go in through the passenger side on LHD cars as there is heater tubing on the left side..
I had about the same problem on the spider, also a fault that MES was not able to fix. I changed de control unit...............still the same . Finaly it was the contact case ( do not know the right name) behind the steering wheel that was faulty
(Post Link) post #7 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

Member car:

Spider 2005 jts

I had about the same fault on the spider. It was a fault that MES was not able to clear I changed the control unit.............still the same. Finaly it was the unit behind the steering wheel I dont know how they called it
(Post Link) post #8 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afco View Post
I had about the same fault on the spider. It was a fault that MES was not able to clear I changed the control unit.............still the same. Finaly it was the unit behind the steering wheel I dont know how they called it
Clockspring
(Post Link) post #9 of 9 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

Member car:

Spider 2005 jts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukew View Post
Clockspring
Yes that was it

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
airbag , airbaghelp , airbaglight

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page