Changing Washer Nozzles... (including inanity) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By djlat
  • 1 Post By baxter2308
  • 1 Post By djlat
  • 1 Post By dgmayhead
  • 2 Post By baxter2308

(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 11-02-18 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 2209
County: Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

156 GTA

Changing Washer Nozzles... (including inanity)

I've been meaning to change my washer nozzles and refurbish the scuttle panel for ages, and after the nozzles gave up a few days ago I've been forced into getting it done. What I didn't expect was the weekend's worth of work it turned out to be. Hopefully this short write up will be of use to those with similar issues:

You'll need:

1. A can of plastic primer - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hycote-Grey...plastic+primer
2. A can of plastic matt black paint - https://www.amazon.co.uk/HYCOTE-XUK0...+plastic+paint
3. Flat-head and cross head screwdrivers
4. Torx 25 screwdriver (could be a 20)
5. A spare scuttle panel (if you intend to use the car in the meantime)
6. Rubber friendly glue (to reattach the scuttle panel seal (if required)
7. A good mask (the paint fumes are nasty)
8. A set of washer nozzles - I got geniune 156 ones but I'm told MiTo ones are MUCH better.
9. Cleaning products and rags to clean out any crud and detritus

You might want to sand down the panels a little and apply some lacquer after the black paint goes on, the paint didn't explicitly recommend this so I didn't do either (we'll see if that was a mistake).

Pic 1: Remove windscreen wipers and arms - There are two plastic covers protecting the 13mm nuts which hold the wiper arms in place. A small flat head will tease them off. The arms may require some persuasion to let go of the wiper mechanism, a rubber hammer and a gentle tap should do the trick. Next, remove the three torx (T25 I think) screws along the bottom of the panels and lastly, the cross-head screws at the top corners of the scuttle where the edge meets the the wing (behind little plastic covers).

Pic 2: Don't forget this hidden screw near the bonnet hinge. There is one at both sides of the scuttle.

Pic 3: The scuttle will be held in place by those little 'christmas tree' clips. Tease them away from the scuttle with a firm tug (giggity) and set the panels aside for painting later. Whilst your car may be different, removing the scuttles revealed a small landfill site.

Pic 4: Passenger side: Get yourself some gloves and scoop out the crud, dead spiders, leaves, bits of sponge and the odd broken fastener.

Pic 5: Drivers side: Not as bad but covered in cobwebs and leaves.

Pic 6: Given that the scuttle was so bad I removed the foam pieces at each side of the engine bay (where the bonnet hinges are). In the wrong circumstances these look like they could be rot incubators.

Continued...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01.jpg (182.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 02.jpg (198.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 03.jpg (189.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 04.jpg (340.7 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 05.jpg (157.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 06.jpg (327.9 KB, 20 views)

Now: 156 GTA | Quaife Diff | Wizard Manifolds | Eibach Pro Shocks & Springs | Eibach ARBs | 330mm Brembo Calipers

Then: 147 Sport Q2 | Autolusso Remap | Swirl Flap & EGR Delete | Mocal Oil Cooler Kit | JTD Performance FMIC Kit | High Flow Elbow | Wizard Downpipe | PF Pads & 5.1 Fluid | Autolusso Braided Brake Lines | MTech Short-Shifter | Autolusso Silicone Turbo-to-MAF Hose | Refurbed Q2s

Last edited by baxter2308; 11-02-18 at 19:58.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Kent
Last year when the passenger side one started clogging again I just unhooked the hoses to the washers and installed an on-wiper-arm kit instead, got tired of the OEM ones clogging up so fast. No probs since so hopefully will be a better long-term solution for me :-)
baxter2308 likes this.
(Post Link) post #3 of 11 Old 11-02-18 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage

Member car:

156 GTA

Pic 7: Bonus shot of the crud. It was a lovely thick gloopy mud with spider entrails, beetles and leaves. A small ecosystem was forming... unpleasant but soapy water and elbow grease came to the rescue.

Pic 8: A proper clean revealed a bit of rot, it's still solid so this may have been caught in time. (Rust and I don't really know each other that well, it's a good job there's a Pud nearby )

Pic 9: More rot on the passenger side. Not terrible, just the paint that's crusty. Looks like it could a fun angle to work in .

Pic 10: That was a good couple of hours work so back to the job I intended to do in the first place. Here we have two tired scuttle panels which need some TLC.

Pic 11: First job is to give them a good wash and then give them a once over with the panel wipe.

Pic 12: Two scuttle panels after three coats of plastic primer. Give it a day to dry properly.

Continued...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 07.jpg (211.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 08.jpg (345.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 09.jpg (361.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 10.jpg (273.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 11.jpg (242.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 12.jpg (231.2 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by baxter2308; 11-02-18 at 17:56.
(Post Link) post #4 of 11 Old 11-02-18 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage

Member car:

156 GTA

Pic 13: After two coats of matt black paint, they're starting to look the part now.

Pic 14: After a third coat they were looking nice... Until I left them in the bath to dry with the skylight open, of course it didn't rain and... profane words etc... a new coat was required. Still, I think they were saved.

Pic 15: Finished, dry, new nozzles installed and ready to go back in the car. Remember to re-connect the washer hoses, cold rubber is not compliant so Fairy liquid was called for.

Pic 16: Apologies this was an awful pic but I ran out of daylight, I'll post a better one tomorrow.

Lastly, put everything back together, enjoy nozzles which actually work and have a hot beverage. Next time I would like to do this job when it's more than 3 degrees C.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13.jpg (236.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 14.jpg (267.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 15.jpg (209.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 16.jpg (116.2 KB, 24 views)
sye likes this.
(Post Link) post #5 of 11 Old 11-02-18 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage

Member car:

156 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlat View Post
Last year when the passenger side one started clogging again I just unhooked the hoses to the washers and installed an on-wiper-arm kit instead, got tired of the OEM ones clogging up so fast. No probs since so hopefully will be a better long-term solution for me :-)
Good idea, it's a real pain removing the scuttle because it's old now, there's always the fear of breaking it.
AO Member

County: Kent
I thought so. Didn't drill holes either, just fed the extension hoses thru the slots so no damage done and can go back to OEM if I ever need to :-)
baxter2308 likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Gwynedd
When setting the jets you can wrap the seat belt around the wiper stalk. Thus eliminating to the need for someone operating them while you do the adjustment.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk
baxter2308 likes this.
(Post Link) post #8 of 11 Old 12-02-18 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage

Member car:

156 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgmayhead View Post
When setting the jets you can wrap the seat belt around the wiper stalk. Thus eliminating to the need for someone operating them while you do the adjustment.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk
Sounds much easier than the constant back and forth to the stalk. I’ll remember that for next time.
(Post Link) post #9 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage

Member car:

156 GTA

Old thread revival. Are MiTo windscreen washers a direct fit to the 156 or is botching required?
(Post Link) post #10 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxter2308 View Post
Old thread revival. Are MiTo windscreen washers a direct fit to the 156 or is botching required?
They're direct fit on the GT/147, but nozzles are bonnet mounted.

156 squirters are hidden down in the scuttle right? There's no angle adjustment on the Mito jets, so if they're aiming too low there's nothing you can do about it!
(Post Link) post #11 of 11 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Garage

Member car:

156 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
They're direct fit on the GT/147, but nozzles are bonnet mounted.

156 squirters are hidden down in the scuttle right? There's no angle adjustment on the Mito jets, so if they're aiming too low there's nothing you can do about it!
Bloody hell!! Correct, the 156 has scuttle mounted washers with an adjuster and they are really terrible. Thanks for saving me the trouble.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , gta , nozzles , refurbish , windscreen

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page