Why not choose the cheapest? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Adrian Flux Insurance Looking for advice on insuring your Alfa Romeo?
Click here for an online quotation

(Post Link) post #1 of 18 Old 12-06-07 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Why not choose the cheapest?

I have just got my renewal quote through, and after shopping around I have found I can save almost 100. However, there are a couple of very closely priced quotes (with similar excesses) - Esure and Sainsburys (!). Halifax and MoreThan weren't far off, either.

Apart from choosing on price, I am wondering whether I ought to consider other advice this time around. For example, last year my insurer charged me 25 to cover the courtesy car every time my car was in the garage for more than a day (yes - it's rubbish, the garage didn't provide insurance ).

I'd be grateful for any advice on choosing, perhaps based on good/bad experiences.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: West Yorkshire
Re: Why not choose the cheapest?

The best quote I got was e-car online insurance

I also recieved free breakdown cover, but then it didn't matter because I bought a new GT with AA cover

Last edited by Brickman; 12-06-07 at 10:23.
Dibby

Having never made a claim on my insurance in the 10 years I've been on the road, I go for the cheapest every time. Extras are worthless to me.

AO Platinum Member

County: herts

On going saga this, that's why we stay with them.
(Post Link) post #5 of 18 Old 12-06-07 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickman View Post
The best quote I got was e-car online insurance
Thanks for the tip Brickman, but I found that e-car are also about 100 more expensive than the best quotes I found on confused.com
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaredthegreat View Post
Thanks for the tip Brickman, but I found that e-car are also about 100 more expensive than the best quotes I found on confused.com
The problem I've found using confused, car supermarket etc.. is that when you get redirected to the site, & go through the quote, it ends up being a lot more than the advertised amount from confused etc.. which leaves me confused
AO Traders

County: Norfolk

Member car:

Alfa

Quote:
I have just got my renewal quote through, and after shopping around I have found I can save almost 100. However, there are a couple of very closely priced quotes (with similar excesses) - Esure and Sainsburys (!). Halifax and MoreThan weren't far off, either.

Apart from choosing on price, I am wondering whether I ought to consider other advice this time around. For example, last year my insurer charged me 25 to cover the courtesy car every time my car was in the garage for more than a day (yes - it's rubbish, the garage didn't provide insurance ).

I'd be grateful for any advice on choosing, perhaps based on good/bad experiences.

Cheers!
Hi,
It's always a good idea before you start ringing round for your renewals to make a list of all the stuff you would like to get from your policy within reason and how much you are prepared to pay extra for them and always make sure that when you ring round the other places you mention to them the best price you have had with the excess and anything else they have put on the quote like free legal cover etc this should help when deciding which one to go for.
Dan
AO Member

Member car:

alfa romeo 156

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/insurance/

get a quote from here its usually the price you pay
(Post Link) post #9 of 18 Old 13-06-07 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickman View Post
The problem I've found using confused, car supermarket etc.. is that when you get redirected to the site, & go through the quote, it ends up being a lot more than the advertised amount from confused etc.. which leaves me confused
I have now rung the top two and, after giving them the registration number of the vehicle, both revised their quotes lower than that shown on confused.com.
Dibby

Confused, money supermarket, etc all these websites take a cut from the price you pay so I wonder how they can offer such good deals?

If you've got more than 4 years no claims, companies like Privilege & Churchill are pretty good because they guarantee to beat your renewal quote - play them off against each other for a few years and you could bring your premiums right down.

AO Traders

Member car:

Alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dibby View Post
Confused, money supermarket, etc all these websites take a cut from the price you pay so I wonder how they can offer such good deals?

If you've got more than 4 years no claims, companies like Privilege & Churchill are pretty good because they guarantee to beat your renewal quote - play them off against each other for a few years and you could bring your premiums right down.

And dont forget to try adrian flux for a quote as well!!
(Post Link) post #12 of 18 Old 14-06-07 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Clark View Post
And dont forget to try adrian flux for a quote as well!!
Hi Dan, is there a professional interest here that needs to be declared?

Actually I did just try Adrian Flux. In ten minutes I had 26 quotes from confused.com, after 21mins on the phone to Adrian Flux I still do not have a quote. They first said that they have no record of an Alfa Romeo Brera and asked me what it says on the vehicele log book. Then they insisted my car wasn't produced until 2007, kept asking me if its right-hand drive (I think I'd have noticed), or an import. Only after they checked their Parkers guide did they believe me. They then said they'd have to speak to the underwriters and would call me back.

Not very impressive!
(Post Link) post #13 of 18 Old 14-06-07 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Confused, money supermarket, etc all these websites take a cut from the price you pay so I wonder how they can offer such good deals.
That's easy to explain. Selling through any channel costs money. the alternative to paying confused to run your quotes is that you need to pay staff to man the phones to give you a quote.

If you also consider that they are sometimes not even busy and at other times you lose business as people on hold give up. You begin to get the idea.

So, on confused.com in ten minutes I got 26 quotes. That is a very efficient system for customers and brokers alike. Confused.com's commission is theerefore probably set to make them cheaper than employing the staff....

Or something like that! Enough of my pub-eceonomics lesson. Makes sense how?
Dibby

But the individual insurance firms have people on the phone as well as selling through price comparison sites, still don't get it. I think it's the advertising that makes them look all impartial and unbiased when they're obivously set up to sell whatever gives them the best returns that makes me doubt they're such a good deal.

Out of interest, what's the price difference from the comparison websites and ringing the insurance companies up directly?

(Post Link) post #15 of 18 Old 14-06-07 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
But the individual insurance firms have people on the phone as well as selling through price comparison sites, still don't get it. I think it's the advertising that makes them look all impartial and unbiased when they're obivously set up to sell whatever gives them the best returns that makes me doubt they're such a good deal.
It's just a better (cheaper) way of working for everybody I think. All borkers get their commision from the products they sell, confused and the like aren;t new in this respect.

Quote:
Out of interest, what's the price difference from the comparison websites and ringing the insurance companies up directly?
you have to call the insurance company to actually buy anyway. Confused gives you a ref code so that all the details of the quote can be located without having to go through them again.
AO Traders

Member car:

Alfa

Quote:
Hi Dan, is there a professional interest here that needs to be declared?

Actually I did just try Adrian Flux. In ten minutes I had 26 quotes from confused.com, after 21mins on the phone to Adrian Flux I still do not have a quote. They first said that they have no record of an Alfa Romeo Brera and asked me what it says on the vehicele log book. Then they insisted my car wasn't produced until 2007, kept asking me if its right-hand drive (I think I'd have noticed), or an import. Only after they checked their Parkers guide did they believe me. They then said they'd have to speak to the underwriters and would call me back.

Not very impressive!
just a suggestion that they might be of some use for quotes.
(Post Link) post #17 of 18 Old 14-06-07 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Clark View Post
just a suggestion that they might be of some use for quotes.
Fair enough. They never rang me back though!!!!
AO Silver Member

I went with Tesco insurance a couple of years ago, purely because they were cheap. Six months into the policy a woman pulled straight out infront of my wife, wiping out our Astra
My wife was rather shaken, and I had to come from work to sort out the aftermath. So I had the "hassle" of dealing with the claim.
Tesco's could not have been any better, totally faultless service.
The car was recovered in less than 15 mins!
We didn't have to pay our excess and claim it back, as they said the accident clearly wasn't our fault. When the third party claimed my wife caused the accident by speeding, Tesco responded with "see you in court then" The third party backed down. We recieved compensation for the phone calls and inconvinience.
The whole claim was sorted and we had recieved the money in less than three weeks.
At renewel time I could have saved a few quid, and gone elsewhere. After service like that though I stuck with them.
My only other claim was through Direct Line, total nightmare I was without my car for five months! It took them four months to decide whether they were repairing or writing it off! Never again!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Vendors > Insurance Section > Adrian Flux Insurance

Tags
cheapest , choose

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page