What have people done to improve alfa switch panels interior handles - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 20Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 27 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Carmarthenshire

Member car:

Alfa 156 Gta

What have people done to improve alfa switch panels interior handles

I saw some people removing the soft coating and maybe painiting on cleaning

or hydrographics

please.. show us yours..

tips and advice greatfully received
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 27 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Club Member
Membro Medio

Garage
2 hours ago I demolished my drivers door switch, forgot there is a retaining screw through the door card so be careful if you remove it. New one needed.
(Post Link) post #3 of 27 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Global Mod Team

County: Lancashire

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0JTS

Door panel or switch?
(Post Link) post #4 of 27 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Central Greece

Member car:

alfa 147-156

Strip down your switch, and buy an oven cleaner (like ''fornet'' which I use). It is a foam in a spray can. Apply some on the ''greasy'' surface, wait for 5 minutes and wipe it. I use pieces of foam to do it,from a sheet 1mx1m which I buy for that reason. Apply another coat and do the same again. After 4-5 times the part will be completely ''grease'' free. Since it is a small part normally it doesn't need to be repainted unless you have scratched it. If we were talking about the centre console things would be different. Bear in mind that the ''greasier'' the part is the easier you will clean it. So it is a good idea to heat it before you put the spray on it. Another alternative of painting is ''wrapping''. I suppose you have seen cars with 3M wrapping. 3M also has products for applications on smaller items. They come in every colour and texture. They even have some with metallic not only looks but ''feel'' as well. You can see many videos in youtube. If you see the result it is truly unbelievable.
maxiboy wales likes this.
(Post Link) post #5 of 27 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: -
I recently tried wrapping a small piece of trim in my e61 that suffered the same fate with the coating. Have it a good clean and degrease first wrap went on fine but after a few days with heat from the sun insider the car the wrap started to bubble and lift.

Opted to spray with black plastidip instead,hopefully that lasts better
(Post Link) post #6 of 27 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyroper View Post
I recently tried wrapping a small piece of trim in my e61 that suffered the same fate with the coating. Have it a good clean and degrease first wrap went on fine but after a few days with heat from the sun insider the car the wrap started to bubble and lift.

Opted to spray with black plastidip instead,hopefully that lasts better
I covered my whole car in plastidip, I really regret covering my whole car in plastidip.
maxiboy wales and proinsias like this.
(Post Link) post #7 of 27 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Carmarthenshire

Member car:

Alfa 156 Gta

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul.o View Post
Door panel or switch?
The panels the window switches sit in... soft textered and a horrible messy pain
(Post Link) post #8 of 27 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Member

County: Shropshire
Garage
I'm planning on wrapping the handles in leather amd the switch panels im grey/Titanium coloured carbon 3M...
I did my Giulietta dash panel along with a few other bits 3 years ago and still looks fresh (if you tuck the edges around the back it's less likely to lift after)...
The rubber coating is letting the GT's interior down
(Post Link) post #9 of 27 Old 3 Weeks Ago
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 857
County: Zuid Holland
Garage
you can remove the sticky rubberlike coating cleaning with isopropyl alcohol.....
The resulting plastic can be left as-is ...
(Post Link) post #10 of 27 Old 3 Weeks Ago
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by westonprawn View Post
I'm planning on wrapping the handles in leather ......
Did mine on the 147 GTA .....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deura.JPG (142.4 KB, 49 views)
westonprawn and maxiboy wales like this.
(Post Link) post #11 of 27 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwq View Post
you can remove the sticky rubberlike coating cleaning with isopropyl alcohol.....
The resulting plastic can be left as-is ...
I've tried but the base plastic on mine is white which showed through shortly after rubbing
(Post Link) post #12 of 27 Old 2 Weeks Ago
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage
Quote:
I've tried but the base plastic on mine is white which showed through shortly after rubbing
Strange, was black on mine (and others), just the text in white, as that is illuminated
(Post Link) post #13 of 27 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Strange, was black on mine (and others), just the text in white, as that is illuminated
That's what I thought but when you turn it over its white (could be a cost saving or change of supplier )?
Now I left with an even scruffier one haha
Justin.
(Post Link) post #14 of 27 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.5 V6

I've only had a couple of bad bits so far. A passenger door handle grip was sticky, I just cleaned it and gave it a paint with satin black paint. It was only the inside part so it's hardly noticeable. And the drivers height adjustment lever was sticky. I just cleaned it and left it as is.

