Elephant does it for me - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Adrian Flux Insurance Looking for advice on insuring your Alfa Romeo?
Click here for an online quotation

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 08-10-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Surrey
Elephant does it for me

I drive a 156 (1998, 2 litre, SP2).

My insurance is fully comp / protected NCB / legal expenses covered .

Last year's premium £235 (NIG via Kwik Fit)

I've just been quoted £420 !!! (NIG) or £320 (Chaucer) via Kwik Fit, so tried confused.com and ended up paying £192 (Elephant).

I'm not even trying to understand the logic in this (assuming there is any logic), but it sure proves that it pays to shop around !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Re: Elephant does it for me

I have put various options in for car insurance, and it would appear regardless of the mileage you travel, if you do less than 6000 a year, put in 6000 - this is cheapest.

If you car is less than £3000 in value, put in say, £2800 - this is also (very strangely) cheaper than putting in for example, £500 vehicle value. I do not understand, but if you do not believe me, try it on any insurance website.

If you do need a claim, I can't think it is a bad thing making sure you are overly covered, but if you put in too little on either count, they will refuse to pay.
AO Member

Elephant did it for me too, on a 2.5 v6 Sportswagon with only 1 year no claim. Miles cheaper.
AO Member

Member car:

Brera 2.4JTDm

Elephant were by far and away cheapest with my Brera. Ironically I was previously with Admiral (same company as Elephant) who wanted an additional £200 per year over what I was paying for my 2.5Tdi allroad. Elephant were £40 cheaper than what I was paying for the allroad (with a better policy).

It seemed a bit daft sending the proof of no-claims back to the same address that sent it out, but that's bureaucracy for you.
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire

I must confess I'd never heard of Elephant before, but Diamond, my current insurer is (IIRC) also part of the Admiral group, and I always thought they were pretty good (I haven't used anyone else since passing my test 4 years ago, since they have been very good for quoting for business use and high mileage).

I'll definitely give Elephant a shot when their quoting system comes back online tomorrow - many thanks for the tip guys
AO Member

I tried Elephant and it wasn't the cheapest for me.

I went on confused.com and the cheapest was someone i had never heard of, so I went with the second cheapest which was esure, who I already have buildings and contents insurance with.

Insured my 51 plate 2.0TS Veloce 156, insured in my wifes name with me as a named driver (it just worked out that way cause I'm the main driver on our other car), aged 44 and 41, fully comp with protected No claims, 6000 - 7000 miles per year, only £100 excess ............. £238.23 for the year. You can pay with direct debit monthly instalements as well. Bargain
AO Silver Member

County: Cambridgeshire

Elephant will hike your premium at renewal.. You get a new customer quote from Admiral and they will be a lot cheaper... Unfortunately insurance companies measure success by new premium income rather than retaining existing customers.

I used to swap between Admiral and Elephant each year to take advantage of this but after some pretty shoddy dealing with Admiral's off shore call centre I'll be picking someone who might be a bit more expensive but actually knows what they are talking about.
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
Elephant will hike your premium at renewal.. You get a new customer quote from Admiral and they will be a lot cheaper... Unfortunately insurance companies measure success by new premium income rather than retaining existing customers.

I used to swap between Admiral and Elephant each year to take advantage of this but after some pretty shoddy dealing with Admiral's off shore call centre I'll be picking someone who might be a bit more expensive but actually knows what they are talking about.
Same here. Went to Adrian Flux after Elephant quoted me £510 on a renewal. Adrian Flux gave £310
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire

Elephant have just quoted me far cheaper than my current insurer Tesco. Thing is Tesco were faultless when my wife had her car written off, and I'm worried what Elephant would be like if the worst happened. Has anyone had to make a claim with them, and what were they like?
AO Silver Member

County: Glasgow

Elephant are fantastic.

I had an accident. I told them what happened. Accepted liability and they paid out £1700-exsess without any "inconvenient questions" like what speed where you doing? Where you driving like a total plank?

I then said the car as worth £2000 since I had improved it mechanically. So they gave me another £300.

You have to watch the excess though. You have a voluntary excess which is set by you and an involuntary excess which is set by you age the time of day and phase of the moon.
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire

Thanks for that Looks like I'm going with Elephant then!
AO Platinum Member

County: Newport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post

Common practice to offer an enticing deal to get youin and then hike the premiums the following year.

Swiftcover were the cheapest for me by quite a distance.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Vendors > Insurance Section > Adrian Flux Insurance

Tags
elephant

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page