Good morning all.
Apologies for the delay, it took longer than expected to build up the motivation to pull this apart again. Not sure what I was so worried about, it only took a couple of hours to re-set the timing and it's now a completely different car! It purrs at idle instead of chuffing away, I also find the bottom end power has improved dramatically - it just doesn't feel as flat as it was before. Top end is still the same - get above 4,500 rpm and it really comes to life.
Now then, here's what I found:
These should be the same
. If they aren't then one of the tools is wrong.
I simply reset the timing using the good tool on one cam, then flipping it around to check the other. The tool that's cut out wrong...well the best place for that is the scrap steel bin!
Here's the "timing mark" before, as set with the incorrect lock:
Here it is after being adjusted, as set with the correct tool:
This is how the correct tool fitted on the incorrectly set cam when at cylinder 1 TDC before the cam was re-timed:
There is a very, very
slight amount of slop in the camshaft when the locking tool is fitted, this is a negligible amount in my case - less than half the width of the timing mark line.
So there we have it - BEWARE if you're planning on using or purchasing the red ebay cam locking tools.
Thanks for the help everyone