Pro Rata refund? - what a joke! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Adrian Flux Insurance Looking for advice on insuring your Alfa Romeo?
Click here for an online quotation

(Post Link) post #1 of 20 Old 02-02-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Lancashire

Member car:

GTV v6

Pro Rata refund? - what a joke!

I sold one of my cars last week which is insured by Adrian Flux (as is my other one) I'm currently 6 weeks into my insurance with them on this policy for a 350z

I called them up to cancel and was told I would receive a pro rata refund on my remaining time with them. This is where is gets funny (not)

The total insurance for the year is about £760 which included my admin fees, monthly credit agreenment set up blah de blah and I've already paid £180 towards this with 2 x payments by direct debit.

So how much refund will I get?...well I actually have to pay an extra 180 quid to cancel my policy for a grand total of £360 for 6 weeks insurance lol. If you work that out for my time insured you would think my policy would have cost me over £3k

Pro Rata? I think not!! I'm absolutely disgusted with this as I've been insuring my cars with them on various policies for years now. Does this seem right, fair? I was on the phone with them for 40 minutes today trying to sort it out and in the end they said they would knock £25 off what I had to pay to cancel - oh geez thnx AF

Be warned.

Last edited by MikeyJ; 02-02-13 at 16:36.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Greedy *******s
AO Member

County: Essex

Member car:

A Tiny Abarth

Check the terms of your contract carefully for any cancellation fees, and remember you can always challenge them as unfair contract terms .

If you mention you're planning on submitting a complaint to the FSA for unfair cancellation charges I reckon they'll probably roll over.
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
Brokers......... nuff said.
crazycarb

My wife is in a similar situation with a different insurance co. I've told her to cancel the direct debit and offer them a reasonable cancellation fee. If they are unhappy with that, suggest they place it with the small claims court. We have no reason to need to have a clean "credit file" (the thing everybody tries to convince you of) and are happy to call their bluff. I will not tolerate greed. We'll take our chances in the small claims court...if it comes to that!

AO Member

County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

GTV 2.0 TS

Not Happy Adrian Flux Insurance Refund

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyJ View Post
Adrian Flux ........Be warned.
Definitely Cancel The Direct Debit So no more money goes out of your account. I would then inform them that you have cancelled the DD and ask them for the their complaints procedure. Write your letter of complaint to them with the figures that you have worked out as "fair" and what you will be willing to pay, if anything? Let them know that if you are not satisfied with their reply, you will take it to the FSA and they should provide the FSA contact details. Mention that you are an "ALFA club Member" and you will be "Expressing The Unfair Refund" to the club members and the unfair treatment you believe you have received.

I know with The company I have taken out my GTV insurance with, it is repaid "Pro rata", but they also told me that there would be a % reduction as the policy time went on and a £70 cancellation fee on top!

Let us know how they deal with your case and if you get a satisfactory conclusion?
AO Traders

County: Norfolk

Member car:

Alfa

Hi

If you would like me to get this looked into for you please feel free to PM me your reference number.

Thanks

Dan
(Post Link) post #8 of 20 Old 05-02-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV v6

Hi Dan it's: Customer reference: 122013515
(Post Link) post #9 of 20 Old 07-02-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV v6

The latest - They updated my status and sent me a settlement offer of approx £60 which I was going to pay but and then they sent me another mail the same day saying they had made a mistake and that I was going to have to pay over £150 again.....

I contacted them again today to tell them they do not have permission to charge my CC for this which they have threatened to do. I'm expecting a call back from them tomorrow and if the situation isn't resolved I'm going to fight it in the small claims court as I feel that despite their small print and hidden fees (which are not itemised at the time of the insurance start) I feel that charging over £360 for 6 weeks cover on a total policy of £760 is not reasonable and in no way pro rata which they falsely claim.

BTW Dan you never did contact me...
crazycarb

Well, we were going to go with Adrian Flux, but it looks like their pretty disreputable. Not now, and thanks for the warning.

AO Traders

Member car:

Alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyJ View Post
Hi Dan it's: Customer reference: 122013515
Hi,
I'll take look at it for you tomorrow when I'm back in the office.
Regards,
Dan.
AO Silver Member

County: Stirling

Member car:

Mito 1.6JTDM

I'm with Adrian Flux and have changed my car several times during my policy and have had no problems what so ever. They are not the cheapest but they have always done everything I have asked of them and been very helpfull.
(Post Link) post #13 of 20 Old 08-02-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV v6

I got a call back from them today with an offer that was much more reasonable. The girl I spoke to (one of the managers I believe)was very helpful so no complaints there at all. It's a shame that this had to escalate for a couple of weeks until something was sorted out but to be fair to them, AF came through in the end.

I still have my other car insured by them BTW.
AO Silver Member

County: Warwickshire
They didn't come through at all. Don't forgive them just like that. All this has done the next person in your position no good at all unless your case has created a change in their system.
Fat chance.
(Post Link) post #15 of 20 Old 08-02-13 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GTV v6

Well the more people who bring things to their attention the more likely they will be to change their system. There's really not much anyone can do apart from alert other potential clients to their practices.
AO Silver Member

Just changed my 159ti 1.9 with modificas up to 200bhp from Flux last year at £716 to spending a morning on ringing round and getting £500 with Chris Knott.

Also flux wanted £130 extra for paying monthly but Knotts are only charging£40 extra. Well chuffed!!!!!!!!
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Personally I stopped paying monthly when the insurers just started using credit companies to secure the debt
AO Gold Member

County: -
I think AF was reported on autocar for unreasonable cancellation fee and hassle (IIRC), which is why I won't be using them myself
AO Member

County: Edinburgh
I've been with AF for two years now, just going into my third. I had a non-fault accident in Feb, and my policy was due to be renewed on the 19th May. The settlement from the other guy's insurance co. came through 4 days after that meaning I lost 3 years no claims and had a claim against me. Then, it was reinstated to 7 years no claims and no claims against me. They then took the first installment by DD from my bank, for nearly £73 and as I am in my first 14 days, I can cancel on the "PRO RATA" basis. But they told me I'd have to pay £43 cancellation charges before getting my £73 back! Work that one out! I asked when I'd get my £73 back, to which there was no answer!

This is the last time I even consider using AF! Never again...They are a complete joke!

AO Traders

Member car:

Alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by G414SSO View Post
I've been with AF for two years now, just going into my third. I had a non-fault accident in Feb, and my policy was due to be renewed on the 19th May. The settlement from the other guy's insurance co. came through 4 days after that meaning I lost 3 years no claims and had a claim against me. Then, it was reinstated to 7 years no claims and no claims against me. They then took the first installment by DD from my bank, for nearly £73 and as I am in my first 14 days, I can cancel on the "PRO RATA" basis. But they told me I'd have to pay £43 cancellation charges before getting my £73 back! Work that one out! I asked when I'd get my £73 back, to which there was no answer!

This is the last time I even consider using AF! Never again...They are a complete joke!

Hi,
If you'd like to PM me your details I'd be happy to take a look into this matter for you.
With regards to cancelling a policy in the first 14 days though whilst insurers do cancel on a Pro-Rata basis in this period most insurers cancellation terms have a minimum set charge for the time on cover.
Regards,
Dan.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Vendors > Insurance Section > Adrian Flux Insurance

Tags
joke , pro , rata , refund

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page