V6 engine cleanup - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 161Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 250 Old 17-03-17 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Garage
V6 engine cleanup

Hi folks, I'm looking sadly at the neglected, dirty and corroded looking V6 in my newly aquired 156 Veloce's engine bay and starting to plan what to do about it.
First off, is it relatively easy to remove the cambelt cover in situ, as you will see - mine is 90% rust, 10% paint?

Obviously cam covers / coil covers need attention / powder coated too and the EGR pipes are looking tired and a bit iffy / split but I can't seem to find any vendor who sells these for a '98, only MY2000 onwards and the pipes are different for these? Any pointers on this please?

Cleaning alloy - wise, is it simply a case of lots of elbow grease and WD-40? My experience with alloy cleaners like Solvol are that they end up being a LOT of work, as you make a clean, shiny spot and then have to clean everything else to the same standard or it looks like crap!

Any other pearls of wisdom appreciated on any unique aspect of the 2.5 V6, as my experience so far is all 3.0 V6 which is subtly different.

Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg engine.jpg (154.3 KB, 370 views)
simonjohnson likes this.

2002 Spider V6 - 1998 156 2.5 V6 - 2007 GT 1.9jtdm - 1998 GTV V6 phase 1 - being brought back from the dead!
Check out my Youtube Alfa channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFe...Vvo4wMNfCafNmA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
First, I photographed everything before I started, it did pay off several times when rebuilding and it helped retain the original look I was after.

The bolts were replace the bolts with stainless, whatever else you do the original bolts will show up your efforts.

This is the link for the bolts, we had a group buy going but that's finished so the price has increased to £48:00 inclusive. If you mention the forum deal you may be able to negotiate a better price.

http://www.a2stainless.co.uk/Alfa-Ro...Kit_AYZ3E.aspx

I cleaned up the cam covers etc and painted them with Simonize sliver engine enamel, baked in the oven! Silver was a bit bright so I gave a light overspray with black enamel befor baking. The Alfa script was repainted using Hammerite gloss red. Small brackets were stripped, rust proofed and repainted silver. Other alloy parts are just down to spit and polish, the throttle body was cleaned using "astonish" with a toothbrush.

Any loose wiring was tidied up using loom tape.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hard plastic was cleaned and treated with Autoglym vinyl cleaner, spray this over the engine before going for a drive and everything will be shiney when you open the bonnet.

Oh and I bought new intakes as the originals were poor, otherwise "Autosol" chrome cleaner seems to be well regarded.

Rob

Brilliant Blue 156 GTA SportWagon

2011 Ghiaccio Bianco 159 2.0 ltr JTDm Lusso SportWagon
AO Member

County: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOX1C View Post
First, I photographed everything before I started, it did pay off several times when rebuilding and it helped retain the original look I was after.

The bolts were replace the bolts with stainless, whatever else you do the original bolts will show up your efforts.

This is the link for the bolts, we had a group buy going but that's finished so the price has increased to £48:00 inclusive. If you mention the forum deal you may be able to negotiate a better price.

http://www.a2stainless.co.uk/Alfa-Ro...Kit_AYZ3E.aspx

I cleaned up the cam covers etc and painted them with Simonize sliver engine enamel, baked in the oven! Silver was a bit bright so I gave a light overspray with black enamel befor baking. The Alfa script was repainted using Hammerite gloss red. Small brackets were stripped, rust proofed and repainted silver. Other alloy parts are just down to spit and polish, the throttle body was cleaned using "astonish" with a toothbrush.

Any loose wiring was tidied up using loom tape.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hard plastic was cleaned and treated with Autoglym vinyl cleaner, spray this over the engine before going for a drive and everything will be shiney when you open the bonnet.

Oh and I bought new intakes as the originals were poor, otherwise "Autosol" chrome cleaner seems to be well regarded.

