Worst renewal quote ever? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Adrian Flux Insurance Looking for advice on insuring your Alfa Romeo?
Click here for an online quotation

(Post Link) post #1 of 24 Old 06-03-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Greater London
Worst renewal quote ever?

I'm with Aviva and currently fully comp for £1200 on my Alfa 147 1.6.
Renewal comes in and I find it's gone up by £200. 1 year older and 1 year no claims to add to previous one and it's gone up by £200?

Just had a read through again and it actually said £14,569.87
On top of that it says I have 0 no claims bonuses I should have 2 now.
I had a non fault accident and was told nothing will be affected.
Really tempted to get rid and buy a push bike.. Can't stand giving money to them thieving gits!

Who else had been hit with a *@#* quote?

p.s was looking forward to getting a GTV/GT within a few months aswell on p/x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Northamptonshire
I went with More Than last year and due to old age and 7 years no claims bonus paid £240.......just got a renewal quote from them on same car and another years no claims and it's £362........a 50% increase......

Yesterday I went on a comparison site and they said More Than would be £272......will be ringing them tomorrow to ask what the hell is going on .........
A quote from Hastings was £231 so unless More Than match that I will be changing companies.....
(Post Link) post #3 of 24 Old 06-03-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

£231 sounds like a bargain
Can't wait to get those kind of quotes. Being without a car for a year or two is going to suck.. I refuse to buy an insurance friendly car!
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLM3CFC View Post
Can't wait to get those kind of quotes.
Like I said, you have to be old to get those quotes..........

Would gladly pay twice as much if I could halve my age.........
AO Platinum Member

County: Hertfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu GTV View Post
Like I said, you have to be old to get those quotes..........

Would gladly pay twice as much if I could halve my age.........
I'm paying four...something can't remember exactly.
I found my insurer left my broker, and the next best they could do was extortionate. I bet if you shop around, find a different broker, you will end up with the same insurer and a better quote.
I was insured by sabre for 7 years by 6 different brokers
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjenha View Post
I bet if you shop around, find a different broker, you will end up with the same insurer and a better quote.
Been doing that Anj......that's why I will be speaking to them to find out why a comparison site offer me cover with More Than £90 cheaper than the renewal quote they have sent me.........it just doesn't make sense at all........
K9d
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
Quote:
Can't wait to get those kind of quotes. Being without a car for a year or two is going to suck.. I refuse to buy an insurance friendly car!
Have you tried getting other quotes ?

I hate Aviva and would never use them even if they gave me free insurance.
(Post Link) post #8 of 24 Old 06-03-11 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9d View Post
Have you tried getting other quotes ?

I hate Aviva and would never use them even if they gave me free insurance.
I'm looking around right now but getting 6k upwards because I have 0 no claims (Should have 2). Aviva said my accident last year resulted in me being at fault although I was hit from behind and I wasn't charged a penny for anything because it wasn't my fault.
Can you change claim outcomes after they have been decided?
Right now I'd be chuffed to find a company match my current policy (£1200)
K9d
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
Quote:
I'm looking around right now but getting 6k upwards because I have 0 no claims (Should have 2). Aviva said my accident last year resulted in me being at fault although I was hit from behind and I wasn't charged a penny for anything because it wasn't my fault.
Mmmm, sound familiar I was insured with Aviva, was hit from behind whilst stationary in a line of traffic.

9 months later at renewal time my premium had quadrupled, seems the other guy had denied it but that was the first I had heard of that.

They did say I could pay the £85 that it had cost to have my car checked, I politely told them I wouldn't because I hadn't done anything wrong. None of my dealing with them were helped by the fact that their call centres are in Delhi and I could hardly understand a word they were saying.
AO Silver Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Quote:

this is what really irritates me, a 147 1.6 *is* an insurance friendly car, and should be cheap to insure.... damn, I was driving a 5 litre V8 Chevy Camaro when I was 23, and a cortina V8 hotrod when I was 19!

cant even conceive of that sort of thing these days at that age... everything has changed so much
GTA_Nigel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu GTV View Post
Been doing that Anj......that's why I will be speaking to them to find out why a comparison site offer me cover with More Than £90 cheaper than the renewal quote they have sent me.........it just doesn't make sense at all........
They're all out to get as much money out of you as possible once you sign up with them. I was with Adrian Flux, I am supposed to get "up to 15%" discount as an AO member and also a 25% discount because I have done an advanced driving course through a company that has an arrangement with AF. Yet the renewal quote they sent me was extortionate, and when I checked online, their online quote was about £150 CHEAPER than the quote they gave me with all the discounts included! Madness! Still went with a competitor because AF were still very expensive.

