Aaaargh Insurance Sucks ! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Adrian Flux Insurance Looking for advice on insuring your Alfa Romeo?
Click here for an online quotation

(Post Link) post #1 of 22 Old 26-06-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Madness Aaaargh Insurance Sucks !

So I paid for a full years fully comp insurance around 4 weeks ago then crashed my alfa which has been written off .

The insurers are saying that as I am making a claim for the car the policy will be cancelled and I get no refund which means I will have to fork out again to insure my next car.

I am guessing that this is correct as insurance companies are super scum etc but this just seems a tad unfair dont you think (or not) ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Re: Aaaargh Insurance Sucks !

It is of course unfair but i do recall seeing it in my policy too.

Standard-ish with insurance, claimed on my mobile policy as my phone got ran over and that was then immediately cancelled by the provider as well.

Do some research on why you should get a good payout and you may recoup some of the insurance money. i.e. get comparable vehicle ads etc to prove yours is worth more than they initially offer....

Glenn
AO Member

Sounds right, but still don't like it.

Hard luck
AO Silver Member

County: -

That doesn't seem right. Why can't you transfer the policy to your new car? You paid for a years insurance.

They make up the rules as they go along. The whole industry needs cleaning up. For example why can you protect a no claims discount?
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex

Did you know that No Claims Discounts aren't actually a legal obligation by any insurance company.

It's just a giant scheme to pick and choose drivers with no liability. Just a pure marketing tactic.

Its all [email protected]

Stand your ground Man... You'll get them.
AO Member

The same thing happened to me....... and about the same time. Only good thing is that the drunk postman wrote off my Honda Accord Type S and the cash the insurance maggots gace me has paid for most of my Alfa GT. Therefor the joke is on them. Was it Admiral because they are the ones who stiffed me. They dont give refunds but if you complain they will transfer the rest of the year onto a new policy. Good luck.
AO Member

I've had insurance quotes ranging from £700 to £1800 with 5 years 'protected' NCB on an Alfa GT (secondhand)! Can you believe it!? No onvictions, not even any points and no accidents for ages!!
AO Silver Member

County: Louth

Member car:

33 16v

Insurance companies really can do as the please

My insurance company just told me that they WONT insure me on a 1.8 TS purely because they dont cover the any of the TS model for people under 26?

Change the letters to JTD though and they're all talk
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

Who are you with Bobulos? My brother crashed his Corsa not so long ago, 9 months into his policy. After they paid him out (he was fully comp) he bought an old Volvo and transferred the policy to that, and they refunded him around £120 (£40 a month for remainder of policy) as apparently that car has a reduced crash risk associated with it, and also a lower value (he is still on fully comp)

But they warned him that next year, with a claim on his record, his premiums will likely be higher.

Bobulos, surely as you only had 4 weeks cover, you should only pay for 4 weeks cover. You should be insured for a year as that is what you paid for, regardless or not if you claim.

The whole industry does need shaking up, it is a joke that it is compulsory to have car insurance to drive when you have no alternative to go to a private company who are making a profit for their shareholders on something you have no choice over buying. I can understand why people lie to their insurers to get their policy down, the whole system is too unfair, especially to younger drivers
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post

The whole industry does need shaking up, it is a joke that it is compulsory to have car insurance to drive when you have no alternative to go to a private company who are making a profit for their shareholders on something you have no choice over buying. I can understand why people lie to their insurers to get their policy down, the whole system is too unfair, especially to younger drivers
Well Put.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffyduff View Post
Insurance companies really can do as the please

My insurance company just told me that they WONT insure me on a 1.8 TS purely because they dont cover the any of the TS model for people under 26?

Change the letters to JTD though and they're all talk
Well thats BS. I'm 22 driving a 156 1.8 Twin Spark Veloce! And its the phase 2 one from 2002.

I'm with admiral btw.
AO Gold Member

County: Kent

I have had both experiences happen to me. When I was insured through Chris Knott many moons ago, my 33 was written off and my policy cancelled so I had to pay for a new policy on my new car.
Through Privilege this year, my 166 was written off, paid out, brought another 166 and the details of my excisting policy were updated to the new car at no cost.
AlfaLincs

If you deal direct with insurers you MAY get a cheaper quote, but only if you fit the risk profile the insurers specify for themselves, and you are normally only dealing with call centre fodder, so you are never speaking to anyone with any knowledge or discretion so you can be hitting your head against a brick wall to get any sense.

Then there are the brokers. If you get a good one they usually talk more sense, but you may have to pay a bit more.

Generally the bigger traditional companies that charge more behave better, but not always.

AlfaLincs

AO Member

"I can understand why people lie to their insurers to get their policy down, the whole system is too unfair, especially to younger drivers"

as my da always warned me thats exactly what they want, it wont take more than a few hours of investigation after a claim to find out your fibs and then they have gained your premuim and havent even had to insure you at all so the company wins. always tell them... now i must let them know about the few wee changes ive made lol
Club Member
Membro Premio

My mates got 5 points on his license, but his insurance company never asked him if he had any points - should he have to tell them?
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
My mates got 5 points on his license, but his insurance company never asked him if he had any points - should he have to tell them?
Yes, it's a motoring conviction!
AO Traders

County: Norfolk

Member car:

Alfa

Quote:

Hello,
Yes your friend has to disclose his points else it could make his policy null and void it is a requirement when purchasing insurance that you disclose all information needed.

Dan.
AO Platinum Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

i had fully comp on my golf! wrote it off 2 1/2 months later (my fault) my insurers paid me almost what i paid for it and kept the policy going afterwards! didnt tell me tho, so i bought a second policy aftwards. then they asked why two policies?? told em, they cancelled the new one put new car on existing policy! sorted! Tesco...
AO Silver Member

County: Cambridgeshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Clark View Post
Hello,
Yes your friend has to disclose his points else it could make his policy null and void it is a requirement when purchasing insurance that you disclose all information needed.

Dan.
No it wouldn't if the insurer had failed to ask for that information and the point of offering the contract. The onus would be on the insurer to obtain the appropriate information to assess the risk and offer the policy. It is not your responsibility to volunteer information you aren't asked, only to answer truthfully what you are asked. Obviously proving the insurer didn't ask might be the hard bit.

If the insurance was issued and the points were subsequently "awarded" then most insurance policies require you to notify the insurer of material changes that would impact the risk. Material changes are changes to any of the information you orginally provided when you bought the policy (i.e. address, class of use, convictions etc.) Failure to disclose such a material change would enable the insurance company to void the policy.

Last edited by Monty; 13-07-07 at 15:06.
Club Member
Membro Premio

My mate did everything for the insurance on the phone, they never asked him if he had any points, although I'd imagine they would have asked him if he had convictions.. They CAN'T have not asked him this though, can they?

Anyway, he's just chopped his MG ZR for a Beemer 330D and gone from 3rd party to fully comp with a new insurer (old one wouldn't touch 20 year old in a 200bhp Beemer), and so has declared his points to his new insurer so if he does prang it at least they'll pay out.
AO Traders

County: Norfolk

Member car:

Alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
No it wouldn't if the insurer had failed to ask for that information and the point of offering the contract. The onus would be on the insurer to obtain the appropriate information to assess the risk and offer the policy. It is not your responsibility to volunteer information you aren't asked, only to answer truthfully what you are asked. Obviously proving the insurer didn't ask might be the hard bit.

If the insurance was issued and the points were subsequently "awarded" then most insurance policies require you to notify the insurer of material changes that would impact the risk. Material changes are changes to any of the information you orginally provided when you bought the policy (i.e. address, class of use, convictions etc.) Failure to disclose such a material change would enable the insurance company to void the policy.
Hi,
the onus is on the person requesting insurance to confirm everything about themselves and their car when requesting a quote yes the person taking the quote should ask all these details but something that important really must be mentioned not just by the insurance company but also the person wanting insurance.
Dan.
AO Silver Member

County: Cambridgeshire

Dan, I agree that morally you should but legally the onus would be on the insurer to gather the right information and not for a 'layman' to second guess what an insurer would want to know (even if the layman could be reasonably expected to know that the insurer should be asking).

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Vendors > Insurance Section > Adrian Flux Insurance

Tags
aaaargh , insurance , sucks

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page