Excessive engine movement/ vibration in reverse - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By Fruity
  • 2 Post By bazzbazz
  • 1 Post By Fruity
  • 1 Post By Fruity

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 03-05-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Shropshire
Garage
Excessive engine movement/ vibration in reverse

Hi
As title says, when I raise the clutch in reverse the movement of the engine is lots more than in first, is this normal?
Also there is a vibration rattle through the clutch when pulling away in either direction ( clutch and flywheel replaced)..
It's a 2008 GT Clover 170 if it helps
Ive replaced the lower rear mount which helped initially.. How many mounts sre there snd which tend to fail?
Thanks, Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: -
There are 3 mountings and a stabilizer;
Stabilizer rod is beside power steering pump/reservoir.
1. Engine mounting forward of crankshaft pulley to inner wing.
2. Gearbox mounting under battery tray. This tends to simply do suspending duties though.
3. Mounting at rear of engine/gearbox new flywheel.

You have done the main culprit. Look at stabilizer rod but it is probably ok.
The other likely one is the mounting in front of crank pulley.
Try to see where most of the movement occurs.

When you state vibration through clutch, I assume you mean clutch pedal?
There is a ping/vibration damper in the clutch line. Depending on version, it may not be available any more. If so, people either get a secondhand part or remove the offending part and have Pirtek or similar make up a new part without the damper.

Diesel engines produce much more low end torque than other engines and subsequently tend to be the only ones which suffer from mounting issues (and DMF wear).
westonprawn likes this.
AO Member

County: Queensland

Member car:

Alfa 156

The "Stabilizer Rod" as Fruity calls is will be torn as well, I'll bet a six pack on it.
(Correct name is Upper Reaction Rod, but everyone calls it the Upper Engine Mount)

There is a groove molded into the rubber bush and it tears through there. When this fails it allows the engine to rock back and forth excessively, putting extra strain on all the other mounts, especially the rear lower mount.
westonprawn and Fruity like this.
(Post Link) post #4 of 9 Old 03-05-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Thanks guy's thats great info 🙂
Ive had a look and can find one stabilizer bar on the top left attaching to suspention turret, is this the one?
It looks in ok nick tbf?
I looked around the power steering resivoir on the bulk head but couldn't see one 😞
Thanks, Justin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190503_160924_1556896636399.jpg (54.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 20190503_160940_1556896664566.jpg (39.9 KB, 12 views)
(Post Link) post #5 of 9 Old 03-05-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Thanks Fruity, yes its through the pedal 🙂 .How do I tell if the ping damper is faulty?

Thanks, Justin

Last edited by westonprawn; 04-05-19 at 07:06.
AO Silver Member

Yes, that is the upper reaction rod.
Just have a look to see where most of the movement occurs.
The ping/vibration damper only damps pedal movement but also reduces vibration reaching the pedal.
Knowing if it is faulty is a bit of guesswork, I think. Most people remove it as it makes the clutch pedal feel less positive. If you have a vibration, removing it won't help as it is meant to reduce vibration produced from the clutch/flywheel assembly. If it is only when the pedal is moving, the damper is ay fault. If it happens with stationary pedal, the damper may/may not be faulty.

I can't say for sure. Was clutch changed by you or a garage? If it was by garage, is it within 12 month warranty? That may be best. It could be the DMF. Too much throttle below seems to kill DMF. It is better to use a lower gear to try to keep nearer 2000rpm before using full throttle.
westonprawn likes this.
(Post Link) post #7 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruity View Post
Yes, that is the upper reaction rod.
Just have a look to see where most of the movement occurs.
The ping/vibration damper only damps pedal movement but also reduces vibration reaching the pedal.
Knowing if it is faulty is a bit of guesswork, I think. Most people remove it as it makes the clutch pedal feel less positive. If you have a vibration, removing it won't help as it is meant to reduce vibration produced from the clutch/flywheel assembly. If it is only when the pedal is moving, the damper is ay fault. If it happens with stationary pedal, the damper may/may not be faulty.

I can't say for sure. Was clutch changed by you or a garage? If it was by garage, is it within 12 month warranty? That may be best. It could be the DMF. Too much throttle below seems to kill DMF. It is better to use a lower gear to try to keep nearer 2000rpm before using full throttle.
Sorry Fruity I didn't notice the reply..
Thats great info thanks, the clutch and DMF were by thr previulous owner about 2 years ago 10k miles so will be out of warranty and 100 miles away ( I got it from Blackpool but live in Telford)
The vibration is only when at biting point and DMF has no usual rattle etc.. Could the clutch plate be warped?
I spoke to a mechanic mate who's going to make up a pipe to raplace the damper (hence the ither thread I made as I missed you last reply) ) ...So will be "straight through" essentiallly, is that what you meant?
I've also replaced upper bar but has made no difference so going to take a look at the rest today

Thanks again, Justin

Keep out the black and in the red, nothing for this game for two in a bed!
(Post Link) post #8 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

It may be a clutch fault as you mentioned it only occurs at the biting point which will not be good news.
Damn these DMFs.
Anecdotally, a number of year ago, I swapped over the clutch on the trusty old Volvo estate from the previous one. The reason was the cutch to be fitted was fairly recent and was done to reduce clutch judder at the biting point. It worked, for about 2 months before the judder came back. Maybe one of these days I'll take the flywheel off to be skimmed, or just continue to live with it.
westonprawn likes this.
(Post Link) post #9 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruity View Post
It may be a clutch fault as you mentioned it only occurs at the biting point which will not be good news.
Damn these DMFs.
Anecdotally, a number of year ago, I swapped over the clutch on the trusty old Volvo estate from the previous one. The reason was the cutch to be fitted was fairly recent and was done to reduce clutch judder at the biting point. It worked, for about 2 months before the judder came back. Maybe one of these days I'll take the flywheel off to be skimmed, or just continue to live with it.
Ah makes sense and to be fair I think it's more mechanical than hydrolic, selecting gears is fine and if I give more revs its not hugely annoying lol
I'll just try to live with it as long as possible, Ive just completed our extension so could do with out the expense
Thanks, Justin

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
engine , excessive , movement or , reverse , vibration

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page