19 yr old on 147 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Adrian Flux Insurance Looking for advice on insuring your Alfa Romeo?
Click here for an online quotation

Reply
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 46 Old 16-10-07 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 12

Member car:

147

19 yr old on 147

hi
i am just in the process of buying a 147 jtd lusso and wondered if any of you know of any good companies to try for insurance.

my i can use my mother as named driver and use her no claims of 4 years
with one accident.

the best quote i have a so far is around the 1300 mark.

also does anyone know. I was on my mothers poilcy and it was me who had the accident 2 years ago when we renewed they marked the claim down for both of us because it was her policy that we claimed thorough but i was the driver. i guess this this right?

cheers

joe
joe88 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: Waiting for Stelvio QV
AO Platinum Member
 
OperationAlfa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Essex
Posts: 23,452
Re: 19 yr old on 147

That seems very reasonable joe. Providing its fully comp.

OA
OperationAlfa is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Colinjb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Coventry
Posts: 754
Re: 19 yr old on 147

£1300... seems too good to be true. Is it fully comp, who is it with etc...
Colinjb is offline  
Status: Waiting for Stelvio QV
AO Platinum Member
 
OperationAlfa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Essex
Posts: 23,452
Re: 19 yr old on 147

I paid £1200 to go third party on my Pug 306 when I passed and I was 19.

That was a 1.8 too. And I live in London
OperationAlfa is offline  
Rayq81
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 19 yr old on 147

1300 seems reasonable i tried to insure my 17 year old on my Alfa most companies just would not quote !!
 
Status: -
AO Member
 
Colinjb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Coventry
Posts: 754
Re: 19 yr old on 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperationAlfa View Post
I paid £1200 to go third party on my Pug 306 when I passed and I was 19.

That was a 1.8 too. And I live in London
That is IG 6 maximum though. The 147 JTD is IG 11-14. Quite a difference.
Colinjb is offline  
(Post Link) post #7 of 46 Old 16-10-07 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 12

Member car:

147

Re: 19 yr old on 147

thats with norwich union i think its IG 12 that model.
i have been having some quotes around the £3000 mark like

cheers for the repleys
joe88 is offline  
Status: Bavarian
Admin Team
 
bobda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
County: -
Posts: 15,172

Member car:

Not a GT

Re: 19 yr old on 147

Don't forget that you can only use NCB on one car at a time. If you are sharing the car with your mum than that's not a problem, but if she also has a car insured in her name, it is.
bobda is offline  
(Post Link) post #9 of 46 Old 16-10-07 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 12

Member car:

147

Re: 19 yr old on 147

im using all her ncb. she has a little 106 that she insures with with no ncb
joe88 is offline  
Status: Waiting for Stelvio QV
AO Platinum Member
 
OperationAlfa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Essex
Posts: 23,452
Re: 19 yr old on 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colinjb View Post
That is IG 6 maximum though. The 147 JTD is IG 11-14. Quite a difference.
thus why i was saying its a good price! but he's using mums NCB
OperationAlfa is offline  
tcm
Status: -
AO Member
 
tcm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: Surrey
Posts: 62

Member car:

147 1.6TS

Re: 19 yr old on 147

Im also 19, the best quote i got was from direct line Ive got a 147 in my name with one years ncb and its £1400, they also do monthly payments at 0.0%. In the long run i feel its better to take out the policy in your own name if possible that way you can build up your own ncb.
tcm is offline  
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 44,739
Re: 19 yr old on 147

But then if you crash again your mum again loses her NCB right?