Cheers,

Nigel

AO Member

County: Aberdeenshire
Depending which Alfa you are insuring & if you aren't driving it loads you could give classic insurance a go. If it's 10 years or older alot of companies will let you insure it. You will need the use of a second car though & you will not earn no claims bonus on a classic policy but it could be as low as £100 for a year.
AO Platinum Member

County: Hertfordshire
I would question your no claims

My parked, empty, car was backed into by a third party. My insurance quotes the following year went up about £50 but I kept all my no claims. Which is right, right?
AO Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

166 F/L

aviva £310 full no claims no accidents renewal £810 didnt bother finding out just moved, did a joint policy with the better half,s fiat ugly £470 does any of it make sense
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

Age 36, 10 yrs no claims....aviva renewal has gone up about £150 to £850. Insurance getting ridiculous now.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 643
County: Kent
I am completely baffled by the insurance industry, A few years ago I spent 5 hours calling different insurance brokers / co. Nearly each and every time they quoted the same insurer I was with ( Axa ) in the end I halved my renewal premium with the same broker / insurer
My son was involved in a total loss in August ( he was about to earn the full NCD this month on their accelerated bonus thingy )
We have a new Mito 135..... it is cheaper to insure it in his name,20 year old, ( with old farts as named drivers ) than to use my fully protected 60% NCD

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's this day to day living that wears you out. Anton Chekhov.
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

This does make me feel better. Last year my insurance renewal for the GT was £780. This year, having had one accident that wasn't my fault and I didn't pay a penny to have repaired, and also picking up three points for speeding on the motorway, Admiral wanted £1200. I rang them up and said I couldn't afford it and got it down to £920 which I've agreed to pay. Still a hell of a lot, but the national average is apparently now £1000, so I don't feel TOO bad....
CobolMan

Will be interested to see what mine goes up to. It was £340 last year with 7+ years NCB (no accidents for 14 years), protected NCB and class 1 business use. But I have had a bump (before that renewal but not settled until October) which I've had to accept fault for (insurance co couldn't be bothered to argue my case) - online quotes range around the £450 to £600 mark. I guess I'll be hitting the phones prior to renewal - any recommendations?

GTA_Nigel

All of them. They just seem totally random.

Cheers,

Nigel

AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire
im 46 now with as much no claims as u can get and at renewal time last year i had a 156 2.4 jtd and insurance went up from £220 to £370 with same company, i rang them and asked if they had me down as been in an accident or something.......the lady said that insurance had gone up due to all the people who cannot drive in the snow.......i did shop around and got it for £260

they make no sense at all you would think if ur circumstances have not changed then the policy would be roughly the same!

oh a mate with protected no claims had a bump.....he was not expecting to pay more as his claims where protected..........ooooops £200 increase lol

Gary
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA_Nigel View Post
All of them. They just seem totally random.

Cheers,

Nigel
Nice summing up Nigel.......they know you have to have insurance and most people who get a renewal quote will probably think that loyalty to one company gets the best deal.......just the opposite I think.......
AO Member

County: Cardiff

Member car:

ford :/

2100 quid here how many miles do you tell them you do? Drop it as low as you can.
AO Silver Member

County: West Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gry B View Post
2100 quid here how many miles do you tell them you do? Drop it as low as you can.
drop it too far, and have a bump n your in trouble......mot shows your mileage! infact any lies u tell to get price down can come back to haunt you if u have an accident, be it your fault or someone elses

Gary
AO Member

County: Cardiff

Member car:

ford :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdseven View Post
drop it too far, and have a bump n your in trouble......mot shows your mileage! infact any lies u tell to get price down can come back to haunt you if u have an accident, be it your fault or someone elses

Gary
But how will they know how many miles i bought my car on, how do they know my mrs wasn't using the car as third party as we are both fully comp.

I'll take my chances.

If i have a crash and it is that bad, i'll set fire to the fec**r

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Vendors > Insurance Section > Adrian Flux Insurance

Tags
renewal , worst

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page