156 v6 suspension advice - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By johnlear
  • 1 Post By wordup100

(Post Link) post #1 of 17 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

County: Greater London

Member car:

VW Golf

156 v6 suspension advice

I have recently bought a 156 v6 which has been fitted with what seems to be the holy trinity of suspension mods - blistein b6 / eibach springs / powerflexed upper wishbones.

The turn in and handling are great but the car is just a tad too firm on ride. Itís very hard at low speed over speed bumps etc but is also pretty fidgety over motorway expansion joints and on really bumpy roads i think it actually hinders the handling. With the hardness dialled down a notch I think the car will be much more useable but the question is what do I tweak?

Iíve ruled out the bilsteins as the damping is excellent. So my guess is fitting standard springs rather than the eibachs is probably my best bet. But Iíd be keen to know how much difference anyone thinks putting standard (ie non power flex) wishbones back on will make. The poly bushes are squeaking anyway so need attention.

Do powerflexes make that much differnce to the ride quality or are springs more likely to be the culprit?

Any thoughts appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 17 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

County: -
Maybe lower the tyre pressures?

Regards,
John.
Fruity likes this.
(Post Link) post #3 of 17 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Silver Member

JTS runs Pro Kit springs, Koni Str.T with 32psi on Pirelli Cinturato P7 205/55R16.

TS has Pro Kit, upper wishbones polybushed, standard dampers & the same Pirelli tyres and pressures.

JTS stays much flatter and less front suspension movement. It is in all respects better than TS.

TS transmits ever so slightly more NHV but frankly it is way less than inferior tyres, 35psi or 17" wheels. All 3 of these would probably = catastrophic ride quality.

TS & V6 Pro Kit front springs differ only in the free length they are coiled to (identical spring rate).

I'm surprised you find them too firm. I don't find these springs too firm for a 4 pot application. Yes they are firmer and make bump shocks sharper but at least it stops the front end pitching excessively whilst simultaneously having the heavy front suspension lolloping around and transferring irritating tremors into the cabin. My JTS at least now has the merit of having a better ride than a boggo Honda Jazz. Frankly, the V6 should be better as it has a more favourable sprung to unsprung weight ratio.

What size wheels & tyres and what pressure? Also are they some El Cheapo, BCT, Jinyu type brand?

Everyone's perception is unique but I'm having difficulty in agreeing with Pro Kit and B6s being too taut.

Last edited by Fruity; 1 Week Ago at 21:20.
(Post Link) post #4 of 17 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Garage
For the sake of a comparison, my 156 V6 has Koni Yellow adjustables, with blue springs (kit bundle) and poly bushes and is about 20mm lower than standard. The handling is great, ride is pretty firm but not as bad as you describe yours, even with the Koni's dialled back as far as they will go towards comfort it's still firm however. I have 225 45 17 F1 Eagles.
Poly bushes firm up the ride a little but I doubt they are the culprits. If they need changing, maybe go back to good quality standard bushes and see if that helps?

2002 Spider V6 - 1998 156 2.5 V6 - 2007 GT 1.9jtdm - 1998 GTV V6 phase 1 - being brought back from the dead!
Check out my Youtube Alfa channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFe...Vvo4wMNfCafNmA
(Post Link) post #5 of 17 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter

Member car:

VW Golf

The car is on 16 inch teledials with good pirelli tyres on but I haven’t checked to see if the tyre pressures are too high so will give that a go.

I think as the wishbones are squeaky anyway i’ll probably also try some standard ones as a first step and see how that is.

I certainly don’t want to make the car too comfort orientated - I just feel the ride needs the harsher edges smoothing off a little - especially as i’m frequently driving on truly awful London roads.

Thanks for your thoughts - will report back.
Unclejam likes this.
(Post Link) post #6 of 17 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Garage
well, 16 inch wheels will be better for comfort than my 17's too. Hmm, I would have thought the next thing to try would be some softer springs but Eibachs are usually considered pretty comfortable?
Good luck sorting it.
(Post Link) post #7 of 17 Old 1 Week Ago
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
Sounds like mine - B6s, Eibach -30s, polyd upper arms. I've also got the Eibach ARB and an LSD. The ride is certainly "firm", but I would second the question on tyre pressures. On 16s, the original pressures were something like 32 psi, but the later recommendation was something like 42 - can't remember the exact figures. Have a play with the pressures - if I drive bad roads at 42 psi, it does get a bit skittish as you describe.

