Do leather seats and sunroof consist MODIFICATIONS? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Adrian Flux Insurance Looking for advice on insuring your Alfa Romeo?
Click here for an online quotation

(Post Link) post #1 of 20 Old 27-01-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Do leather seats and sunroof consist MODIFICATIONS?

Hello there!

Its time for renewal, and I would like someone to clarify this:
when I got insurance last year on my car, I was told that I had to declare the leather heated seats and sunroof as modifications (interior and exterior). The reasoning was that although not aftermarket, they were items of optional equipment.

However, having a discussion with a friend and after trying to find a definition of what consists a modification, I read on the internet that it includes everything fitted on a car after being manufactured.

So, since my leather seats and sunroof were optional but factory fitted, they should NOT be considered as modifications, and I should not mention them. Do you agree with this? or am I wrong?

If, say, I dont declare them and later make a claim, would they invalid my insurance based on this?

Many many thanks!
Solomon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 25
County: Shropshire
Re: Do leather seats and sunroof consist MODIFICATIONS?

IMO they don't class as modifications as they were part of the manufactured spec.

If a dealer does a check against your VIN number they should show up as part of the original equipment spec so therefore they ought not to be classified as Modifications! I don't see any reason why an insurance company would have a problem with this.

The same could be said for uprated alloy wheel options that are factory fitted! I guess the insurance companies want to make an accurate assessment of risk and some of these features make the car a more attractive proposition for thieves. Therefore, it's not just performance related modifications that they are interested in.
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

My wife had an Astra SRi previously, factory fitted with the sport pack (front and rear valances, different side skirts, a twin oval exhaust and bigger wheels). All insurers except direct line took the car as standard as that was the way it left the factory
wrinx

Sounds like an excuse to bump up the premium to me...if it left the factory like that it's standard

wrinx

Nev

Is this a joke!?

Rip-off Britain rears it's ugly head again.

If it's renewel time, I'd avoid any company
who spouted such BS!

Founder of AO

County: Essex

Member car:

Maserati GTS

Isnt the saying... "Has the vehicle had any aftermarket modifications?"

They are not aftermarket! There is your answer
(Post Link) post #7 of 20 Old 03-02-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thank you for your replies! Much appreciated, and yes you validated my original thoughts. Although looks like I was taken for a ride last time....but never again!

Thank you guys!
Cheers,
Solomon
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaowner
Isnt the saying... "Has the vehicle had any aftermarket modifications?"
Not necessarily.

If you try Confused.com, as an example, the basic question asked is "Any modifications?" If you click on the help bubble for a explanation the text that they use to expand on this is as follows:

"What are modifications?
These are any changes or factory-fitted optional extras which have been added to the vehicle and is not part of the standard vehicle specification. This would include such things as: alloy wheels / spoilers / engine modifications."
Source: Confused.com.

Therefore, by definition, if the standard vehicle spec comes with cloth seats and you opted for leather, then this would be defined as a modification and you would need to declare it!

Outrageous.

What a ridiculous situation. How often does anyone buy a 'standard' spec car? In fact how often does a dealer sell a standard spec car without throwing in some extras! Surely most people 'opt' for something else, whether it is heated seats and larger alloys or just mudflaps!

Clearly they are trying to determine whether the car is more attractive to thieves as a consequence of the change. But including items and changes that happened in the factory is ridiculous. All these things should be shown against your VIN number and, while not necessarily part of the 'standard' spec, they should therefore be deemed part of the 'original' specification.
Nev

If it doesn't come with a tank of fuel,
does that mean you mod your car everytime
you fill up too?

How about using better oil than that specified?

This is the thin edge of the wedge:
Fight it by not renewing with these rip-off merchants!

AO Platinum Member

County: Durham

Member car:

What about installing a magic tree air freshener or putting in a child seat, if these count as modifications, then i am knackered ....
wrinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Probusterrace
"What are modifications?
These are any changes or factory-fitted optional extras which have been added to the vehicle and is not part of the standard vehicle specification. This would include such things as: alloy wheels / spoilers / engine modifications."
Source: Confused.com.
So that would include any model other than poverty spec?

wrinx

AO Silver Member

Nope - my brera SV comes with 17" alloys and leather and skyview as standard spec, if I were to add 18" Alloys that is then a modification.

Simes.
AO Member

Member car:

Brera 3.2 Q4 SV

I'd heard about such things, so when I changed my policy with More Than, over to the new Brera I rang-up and specifically asked them if they needed to know of any options. They told me that as long as they were part of the original, built car as it left the factory then it didn't matter - as that was covered by the total declared value of the car.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfarmus
I'd heard about such things, so when I changed my policy with More Than, over to the new Brera I rang-up and specifically asked them if they needed to know of any options. They told me that as long as they were part of the original, built car as it left the factory then it didn't matter - as that was covered by the total declared value of the car.
IMO that's exactly as it should be.

However, just out of interest , I've tried a couple of things out in the past on some of the on-line quoting systems. A coupleo fthem increased the premium disproportionately when I added alloys to the spec. Some of them actually refused to quote on-line.

Moral of the story, as far as I'm concerned, is to call the company (brokers/agent etc) and speak to a human being rather than use the pre-determined inflexible drop-down options on-line. If they still increase the premium because of factory fitted leather/alloys etc then go somewhere else. There's plenty of choice around.
AO Platinum Member

Why don't we all say "YES" to the question and then tell them we have an aftermarket sticky-vinyl tax disc holder, or some such trivial item. As soon as it gets too much administrative headache, they'll drop this stupidity.

Ralf S.

P.S Better not use "an aftermarket cylinder gasket" or "different make brake pads" or they'll class them as "uprated engine" and "performance brakes" respectively and put your premium up.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Probusterrace View Post
I guess the insurance companies want to make an accurate assessment of risk and some of these features make the car a more attractive proposition for thieves. Therefore, it's not just performance related modifications that they are interested in.

Wrong.

I think we are not being cynical enough

Insurance companies are only in the market for one thing - to make money (particularly for the shareholders). They are not in business because they feel like being kind and offering a public service.

The reason they ask the 'modification' question is because when the ordinary motorist who is trusting of many of the large organisations answers the question, they will answer in the reasonable way that everyone seems to agree with. i.e. if it left the factory that way, it is standard. You must realise that insurance companies have access to the same data as the dealer network in terms of VIN number checking for model-specific details, so shouldn't really need to ask this question.

SO, the reason they ask the question is because they know that most people will answer 'no' thinking that their standard car with optional CD upgrade from cassette is not 'modified' (we all know what a modified chav-mobile looks like, right?). Having answered 'no' previously, at the time of a claim an insurance company has the perfect excuse to exploit a loop-hole in the law not to pay out to the insured (i.e. YOU) because you have not been honest with you cars details.

This is all in the interests of making money, regardless of what is reasonable. Should the insurance company refuse to pay out, it is then up to you to take them to court - a joyful process I am sure.

One of the previous members comments are correct - if we find an insurance company that behaves in this morally unethical way, we should refuse to do business, and try to warn as many others as possible about the true service they are (not) providing.

Sorry if this is a bit of a rant.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgrosvenor View Post
Wrong.

I think we are not being cynical enough

Insurance companies are only in the market for one thing - to make money (particularly for the shareholders). They are not in business because they feel like being kind and offering a public service.
Exactly my point. Except that rather than making efforts to avoid having to payout (hence saving money), they are making more money in the first place by hiking up the initial premium!
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf S. View Post
Why don't we all say "YES" to the question and then tell them we have an aftermarket sticky-vinyl tax disc holder, or some such trivial item.
Because if we do it will cost us money
AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

I've been asked this by insurance companies before and it struck me that as all my cars are second-hand, I don't have a clue what was an option and what was standard.
robf781

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgers_nadgers View Post
I've been asked this by insurance companies before and it struck me that as all my cars are second-hand, I don't have a clue what was an option and what was standard.
Fair point, Although this would only apply to genuine looking parts that can be optional. I've heard of people going down this route for engine mods too claiming that they had no idea the engine was modified etc. but in my opinion it's too risky. Imagine if you ran over someone famous and the insurance refused to pay out on these grounds. You be up the proverbial without a paddle.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Vendors > Insurance Section > Adrian Flux Insurance

Tags
consist , leather , modifications , seats , sunroof

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page