What have people done to improve alfa switch panels interior handles - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 20Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 27 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: United Kingdom
County: Carmarthenshire
Posts: 3,967

Member car:

Alfa 156 Gta

What have people done to improve alfa switch panels interior handles

I saw some people removing the soft coating and maybe painiting on cleaning

or hydrographics

please.. show us yours..

tips and advice greatfully received
maxiboy wales is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
(Post Link) post #2 of 27 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Status: Back to Alfa ownership again!
Club Member
Membro Medio
 
DerekFKS85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 40
Garage
2 hours ago I demolished my drivers door switch, forgot there is a retaining screw through the door card so be careful if you remove it. New one needed.
DerekFKS85 is offline  
(Post Link) post #3 of 27 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Status: -
Global Mod Team
 
paul.o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Lancashire
Posts: 4,708

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0JTS

Door panel or switch?
paul.o is offline  
(Post Link) post #4 of 27 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Greece
County: Central Greece
Posts: 87

Member car:

alfa 147-156

Strip down your switch, and buy an oven cleaner (like ''fornet'' which I use). It is a foam in a spray can. Apply some on the ''greasy'' surface, wait for 5 minutes and wipe it. I use pieces of foam to do it,from a sheet 1mx1m which I buy for that reason. Apply another coat and do the same again. After 4-5 times the part will be completely ''grease'' free. Since it is a small part normally it doesn't need to be repainted unless you have scratched it. If we were talking about the centre console things would be different. Bear in mind that the ''greasier'' the part is the easier you will clean it. So it is a good idea to heat it before you put the spray on it. Another alternative of painting is ''wrapping''. I suppose you have seen cars with 3M wrapping. 3M also has products for applications on smaller items. They come in every colour and texture. They even have some with metallic not only looks but ''feel'' as well. You can see many videos in youtube. If you see the result it is truly unbelievable.
maxiboy wales likes this.
gnik61 is offline  
(Post Link) post #5 of 27 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Wiltshire
County: -
Posts: 2,007
I recently tried wrapping a small piece of trim in my e61 that suffered the same fate with the coating. Have it a good clean and degrease first wrap went on fine but after a few days with heat from the sun insider the car the wrap started to bubble and lift.

Opted to spray with black plastidip instead,hopefully that lasts better
maxiboy wales likes this.
johnnyroper is offline  
(Post Link) post #6 of 27 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Status: -
AO Member
 
lukew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
County: -
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyroper View Post
I recently tried wrapping a small piece of trim in my e61 that suffered the same fate with the coating. Have it a good clean and degrease first wrap went on fine but after a few days with heat from the sun insider the car the wrap started to bubble and lift.

Opted to spray with black plastidip instead,hopefully that lasts better
I covered my whole car in plastidip, I really regret covering my whole car in plastidip.
maxiboy wales and proinsias like this.
lukew is offline  
(Post Link) post #7 of 27 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: United Kingdom
County: Carmarthenshire
Posts: 3,967

Member car:

Alfa 156 Gta

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul.o View Post
Door panel or switch?
The panels the window switches sit in... soft textered and a horrible messy pain
maxiboy wales is offline  
(Post Link) post #8 of 27 Old 3 Weeks Ago
Status: -
AO Member
 
westonprawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Shropshire
Posts: 944
Garage
I'm planning on wrapping the handles in leather amd the switch panels im grey/Titanium coloured carbon 3M...
I did my Giulietta dash panel along with a few other bits 3 years ago and still looks fresh (if you tuck the edges around the back it's less likely to lift after)...
The rubber coating is letting the GT's interior down
maxiboy wales likes this.
westonprawn is offline  
(Post Link) post #9 of 27 Old 3 Weeks Ago
jwq
Status: driving Giulia Veloce AWD
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
jwq's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 857
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Netherlands
County: Zuid Holland
Posts: 6,485
Garage
you can remove the sticky rubberlike coating cleaning with isopropyl alcohol.....
The resulting plastic can be left as-is ...
jwq is offline  
(Post Link) post #10 of 27 Old 3 Weeks Ago
jwq
Status: driving Giulia Veloce AWD
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
jwq's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 857
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Netherlands
County: Zuid Holland
Posts: 6,485
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by westonprawn View Post
I'm planning on wrapping the handles in leather ......
Did mine on the 147 GTA .....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deura.JPG (142.4 KB, 49 views)
westonprawn and maxiboy wales like this.
jwq is offline  
(Post Link) post #11 of 27 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Status: -
AO Member
 
westonprawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Shropshire
Posts: 944
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwq View Post
you can remove the sticky rubberlike coating cleaning with isopropyl alcohol.....
The resulting plastic can be left as-is ...
I've tried but the base plastic on mine is white which showed through shortly after rubbing
maxiboy wales likes this.
westonprawn is offline  
(Post Link) post #12 of 27 Old 2 Weeks Ago
jwq
Status: driving Giulia Veloce AWD
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
jwq's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 857
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Netherlands
County: Zuid Holland
Posts: 6,485
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by westonprawn View Post
I've tried but the base plastic on mine is white which showed through shortly after rubbing
Strange, was black on mine (and others), just the text in white, as that is illuminated
maxiboy wales likes this.
jwq is offline  
(Post Link) post #13 of 27 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Status: -
AO Member
 
westonprawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Shropshire
Posts: 944
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwq View Post
Strange, was black on mine (and others), just the text in white, as that is illuminated
That's what I thought but when you turn it over its white (could be a cost saving or change of supplier )?
Now I left with an even scruffier one haha
Justin.
maxiboy wales likes this.
westonprawn is offline  
(Post Link) post #14 of 27 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 87

Member car:

156 2.5 V6

I've only had a couple of bad bits so far. A passenger door handle grip was sticky, I just cleaned it and gave it a paint with satin black paint. It was only the inside part so it's hardly noticeable. And the drivers height adjustment lever was sticky. I just cleaned it and left it as is.

I did re-paint my parcel shelf though with fabric paint. Much nicer looking at a black shelf than some strange silver/purple combination.
westonprawn and maxiboy wales like this.
mikesalfa is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
typos1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Dorset
Posts: 3,754

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnik61 View Post
Strip down your switch, and buy an oven cleaner (like ''fornet'' which I use). It is a foam in a spray can. Apply some on the ''greasy'' surface, wait for 5 minutes and wipe it. I use pieces of foam to do it,from a sheet 1mx1m which I buy for that reason. Apply another coat and do the same again. After 4-5 times the part will be completely ''grease'' free. Since it is a small part normally it doesn't need to be repainted unless you have scratched it. If we were talking about the centre console things would be different. Bear in mind that the ''greasier'' the part is the easier you will clean it. So it is a good idea to heat it before you put the spray on it. Another alternative of painting is ''wrapping''. I suppose you have seen cars with 3M wrapping. 3M also has products for applications on smaller items. They come in every colour and texture. They even have some with metallic not only looks but ''feel'' as well. You can see many videos in youtube. If you see the result it is truly unbelievable.
Much easier and quicker to use brake cleaner, plus theres less chance you ll take the black off as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westonprawn View Post
I've tried but the base plastic on mine is white which showed through shortly after rubbing
You used something far to harsh and abrasive and /or scrubbed too hard, brake cleaner is best for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwq View Post
Strange, was black on mine (and others), just the text in white, as that is illuminated
Yours is white underneath too, theyre all the same - injection moulded white nylon, painted black using a stencil (leaving the white nylon showing through in the shape of the electric window symbol so it lights up), then painted with the "soft feel" coating, which then starts to peel off years later. westonprawn used something far to abrasive and/or scrubbed too hard, taking the black off too.
cue2, maxiboy wales and proinsias like this.
typos1 is offline  
Status: Petrol head
AO Platinum Member
 
cue2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Posts: 30,451
Illuminated switches are white plastic painted black and the graphics are generally etched away using a laser.
maxiboy wales likes this.
cue2 is online now  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
typos1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Dorset
Posts: 3,754

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
Illuminated switches are white plastic painted black and the graphics are generally etched away using a laser.
Its usually nylon rather than plastic, but if its etched rather than stencilled fair enough.