The B6s are bloody hard though - running the same springs on Koni FSDs (per my GTA) is a very different experience.

Get a strut brace - won't make a difference to the ride, but it will close down some of the dashboard squeaks.

I really like the poly upper arms, they sharpen it up just a bit.
(Post Link) post #8 of 17 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

County: Australia
Iíve got upper wishbones with power flex bushes fitted to my 147 TS. Yes, the ride has become more fidgety as you described. I think going back to rubber bushes would solve your issue. I actually appreciate the firmness as the roads I frequent arenít uneven and the only speed bumps occur on the driveway to my local pool. I can avoid other speed humps on my local roads.
(Post Link) post #9 of 17 Old 5 Days Ago
AO Member

County: Normandy

Member car:

156 2.5 V6 SW

For what it's worth, I tested different setups on my V6 :
1) Eibach Pro-kit springs and B6 dampers, all rubber bushes : very firm, even on 16".
2) Eibach Pro-kit springs and Koni FSDs, all rubber bushes : slightly more comfortable, but still firm and no enjoyable as a daily drive.
3) New standard springs and Koni FSDs, GTA rear ARB, poly bushes on anti-roll bars : good comfort, FSDs work wonderfully, even on 17", and even better handling (thanks to the GTA rear ARB).

From my experience, I'd bet on the springs.
AO Silver Member

It's no doubt a bit of a combination of things. Aftermarket sport springs are always firmer. I went the Eibach route because, AFAIK, they are the most subtle of all aftermarket options. @Unclejam , the older Koni kits came with springs of unknown (by me) origin. They are very firm. More recent kits use H&R springs which probably similar to Eibach Pro Kit.

Maybe I underestimate the effect of the B6 dampers which are a big piston monotube but I never noticed a reduction in ride on previous cars.

If anyone is interested, Koni have released Special Active dampers which are an improved FSD.
AO Member

County: Northumberland

Member car:

156 V6 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruity View Post
If anyone is interested, Koni have released Special Active dampers which are an improved FSD.
Tempting. I have FSDs already, but they are over 10 years old... They're not silly money either...

https://www.europerformance.co.uk/pa...shockabsorbers
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by valinco View Post
Tempting. I have FSDs already, but they are over 10 years old... They're not silly money either...

https://www.europerformance.co.uk/pa...shockabsorbers
You might wish to avoid that company.......
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...o-uk-scam.html (Europerformance.co.uk = SCAM?)

Also, the Koni site only lists the special active dampers for the 4 cylinder petrols, not the diesels and V6's.
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.5 V6 SW

Well, not exactly.
FSD dampers are in end of production and Special Active dampers are aimed to replace FSD.
One Special Active reference is already available for the rear dampers : 8745-1020. I hope the front ones would come soon.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neocray View Post
Well, not exactly.
FSD dampers are in end of production and Special Active dampers are aimed to replace FSD.
One Special Active reference is already available for the rear dampers : 8745-1020. I hope the front ones would come soon.
Not for V6 models.
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.5 V6 SW

Has it been announced by Koni?
(Post Link) post #16 of 17 Old 4 Days Ago Thread Starter

Member car:

VW Golf

Small update on my car - as suggested I checked the tyre pressures and they were indeed at 40psi. I reduced this to 32 and while there was a definite improvement comfort, there was also a sudden and slightly unnerving vagueness to the steering. So i’ve gone back up to 36 psi which has made it feel much more planted again but still takes the edge off sharper bumps like expansion joints and speed humps. The wishbones need doing and I may yet experiment with springs & dampers (those Konis sound good) but for now this has definitely helped. Cheers
AO Member

County: Northumberland

Member car:

156 V6 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Myles View Post
You might wish to avoid that company.......
https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...o-uk-scam.html (Europerformance.co.uk = SCAM?)

Also, the Koni site only lists the special active dampers for the 4 cylinder petrols, not the diesels and V6's.

Thank you for that. If it looks too good to be true, it probably is. Maybe they'll come to the V6/GTA soon...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , eibach , poweflex

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page