Rob
All done by hand, though engine was out of the car. Chrome cleaned up with autosol - took an afternoon in the sunshine. Cam covers VHT rattle can silver followed by VHT clear. Plenum and coil cover VHT satin black, details wet sanded with 1200 grade wet and dry then cleared. Once back in the car used Armourall trim cleaner on plastic and rubber bits. The paint cures at 90 degrees so under bonnet heat sorted that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0133.jpg (127.9 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0134.jpg (72.7 KB, 323 views)
(Post Link) post #4 of 250 Old 19-03-17 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Cheers for that fellas - some useful advice there. I dont think I'll be taking the engine out though Richard - not got the facilities! Some of my bits may have to be sent out to be powder coated etc as its mostly down to lack of time and no nice roomy garage
This might take a while......
cgc
AO Silver Member

County: Monmouthshire
Lovely looking motor Richard.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgc View Post
Lovely looking motor Richard.

Thanks,

It was heading towards a cam belt change, clutch felt funny and then the forward bank head gasket failed due to the gasket being rotten in the water passage area. So did the lot and got a little carried away on reassembly. So far the DIY finish has lasted well.
cgc
AO Silver Member

I think I'll get some of those stainless steel bolts myself, cheers for the link. Mine looks very amateurish at the moment, not even going to post a pic until it's better.

maxiboy wales likes this.
(Post Link) post #8 of 250 Old 19-03-17 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
I agree, you've done a fine job Richard but I'm even more jealous now - I've just noticed that your GtV is up on a lift!
Ican just about get in my Spider when its in the garage but no room to work on anything....and the 156 is currently sitting in a barn miles away. Large Man Cave required! irked:
bobulon likes this.
(Post Link) post #9 of 250 Old 27-03-17 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard younger View Post
All done by hand, though engine was out of the car. Chrome cleaned up with autosol - took an afternoon in the sunshine. Cam covers VHT rattle can silver followed by VHT clear. Plenum and coil cover VHT satin black, details wet sanded with 1200 grade wet and dry then cleared. Once back in the car used Armourall trim cleaner on plastic and rubber bits. The paint cures at 90 degrees so under bonnet heat sorted that.
Just curious Richard - obviously you took off your plenum and cam covers etc to paint but is that a straightforward exercise? Any gremlins waiting to ambush me if I get the socket set out?
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unclejam View Post
Just curious Richard - obviously you took off your plenum and cam covers etc to paint but is that a straightforward exercise? Any gremlins waiting to ambush me if I get the socket set out?
Also had the cylinder heads off but that's another story.
Coil pack cover is 4 allen bolts, rear plenum is two allen bolts, steady bracket and possibly an earth lead (Cf3 GTV).
You then have the various breather hoses to disconnect and the intake runner rubbers - click R pliers make this a simple job.
Lastly there is the throttle which is held by 4 allen bolts and connected with a multi pin plug.

While you are this far on - why not remove the chrome inlet runners and give them a polish? Please if you do, stuff some kitchen roll into the inlets as dropping something into one could be called "troublesome".
simonjohnson likes this.
(Post Link) post #11 of 250 Old 29-03-17 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard younger View Post
Also had the cylinder heads off but that's another story.
Coil pack cover is 4 allen bolts, rear plenum is two allen bolts, steady bracket and possibly an earth lead (Cf3 GTV).
You then have the various breather hoses to disconnect and the intake runner rubbers - click R pliers make this a simple job.
Lastly there is the throttle which is held by 4 allen bolts and connected with a multi pin plug.

While you are this far on - why not remove the chrome inlet runners and give them a polish? Please if you do, stuff some kitchen roll into the inlets as dropping something into one could be called "troublesome".
Cheers for that Richard, probably simpler than I thought in fact. Yes, I have dropped bolts and other small items into teeny crevices on previous cars and invested in a long, telescopic magnetic tool for retrieving them. Doesn't work on alloy bits though of course!
cgc
AO Silver Member

I got a set of the stainless steel bolts through the post other day and they look good.

maxiboy wales and bobulon like this.
(Post Link) post #13 of 250 Old 30-03-17 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
I got a set of the stainless steel bolts through the post other day and they look good.

Hi mate - how's it going? Yes I'll have to do the same I think - mine are all rusty and nasty looking!
simonjohnson likes this.
cgc
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Hi mate - how's it going? Yes I'll have to do the same I think - mine are all rusty and nasty looking!
Well I have a bag of bolts lol. The car is at the body shop having the Autodelta upper and lower rear aprons and quad exhaust sprayed and fitted.

(Post Link) post #15 of 250 Old 30-03-17 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Sounds good. Did you get EL downpipes in the end?

Oh yes, another question: What did you pay for the stainless bolts may I ask? More than the AO deal of £48? I emailed them to ask for a price but they didn't reply.
cgc
AO Silver Member

No I've not got as far as the downpipes and cat yet, got a de-cat'd CF3 wizard manifold, alfaholics box-less centre and with the original end pipe it sounds terrible so getting my autodelta rear bumper bits sprayed and fitted at the same time as fitting the silenced raggazon quad DTM's jumped to the top of the to-do list. Might do a total front end suspension re-furb before I fit EL down pipes, my car looks a bit lower than it should....probably 15 years wear and tear, but waiting for someone to re-manufacturer the top mounts.

Bag of bolts was £48 + 7 p&p.

AO Member

County: East Sussex
Great thread, I'm looking at a major spring clean this year on my recently purchased v6 GT and all the above info is very useful - especially cheers to Rob and Richard for your advice and tips... I've now sent off for the bolt set, they look great!
cgc and Unclejam like this.
(Post Link) post #18 of 250 Old 31-03-17 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
No I've not got as far as the downpipes and cat yet, got a de-cat'd CF3 wizard manifold, alfaholics box-less centre and with the original end pipe it sounds terrible so getting my autodelta rear bumper bits sprayed and fitted at the same time as fitting the silenced raggazon quad DTM's jumped to the top of the to-do list. Might do a total front end suspension re-furb before I fit EL down pipes, my car looks a bit lower than it should....probably 15 years wear and tear, but waiting for someone to re-manufacturer the top mounts.

Bag of bolts was £48 + 7 p&p.

Crikey, it's certainly an expensive business refurbing an Italian car isn't it? I started to add up what I'd spent in the last two years alone and quickly put away the calculator.
"Partsworld" were selling GTV top mounts - genuine factory ones, all shiny and goldy lookin'
Check em out:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Romeo...0AAOSw--1Wr4dj
(Post Link) post #19 of 250 Old 31-03-17 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjohnson View Post
Great thread, I'm looking at a major spring clean this year on my recently purchased v6 GT and all the above info is very useful - especially cheers to Rob and Richard for your advice and tips... I've now sent off for the bolt set, they look great!
Good luck Simon, theres something very satisfying about cleaning stuff isnt there. (Apart from the house of course, I'm not THAT nuts!)
simonjohnson likes this.
(Post Link) post #20 of 250 Old 31-03-17 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
No I've not got as far as the downpipes and cat yet, got a de-cat'd CF3 wizard manifold......

Did you buy the decat manifolds, or did Wizard gut your existing ones for you? Also, with the manifolds decatted, do the remaining two centre cats still do enough for MOt purposes?
cgc
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Crikey, it's certainly an expensive business refurbing an Italian car isn't it? I started to add up what I'd spent in the last two years alone and quickly put away the calculator.
"Partsworld" were selling GTV top mounts - genuine factory ones, all shiny and goldy lookin'
Check em out:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Romeo...0AAOSw--1Wr4dj
Ah, but can you get the left one? Not a chance from what I've heard. Would like to do both at once.

cgc
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Did you buy the decat manifolds, or did Wizard gut your existing ones for you? Also, with the manifolds decatted, do the remaining two centre cats still do enough for MOt purposes?
They were new from wizard, stainless steel and the workmanship was exquisite. £750 though cough.

Yep passed the mot fine.

AO Member

County: East Sussex
Anyone know if/where you can get new chrome intake tubes for a 3.2 v6? Failing that can they be re-chromed?
maxiboy wales likes this.
(Post Link) post #24 of 250 Old 02-04-17 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
They were new from wizard, stainless steel and the workmanship was exquisite. £750 though cough.

Yep passed the mot fine.

Bloody hell, were they fashioned out of Unicorn horn by fairies??

Wizard make some lovely stuff to be fair, you won't find nicer welds anywhere....
cgc likes this.
(Post Link) post #25 of 250 Old 02-04-17 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Garage
Quote:
Ah, but can you get the left one? Not a chance from what I've heard. Would like to do both at once.

Sorry I wasnt aware they were different, I assumed they were the same both sides. What a fool I was assuming ANYTHING Alfa Romeo manufactured would be straightforward, interchangeable, standardised or easily available!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
cleanup , engine

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page