Maybe you should insure it in your own name and build up your own? I'm only 21 now, and my parents wouldn't let me do it in their name (this is 2 years ago), I had to work more hours to afford the insurance but I'm glad I did now. I have 2 years NCB and my insurance this year was a very good price.
Pud237 is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
marko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Tyne and Wear
Posts: 2,736
Re: 19 yr old on 147

i paid about 1400 for my 147 when i was 20, that was with 2 years NCD but 3 points and a total loss accident, 2 litre model. have you tried noel dazely and adrian flux? they were by far the best for me (and a lot of people on here)
marko is offline  
Status: Making Ron Jeremy look small !
AO Platinum Member
 
howell811's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virgin Islands (British)
County: -
Posts: 26,529

Member car:

75

Re: 19 yr old on 147

Paid £ 960 (fully comp) for a Vauxhall Nova (1.2) when I was 21. This was after an accident, but was 14 years ago. Then paid £ 1350 for a mini cooper (a year later).
howell811 is offline  
(Post Link) post #15 of 46 Old 16-10-07 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 12

Member car:

147

Re: 19 yr old on 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
But then if you crash again your mum again loses her NCB right?

Maybe you should insure it in your own name and build up your own? I'm only 21 now, and my parents wouldn't let me do it in their name (this is 2 years ago), I had to work more hours to afford the insurance but I'm glad I did now. I have 2 years NCB and my insurance this year was a very good price.
true but no one plans to crash again.

my parents seem quite happy to let me use there ncb so i might aswell do so untill i have a well paid job and can afford to insure my car comfortably.

got my quote down to £1100 with the RAC now ill give noel dazely and adrian flux a ring tomorrow

thanks for the help guys

joe
joe88 is offline  
Darren156
Status: - Update
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: 19 yr old on 147

RAC were fantastic when I first went with them, but then they put the price up for my following year for no reaso whatsoever. So yeah, go with RAC then jump to Admiral next year, thats what I did and got great results.

Welcome to the Alfa fold mate!

Daz
 
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Andy G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 1,790

Member car:

147 GTA

Re: 19 yr old on 147

Quote:
true but no one plans to crash again
no one intends to crash, but it happens!

I'd be with pud on this, best to get your own insurance cover and not rely on your parents and their NCB's. False economy in the end, as sooner than later you'll need to start and it'll cost a bit even if you have a years experience.

Personally if you can't afford to insure the car, then can you afford to buy it? Its bad news I know and not ideal, but build up the bonus then go for the car.
Andy G is offline  
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 44,739
Re: 19 yr old on 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
no one intends to crash, but it happens!

I'd be with pud on this, best to get your own insurance cover and not rely on your parents and their NCB's. False economy in the end, as sooner than later you'll need to start and it'll cost a bit even if you have a years experience.

Personally if you can't afford to insure the car, then can you afford to buy it? Its bad news I know and not ideal, but build up the bonus then go for the car.
Its true, plus being the main driver of a car while its insured on someone else's policy is fronting, which is insurance fraud and illegal. Should you crash and the insurance company look into it, they may decide not to pay out, leaving you well and truly in the sh*t. You get done for driving without insurance and then are open to legal action for compensation from someone you might crash into.

It really would be best just to get your own insurance, even if it means getting it on credit or getting a cheap bank loan to pay for it, and work a bit more to pay it off. Once you start building up NCB the added premiums for your accident start to reduce.

I was in exactly your position when I was 19, two years ago. My parents wouldn't let me use their NCB and I had to pay £1250 for my policy instead of £500 for a policy in my mum's name with me as a named driver. But I'm glad she stood firm, I have two years NCB now and at 21 on an insurance group 14 car I'm paying only £450 for the year, you can't ask for better than that.
Pud237 is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Standish, Nr Wigan, UK
Posts: 25

Member car:

Alfa 156

Re: 19 yr old on 147

I was very lucky, first year getting a car at 19, searching around to insure my 1.4 d P reg Corsa, i had done pass plus and most places where quoting me around 2-3k! Went to direct line, and they would accept my no claims from my 125 motorbike! 2 years noclaims got me insured for £450! im now 22 with 5 years NCB, looking at 700 fully comp for my y reg 156 2L (which i think is a little high, but atm i cant move insurance as most places dont like the fact that my NCB is greater than my licence lengh so ill have a bit more sway in a year, but hey hey, its all good
Gandeh is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
norbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cheshire
Posts: 2,145
Re: 19 yr old on 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Its true, plus being the main driver of a car while its insured on someone else's policy is fronting, which is insurance fraud and illegal. Should you crash and the insurance company look into it, they may decide not to pay out, leaving you well and truly in the sh*t. You get done for driving without insurance and then are open to legal action for compensation from someone you might crash into.