Some are also black abs with nylon inserts (that have a raised graphic) which are added to the mould before the black abs is injected in, leaving the raised nylon graphic flush with the black abs, the nylon is white and the light behind shines through, slightly different method, same result. Well slightly better result in that theres no black to come off.
maxiboy wales likes this.
typos1 is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Greece
County: Central Greece
Posts: 87

Member car:

alfa 147-156

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesalfa View Post
I've only had a couple of bad bits so far. A passenger door handle grip was sticky, I just cleaned it and gave it a paint with satin black paint. It was only the inside part so it's hardly noticeable. And the drivers height adjustment lever was sticky. I just cleaned it and left it as is.

I did re-paint my parcel shelf though with fabric paint. Much nicer looking at a black shelf than some strange silver/purple combination.
No there's no chance to take the black off (I've done it many times), but I agree that it isn't quick. The worst part to become sticky is the centre console. I have changed mine once because I didn't want to clean it as it would lose that very nice mat finish. Generally this coating doesn't last more than 10 years. I hope AR will find other coating materials.
gnik61 is offline  
Status: Petrol head
AO Platinum Member
 
cue2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Posts: 30,451
They donít use soft-feel paint any more, judging from the Stelvio.
It was a fashion made popular by VW on the 5th Golf.
cue2 is online now  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
typos1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Dorset
Posts: 3,754

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
They don’t use soft-feel paint any more, judging from the Stelvio.
It was a fashion made popular by VW on the 5th Golf.
I ve had the dubious pleasure of working on the interior of a fair number of Golf 5s, it never ceases to amaze me how poor quality the plastics are and how badly put together it is compared to the 147, despite the supposedly excellent VW build quality and supposedly poor Alfa build quality.

Last edited by typos1; 1 Week Ago at 10:31.
typos1 is offline  
Status: Petrol head
AO Platinum Member
 
cue2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Posts: 30,451
Thereís a frustrating prejudice for the VW stuff, subsidised as it is by the local area as a job creation project, when other companies are actual businesses. I worked for Ford until recently and the company had a deal with a cab company to use Focusís and competitor cars in the accelerated wear testing that is the life of a cab. The parts on the VWs soft feel painted parts etc wore away so quickly to the base plastic but people still perceive them as quality products, often where they looked very precise but didnít have sufficient gaps etc.
cue2 is online now  
Status: New quiet lifters, aircon works!
AO Silver Member
 
halftone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater London
Posts: 1,720
Garage

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

I've tried rubberised coating paints (on motorbike parts) and they've been uselessly soft and easily damaged.

I since found these 2K 'soft touch' clearcoats, but I've not tried either. Both are clear, to retain the legends.

PolyPrep | Soft touch clear coat
CLICK HERE Tactile? 400ml Spray Cans

Frost do this, in various colours (not clear)
https://www.frost.co.uk/liquid-plast...t-aerosol.html
halftone is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
typos1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Dorset
Posts: 3,754

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

I actually prefer the switches after the coatings been cleaned off.
typos1 is offline  
Status: New quiet lifters, aircon works!
AO Silver Member
 
halftone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater London
Posts: 1,720
Garage

Member car:

147 Sport Q2

Unsurprising after 10 years of dust, sweat and fibres have embedded themselves in a sticky mess. I'd prefer the 'soft' coat, if only it wouldn't end up like that, but so far bone idleness has won.
halftone is offline  
Status: Petrol head
AO Platinum Member
 
cue2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
Posts: 30,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by halftone View Post
I've tried rubberised coating paints (on motorbike parts) and they've been uselessly soft and easily damaged.

I since found these 2K 'soft touch' clearcoats, but I've not tried either. Both are clear, to retain the legends.

PolyPrep | Soft touch clear coat
CLICK HERE Tactile? 400ml Spray Cans

Frost do this, in various colours (not clear)
https://www.frost.co.uk/liquid-plast...t-aerosol.html
Mass produced soft-feel coatings sometimes require the parts to go through a heating process to make them adhere. This means they are moulded slightly oversize to allow for contraction.
DIY results are not going to be quite as durable.
cue2 is online now  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
alfa , handles , improve , interior , panels , people , switch

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome