so - Alfa 4c; is it insurable? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Adrian Flux Insurance Looking for advice on insuring your Alfa Romeo?
Click here for an online quotation

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 11-03-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Bedfordshire
so - Alfa 4c; is it insurable?

There have been comments in the 4C thread that the car will be outrageously expensive to insure, based on:
  1. performance (4.5s to 62mph, 1.1g cornering, 2.25 braking)
  2. theft risk?
  3. carbon tub (repairable?)
  4. laminated body (repairs, fragility?)
  5. paints (matt white option?)
  6. alloys (unique?)

So, what ball park are talking here? Group 50?

A 50 year old, 7+ years no claims, no speeding points, off road parking, rural England and IAMs passes pays 400 odd for a GQV, how much more for the 4C ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: Kent
I don't understand what you are expecting

What is 'outrageously expensive'?

It will be a hefty sum that's for sure but aren't all small volume high performance sports coupes?
AO Member

County: Lincolnshire
If I can be insured on a maser granturismo S for less than 2K, then it wont be that bad.
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

MR2 Mk1.5

Insurance is more about you than the vehicle, although of course the vehicle does make a difference.

Nobody can answer your question though, your definition of expensive may not be the same as the next person.
(Post Link) post #5 of 12 Old 20-03-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Bedfordshire
Understood - hence the thumbnail of the typical customer below.

Apologies for the vagueness of the word "outrageous". Could have been more specific and said "over 1,500 a year for the 'typical customer' below"

The real question was "does the choice of a design and manufacture in carbon fibre really increase the costs of insurance", which can be left to later to answer

I'll get quotes from 6 sources and see what comes out of that, but not until the vehicle is fully typed and released for the UK
RSK

I think you're right that it's the repairability (sic) which is likley to be the biggest contributor towards insurance cost/underwriter nervousness.

Sometimes though one can be pleasantly surprised by what's on offer, particularly from the supplying manufacturer. I ended up paying less than 400 to insure my C63 via MBs own AMG scheme and I'm ten years younger than you, was expecting 1k at least.

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyinsurance View Post
Insurance is more about you than the vehicle, although of course the vehicle does make a difference.

Nobody can answer your question though, your definition of expensive may not be the same as the next person.
That seems a very political answer. You are saying insurance is based on the person and the vehicle.

What we are trying to get at is davidjwbailey' s example of 50yo with 7yrs + no claims etc etc. Is it going to cost Rover 100 money or Fezza Enzo money???
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

MR2 Mk1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_K View Post
That seems a very political answer. You are saying insurance is based on the person and the vehicle.

What we are trying to get at is davidjwbailey' s example of 50yo with 7yrs + no claims etc etc. Is it going to cost Rover 100 money or Fezza Enzo money???
I cannot answer that question specifically, there will be no 'set price' , insurance quotations will vary from vehicle to vehicle, as will level of insurance cover. I am not looking to fob anyone off by the non-answer.

I really wouldn't worry too much about the vehicle uninsurable though.

Kind regards

Ollie
Sky Insurance

Tel: 01707 642552
AO Member

County: Cambridgeshire
I pay 1900 to insure me on my Spider, so like someone said, it depends what is expensive/affordable for you!
AO Member

County: Leicestershire

Member car:

Panda 100hp

I imagine it'd be no different from insuring any other mid-range sportscar, be it a Porsche, M3 or whatever.

At the end of the day, if you're in the fortunate position to be pondering one of these beauties, then insurance shouldn't be that much of a burden, haha!
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazzyG View Post
I imagine it'd be no different from insuring any other mid-range sportscar, be it a Porsche, M3 or whatever.

At the end of the day, if you're in the fortunate position to be pondering one of these beauties, then insurance shouldn't be that much of a burden, haha!
Whatever you spend on cars and 40-50k is not really all that much, you are concerned about insurance costs. Unless you have obscene amounts of money I would wager you are still bothered by running costs.
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcQV View Post
Whatever you spend on cars and 40-50k is not really all that much, you are concerned about insurance costs. Unless you have obscene amounts of money I would wager you are still bothered by running costs.
That's certainly relative... I guess it depends what you'd spend on a house (or other priorities) as well (although in years gone by they were almost guaranteed to increase in value where most cars decrease). To me, 40-50k is a lot of money to spend on a car but then I generally prefer to buy outright, not on finance and would do the same with a house if I could.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Vendors > Insurance Section > Adrian Flux Insurance

Tags
alfa , insurable

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page