It really would be best just to get your own insurance, even if it means getting it on credit or getting a cheap bank loan to pay for it, and work a bit more to pay it off. Once you start building up NCB the added premiums for your accident start to reduce.
I agree.

As an aside, I can't believe how much you younger guys are being asked to pay for insurance! Must be a nightmare.
norbert is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Andy G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 1,790

Member car:

147 GTA

Re: 19 yr old on 147

I have to say I don't know how they afford it? Prices quoted are incredible. But then again 'many' (and I'm not pointing to anyone directly) want the car of their choice from day one, as opposed to waiting a while before it can be afforded.

How much on average is say a std 106 or other small 1.1 litre car to insure for the 'average' 17/18/19 yr old?
Andy G is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 28

Member car:

156 2.5 V6

Re: 19 yr old on 147

Sadly im an Insurance Broker so i know exactly how much of a rip of it is! Thing is going on your mums policy can have its pros and cons...pros being can be slightly cheaper but not by much usually! But as everyone has said you cant build up your NCB.. on this 1300 qte you got did you tell them your mum has a second car?? If you didnt then the price will go up as they will jsut charge you the same as you being the main driver! Insurance companied are well harsh...best people to be honest are Tesco's and or Direct line (same company) Elephant, Admiral or Adrian Flux...but sadly your gonna be looking at a lot..of you want me to give you a quote i will mate.

Steve
Neudegg156 is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
norbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cheshire
Posts: 2,145
Re: 19 yr old on 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neudegg156 View Post
Sadly im an Insurance Broker so i know exactly how much of a rip of it is! Thing is going on your mums policy can have its pros and cons...pros being can be slightly cheaper but not by much usually! But as everyone has said you cant build up your NCB.. on this 1300 qte you got did you tell them your mum has a second car?? If you didnt then the price will go up as they will jsut charge you the same as you being the main driver! Insurance companied are well harsh...best people to be honest are Tesco's and or Direct line (same company) Elephant, Admiral or Adrian Flux...but sadly your gonna be looking at a lot..of you want me to give you a quote i will mate.

Steve

Good advice there I reckon.
norbert is offline  
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 44,739
Re: 19 yr old on 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
I have to say I don't know how they afford it? Prices quoted are incredible. But then again 'many' (and I'm not pointing to anyone directly) want the car of their choice from day one, as opposed to waiting a while before it can be afforded.

How much on average is say a std 106 or other small 1.1 litre car to insure for the 'average' 17/18/19 yr old?
My brother passed his aged 17, bought first car 6 months later at 18. Fully comp on a 1.2 Corsa worth about £2500 cost him £1250, thats with a £600 excess.

I passed at 17 but didn't have my own car till aged 19, I bought a 4 year old Mazda 323F 1.5 and mine cost me £1250 as well for full comp. Chopped it in a year later for the Alfa, with 1 years NCB it cost - guess what - £1250 for 3PF&T. Next year with 2 years NCB its down to £450, so happy with that.

I think for the first few years they just charge you £1250 regardless
Pud237 is offline  
(Post Link) post #25 of 46 Old 17-10-07 Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 12

Member car:

147

Re: 19 yr old on 147

as for if i cnt afford the insurance can i afford the car, well the car was £7000 and they are plenty people i know who go out and spend the simllar amounts of money on corsa's and cars like that, so i thought why not have a nice car.

the insurance in my name is about £4000 which is a hell of alot more than £1100 fair enough it might work out better in the long run but £3000 is a great deal of money more for only a year to have the car in my name.

my mam and dad have that,multi car thing with the two family cars on that with my dad main driver so my mam isnt the main driver on any car. fair enough its my car but she uses it aswell if its first on the drive or watever. i think it would be pretty hard for the insurance companys to prove that i used the car more.
joe88 is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Vendors > Insurance Section > Adrian Flux Insurance

Tags
147

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome