17 year old trying to get insured on a 147 1.6. HELPPPPP!!! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Adrian Flux Insurance Looking for advice on insuring your Alfa Romeo?
Click here for an online quotation

(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 08-11-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Greater London

Member car:

147 1.6 Lusso

Help 17 year old trying to get insured on a 147 1.6. HELPPPPP!!!

Hi guys

Literally just passed my test in the 147

Bought myself a 147 two weeks ago today and and still head over heels with it. I had it registered in my mum's name for insurance. I ride into town on a my own Vespa daily so it's literally just going to be my weekend toy. My mum does have her own car but is prepared to go as the main driver and use her NCB on the policy where I will be added as a named driver as she will be driving the car more than I will, probably

I have had a quote through Aviva that works out at just over £2k/yr so doing monthly instalments will make it just under £200/month. I paying for it myself so obviously want the cheapest quote possible. Anybody got anyone they can recommend or has anybody out their kids on their policy on their 147 or something of a similar, unjustifiably high insurance group.

Any help GRATEFULLY appreciated as I can't wait to hit the roads!

Thanks!

Merlin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
I hate to say it but these days that almost seems reasonable for your age (one of the guys in the office 26yo has a 1.2 Corsa and he is paying £800 per year ...) ... if it's any consolation it will go down next year.
(Post Link) post #3 of 16 Old 08-11-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 1.6 Lusso

I feared as much. I wouldn't even mind doing the co-operative's young drivers scheme where they fit a black box to your cars. That what most of my mates have done and they're paying more or less the same as what I'm paying on the vespa. Unfortunately alfa's insurance group's too high
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin_m View Post
I feared as much. I wouldn't even mind doing the co-operative's young drivers scheme where they fit a black box to your cars. That what most of my mates have done and they're paying more or less the same as what I'm paying on the vespa. Unfortunately alfa's insurance group's too high
That's what one of my mates did for his son's car, it tracks your speed/corning ... it also gives you a "rating" of how good your driving is ... his wife also drives the car and she has a rating of "average" for her cornering
(Post Link) post #5 of 16 Old 08-11-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 1.6 Lusso

Haha well that's blatantly a lie! An idiot I know, wouldn't describe him as a friend of mine, did have his policy cancelled though as it tracked him doing 120 in a 1.something 206. Initially we all thought he was lying. Haha
AO Platinum Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0

Might want to find out if your mums NCD can be used on multiple cars. I know of a few people where the insurance company only gives it to one car and the other has none. Best to check as you don't want to get into trouble.
(Post Link) post #7 of 16 Old 08-11-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 1.6 Lusso

Yeah it can only be used on one so she is having to amend her current policy and so the premium on that is going to go up
AO Silver Member

Are you able to receive no claims bonus after a year being second driver? For a young driver thats probably going to be the most important thing you need. I've had my car since 17 (now 20) and I bit the bullet and payed 3k for my first year... Once I had that all important NCB my insurance went down to £1400.
When my sister passed I tried to put her as first driver, shes older by 3 years and best I found was £4k!! It's getting stupid for younger drivers to own a decent car now.
Another thing worth noting is if it will be just you driving the car, your better off being first driver with your mum or whoever as 2nd etc. It's seen as fronting otherwise.
AO Member

County: West Lothian

Member car:

147 1.6 TS LUSSO

£2000 isnt that bad my cousin tryed when he was 17 and couldn't get bellow 4K, i got a quote on a comparison site i'm 19, licence for 2 years and a PC30 ( stopping on a pedestrian crossing) for 1800 that's 3rd party on my own policy with my 18 year old sister as the second driver (drops it by £400) pound this is on a 147 1.6 TS Lusso
AO Member

Buy the cheapest crap car you can find, tiny engine, MOT or not and insure yourself on that (your moped may do the job), keep that going for a few years to keep up the no claims while you keep on your mum's insurance.
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex
Admiral are usually the best company to insure Alfa's to young drivers.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperationAlfa View Post
Admiral are usually the best company to insure Alfa's to young drivers.

I was talking to a "young guy" in the pub last night (23 yo) ... obviously about cars ... he has some group 17 renault (1.6 petrol turbo) and uses admiral and his insurance was about the same as mine!!!!
(Post Link) post #13 of 16 Old 09-11-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 1.6 Lusso

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLM3CFC View Post
Are you able to receive no claims bonus after a year being second driver? For a young driver thats probably going to be the most important thing you need. I've had my car since 17 (now 20) and I bit the bullet and payed 3k for my first year... Once I had that all important NCB my insurance went down to £1400.
Which company was is this with SLM3CFC? I'm only really going to be driving it on the weekend so chances are, she'll be behind the wheel more than I will as her 7.2L Plymouth's returning about 17mpg on a run and 10mpg around town...

Just spoken to Admiral and they won't touch me for less than £21k/yr! Haha
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 156Chris View Post
I hate to say it but these days that almost seems reasonable for your age (one of the guys in the office 26yo has a 1.2 Corsa and he is paying £800 per year ...) ... if it's any consolation it will go down next year.
errr that is because he's bought a chavs dream. So it sits hi on the list for accident damage etc. I'm 26 and have a 156 GTA for less that £600 so what does that tell us TBH merlin M you might want to consider it's bigger or older brother. The 156...especially sw and JTD is seen as an old mans car so you can get good deals even though they'll wipe the floor with the TS. Also I had a 155 1.8 at 18 which is also seen as a bit of an old mans car. Got that for £800 first year so it can be done. Avoid hatches IMO

BMW E12 M535i, JC racing diff, Gaz coilover, Powerflex.
Alfa 156 GTA, Q2, Super sprint, CF2, EQ, KW coilovers, Eibach rollbars, Powerflex.
GitList Member but not as high as Keithy! No Gibbo....I don't need a haircut AO Troublemaker! You have been warned
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin_m View Post
Which company was is this with SLM3CFC? I'm only really going to be driving it on the weekend so chances are, she'll be behind the wheel more than I will as her 7.2L Plymouth's returning about 17mpg on a run and 10mpg around town...

Just spoken to Admiral and they won't touch me for less than £21k/yr! Haha
Started with Quinn then jumped ship to Aviva.. Great prices but poor customer service.. I found myself constantly calling up because they kept messing me about.

In times like these, your quote isnt too bad
(Post Link) post #16 of 16 Old 16-11-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

147 1.6 Lusso

Thanks for all of your help guys. Got insured with Aviva last night and works out at £195/month gonna put a strain on my cash flow a bit but will be in full time employment in 6 months so shouldn't be too bad then! Would recommend to anyone in my position. Saved myself £2k by "owning" another car - no t&cs or questions over the phone about whether or not I'm insured on my other car - which I'm not. Also able to rack up my own no claims as named driver but can only use the NCB with Aviva for the first few years - clever! Despite what I'd been told, so far, customer service was excellent. Going in for respray in 2 weeks to really bring the cars looks back to life. Very happy boy.

Thanks again. M

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Vendors > Insurance Section > Adrian Flux Insurance

Tags
147 , helppppp , insurance , insured , year

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page