Blown head gasket - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 29-03-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Blown head gasket

The head gasket on my alfa 156 jts 2004 has just blown...in the middle of a busy car park. Drove it to the mother in laws house about half a mile away. It will be in the garage in an hour but I'm wondering if its worth the money to get fixed (probly £300-400) as it is in good condition and i really like the car but would like to know if this will possibly damage other parts of the car.

Thanks, Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricC1995 View Post
The head gasket on my alfa 156 jts 2004 has just blown...in the middle of a busy car park. Drove it to the mother in laws house about half a mile away. It will be in the garage in an hour but I'm wondering if its worth the money to get fixed (probly £300-400) as it is in good condition and i really like the car but would like to know if this will possibly damage other parts of the car.

Thanks, Eric
Sorry to hear this.

I guess it depends on the condition of the car and how much money spent/how well you've looked after it to date.

You would also depend on the garage in question to know their way about an alfa and give you an honest, even if hard to hear, assessment!

400quid is not a huge amount of money if you caught it early enough and nothing terminally over heated or warped....and particularly if you know have a good car there

Keep us posted
regards
Tony
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Mine went on my TS .. I changed it myself (only because I wanted to and it was a '98 model!) .. afterwards it ran better than it had for a long time.

I guess potentially the cat could be damaged but I think that runs so hot any water would turn to vapour/steam .. hence the white exhaust smoke!

Otherwise .. unlikely to. You'll need a oil and filter change too.

I DID replace the head bolts .. mine had visibly stretched but the engine had been apart a couple of times in the 210,000 miles .. cam belt failed and then big-end bearings about a year later! It was a small outlay to know it was going to be a good engine again.

cheers, Gary

HIS: ex-1998 156 2.0 TSpark with Sport Pack 2, sunroof and hi-level spoiler in Alfa Rosso. V6 intake mod, clear side repeaters and Zeatek undertray. 10th Sep 1998 to 12th Jan 2017

HERS: 2009 MiTo 1.4 95bhp Turismo arrived 21st November in Techno Grey with colour-coded headlight surrounds.

My Alfa156 Web Site - how-to's, piccies, links, useful stuff, etc.
AO Member

Yup!
So consider that mines needs discs and pads all round. When the drivers side was stripped down...needs a caliper too (groans)
Parts alone its 250quid. If only i had the time to do this myself .

My head gasket might blow in 12 months.
Id already be too far into an outlay to NOT get in fixed(if it was fixable).

If your timing belt and pump are due, even if its 12months early, just do it all at once and itll be good as new 👍🤞
AO Silver Member

It won't be £300-400. Start thinking more like twice that. there is a bit more to the JTS than a TS. Also, if the head is off, you have the chance to do the obligatory decoke to inlet valves and ports. There should be no subsequent damage.

Parts cost will be about the initial hoped for cost.
Cylinder head gasket set £120
Timing belt kit £150
Engineering shop costs £100
Labour- say 10 hours £500
Consumables & fluids £50

When I looked at mine, it became obvious the valves needed to be removed before skimming the head. Prices have gone up for this sort of thing in the past couple of decades and newer cars will easily swallow £1500 in many cases (even for 1.6 TDCI/HDI engines as fitted to Peugeot, Citroen, Ford, Mazda & Volvo).
(Post Link) post #6 of 12 Old 29-03-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thank you all for the replys. The timing belt and water pump is a great shout. Reason the work will be so cheap is that the mechanic is a long time family friend btw.
AO Member

Quote:
Thank you all for the replys. The timing belt and water pump is a great shout. Reason the work will be so cheap is that the mechanic is a long time family friend btw.
Awesome! Then go for it.
Every family needs a friend like this..be it plumber, spark or mechanic
Best of luck, hope it all goes seamlessly 👌
Regards
Tony
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Soon to be past tense.

Seriously though, remember about the balance shaft belt and possibly idler and tensioner. The decoke will probably release 30bhp and make the engine run sweeter and rev so much more freely. Make sure to use the correct timing tools as this is important to achieving good performance.

Check the auxilliary belt tensioner for spring, alignment and bearing wear. If necessary, get a new auxilliary drive belt. Finally, treating it to a sump-full of decent 10W/60 won't harm it either.

If all that is done right and it is as carboned as expected, you won't believe it's the same engine afterwards.
(Post Link) post #9 of 12 Old 14-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

My car repairs are currently underway with all new parts arrived. I was reading on my e-learn repair manual on the computer that the a/c has to be drained and the compressor removed to do a head gasket and full belt change on my 156 jts.

Can anyone else confirm that is definite as i dont want to pay for a recharge again 😂😂.

Is there a way my mechanic will do it without taking off the compressor?
AO Silver Member

County: Aberdeenshire
you could just unbolt the compressor from the engine, leaving the pipes connected, and support it against the slam panel.
AO Silver Member

Or find a piece of wood supported by radiator bracket/engine mounting.

The cylinder head is being skimmed, yes?
(Post Link) post #12 of 12 Old 16-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Yes the head is being pressure tested and skimmed...didn't realise the compressor was bolted to it 😂😂

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
blown , gasket , head

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page