I did re-paint my parcel shelf though with fabric paint. Much nicer looking at a black shelf than some strange silver/purple combination.
westonprawn and maxiboy wales like this.
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnik61 View Post
Strip down your switch, and buy an oven cleaner (like ''fornet'' which I use). It is a foam in a spray can. Apply some on the ''greasy'' surface, wait for 5 minutes and wipe it. I use pieces of foam to do it,from a sheet 1mx1m which I buy for that reason. Apply another coat and do the same again. After 4-5 times the part will be completely ''grease'' free. Since it is a small part normally it doesn't need to be repainted unless you have scratched it. If we were talking about the centre console things would be different. Bear in mind that the ''greasier'' the part is the easier you will clean it. So it is a good idea to heat it before you put the spray on it. Another alternative of painting is ''wrapping''. I suppose you have seen cars with 3M wrapping. 3M also has products for applications on smaller items. They come in every colour and texture. They even have some with metallic not only looks but ''feel'' as well. You can see many videos in youtube. If you see the result it is truly unbelievable.
Much easier and quicker to use brake cleaner, plus theres less chance you ll take the black off as well.

Quote:
You used something far to harsh and abrasive and /or scrubbed too hard, brake cleaner is best for this.

Quote:
Yours is white underneath too, theyre all the same - injection moulded white nylon, painted black using a stencil (leaving the white nylon showing through in the shape of the electric window symbol so it lights up), then painted with the "soft feel" coating, which then starts to peel off years later. westonprawn used something far to abrasive and/or scrubbed too hard, taking the black off too.
cue2, maxiboy wales and proinsias like this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Illuminated switches are white plastic painted black and the graphics are generally etched away using a laser.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
Illuminated switches are white plastic painted black and the graphics are generally etched away using a laser.
Its usually nylon rather than plastic, but if its etched rather than stencilled fair enough.

Some are also black abs with nylon inserts (that have a raised graphic) which are added to the mould before the black abs is injected in, leaving the raised nylon graphic flush with the black abs, the nylon is white and the light behind shines through, slightly different method, same result. Well slightly better result in that theres no black to come off.
AO Member

County: Central Greece

Member car:

alfa 147-156

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesalfa View Post
I've only had a couple of bad bits so far. A passenger door handle grip was sticky, I just cleaned it and gave it a paint with satin black paint. It was only the inside part so it's hardly noticeable. And the drivers height adjustment lever was sticky. I just cleaned it and left it as is.

I did re-paint my parcel shelf though with fabric paint. Much nicer looking at a black shelf than some strange silver/purple combination.
No there's no chance to take the black off (I've done it many times), but I agree that it isn't quick. The worst part to become sticky is the centre console. I have changed mine once because I didn't want to clean it as it would lose that very nice mat finish. Generally this coating doesn't last more than 10 years. I hope AR will find other coating materials.
AO Platinum Member

They donít use soft-feel paint any more, judging from the Stelvio.
It was a fashion made popular by VW on the 5th Golf.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
They don’t use soft-feel paint any more, judging from the Stelvio.
It was a fashion made popular by VW on the 5th Golf.
I ve had the dubious pleasure of working on the interior of a fair number of Golf 5s, it never ceases to amaze me how poor quality the plastics are and how badly put together it is compared to the 147, despite the supposedly excellent VW build quality and supposedly poor Alfa build quality.

Last edited by typos1; 1 Week Ago at 10:31.
AO Platinum Member

Thereís a frustrating prejudice for the VW stuff, subsidised as it is by the local area as a job creation project, when other companies are actual businesses. I worked for Ford until recently and the company had a deal with a cab company to use Focusís and competitor cars in the accelerated wear testing that is the life of a cab. The parts on the VWs soft feel painted parts etc wore away so quickly to the base plastic but people still perceive them as quality products, often where they looked very precise but didnít have sufficient gaps etc.
AO Silver Member

County: Greater London
Garage

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

I've tried rubberised coating paints (on motorbike parts) and they've been uselessly soft and easily damaged.

I since found these 2K 'soft touch' clearcoats, but I've not tried either. Both are clear, to retain the legends.

PolyPrep | Soft touch clear coat
CLICK HERE Tactile? 400ml Spray Cans

Frost do this, in various colours (not clear)
https://www.frost.co.uk/liquid-plast...t-aerosol.html
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

I actually prefer the switches after the coatings been cleaned off.
AO Silver Member

County: Greater London
Garage

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

Unsurprising after 10 years of dust, sweat and fibres have embedded themselves in a sticky mess. I'd prefer the 'soft' coat, if only it wouldn't end up like that, but so far bone idleness has won.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halftone View Post
I've tried rubberised coating paints (on motorbike parts) and they've been uselessly soft and easily damaged.

I since found these 2K 'soft touch' clearcoats, but I've not tried either. Both are clear, to retain the legends.

PolyPrep | Soft touch clear coat
CLICK HERE Tactile? 400ml Spray Cans

Frost do this, in various colours (not clear)
https://www.frost.co.uk/liquid-plast...t-aerosol.html
Mass produced soft-feel coatings sometimes require the parts to go through a heating process to make them adhere. This means they are moulded slightly oversize to allow for contraction.
DIY results are not going to be quite as durable.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
alfa , handles , improve , interior , panels , people , switch

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page