Rant about AF insurance, and changing vehicles. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Adrian Flux Insurance Looking for advice on insuring your Alfa Romeo?
Click here for an online quotation

(Post Link) post #1 of 23 Old 07-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Madness Rant about AF insurance, and changing vehicles.

On the 25th September 2010 I took out insurance on the Puma, the annual premium was £300 give or take a few pence for TPFT

Today I asked AF about swapping the insurance to my new car (BMW 528i SE). AF said that the annual premium for that car is £570 so to change over I have been quoted £223.04 until September 25th 2011

Here is the rub. Yesterday I went to an insurance comparison website, just to get a rough idea of what an annual premium on the new car should be.

The Cheapest Quote came in at £370 TPFT (compared to around £300 for the Puma)

Due to the Difference in price to change at AF and the cost of a new premium elsewhere, I decided to enquire about cancelling my policy and getting a refund for the remaining cover.

The amount that I am entitled to as a refund was £43
So Three months insurance would have cost me £257
(Surely £300 divided by 12 x 3 should be £75, plus an admin charge??)

Therefore I am now either stuck with paying the £223 to change, or taking out a new policy elsewhere for £370 and getting a Paltry £43 back from my current policy which I think is absolutely disgusting.

They have effectively locked me into paying over the odds to change over my vehicle.

I have used AF a few times in the past, but when this year’s policy runs out I can say for sure that they will not be getting my business, even if I have to pay slightly more elsewhere.

Giulietta 2.0JTDm (170), BMW 335i Cabrio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 23 Old 07-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Just found a site quoting £329 per annum for the Beemer. So providing I can get a FAIR price back for the remainder of my cover I shall be going elsewhere immediately.
AO Gold Member

County: South Lanarkshire
It drives you mental car insurance.....wind direction springs tae mind.

A while back parking in a driveway reduced your premium as it was considered less a risk..no one should crash into it.

NOW..if the bit in gthe paper is to be believed.

Insurance reduced if you leave your car in the street.....the reason..if its in yer drive..they break into your house to get the keys and steal the car...so if you park in yer drive it costs you more.

mah insurance is due soon...anyone know the prime criteria to reduce your insurance as leaving the car on the road is easy to do to save a few bob.

Pomeo

"Don't follow me,Follow the Highway Code "
AO Silver Member

County: Buckinghamshire
sadly not, the amount you are refunded is reduced on a sliding scale, so if for example you cancel after one month, you may get 90% of your premium back, if you cancel after 6 months, rather than getting 50% back it may only be 30%

so if you pay 600 per year, and have 3 months left to run, you wont get the full £150 back...
(Post Link) post #5 of 23 Old 07-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

To be honest I wasn't expecting to get the 75% back that I still have to run, but being offered 14% back for 75% of a years insurance takes the **** IMO.
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
To be honest I wasn't expecting to get the 75% back that I still have to run, but being offered 14% back for 75% of a years insurance takes the **** IMO.
fraid they have got away with that for years....easier to let it run and jump ship on renewal.

As guid and as much use as the FSCS.

Pomeo

Last edited by Pomeo; 07-01-11 at 13:16.
(Post Link) post #7 of 23 Old 07-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

In the past from other insurers I have always had a fair amount back, minus an admin charge of course which I would accept.

This time though, it seems to have changed and ripping-off at every opportunity seems the norm.
AO Member

County: Leicestershire
Garage
give them a call and ask them to change it over to the beemer on the cheaper quote offered online by another company (be honest and tell them the exact price and company that quoted it), some will use their common sense and match it, because their only going to lose your business if they don't which doesn't help them in the long term.
(Post Link) post #9 of 23 Old 07-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

I tried that ands they couldn't do it. To be honest I am pretty sure they know they have got me stuck.
AO Gold Member

Quote:
I tried that ands they couldn't do it. To be honest I am pretty sure they know they have got me stuck.
alrighty...change insurance to a pedal cycle get refund and then go.

Pomeo
(Post Link) post #11 of 23 Old 07-01-11 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomeo View Post
alrighty...change insurance to a pedal cycle get refund and then go.

Pomeo
I tried that with them before.

I changed from my 156 (Group 14) to my Puma (Group 12) and they kindly told me there was no charge.

I reckon to change to a pedal cycle there would be no charge as well.
AO Member

Garage
Try having a word with someone in Citizens Advice:
Citizens Advice *- the charity for your community
or/and Consumer Direct:
Consumer Direct
because it does seem overly excessive, like mentioned above, they normally charge an admin fee of £50ish but their taking the ****!

Failing that, find out how much it would be to upgrade on the puma to fully comp (providing this allow's you to drive other cars on a third party basis), if it's cheap enough do that and register the BMW in your g/f name or your dad's etc.
AO Traders

County: Norfolk

Member car:

Alfa

Quote:
On the 25th September 2010 I took out insurance on the Puma, the annual premium was £300 give or take a few pence for TPFT

Today I asked AF about swapping the insurance to my new car (BMW 528i SE). AF said that the annual premium for that car is £570 so to change over I have been quoted £223.04 until September 25th 2011

Here is the rub. Yesterday I went to an insurance comparison website, just to get a rough idea of what an annual premium on the new car should be.

The Cheapest Quote came in at £370 TPFT (compared to around £300 for the Puma)

Due to the Difference in price to change at AF and the cost of a new premium elsewhere, I decided to enquire about cancelling my policy and getting a refund for the remaining cover.

The amount that I am entitled to as a refund was £43
So Three months insurance would have cost me £257
(Surely £300 divided by 12 x 3 should be £75, plus an admin charge??)

Therefore I am now either stuck with paying the £223 to change, or taking out a new policy elsewhere for £370 and getting a Paltry £43 back from my current policy which I think is absolutely disgusting.

They have effectively locked me into paying over the odds to change over my vehicle.

I have used AF a few times in the past, but when this year’s policy runs out I can say for sure that they will not be getting my business, even if I have to pay slightly more elsewhere.
Hiya,

Please feel free to PM me your policy number and a contact telephone number and I will look into this for you.

Thanks
Dan
AO Member

County: Cheshire
Not going to criticise insurance companies but the differential in premiums is scary...

Did an AF quote when i got my GTV bearing in mind the following

45 yr old, no points, 8yrs NCD, advanced driver, civil servant. and the wife as well with similar...2.0 GTV TS

Comprehensive insurance cover + glass + free courtesy car + protected NCD and Green Card

AF £750/yr £400 excess

LV £243/yr £250 excess all the goodies included in protected NCD

Tell me why there is such a difference cos i dont know nor understand this....
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by michlo View Post
Tell me why there is such a difference cos i dont know nor understand this....
Its all about the balance of risks, so I'm led to believe. If an insurance company always tries to take a balance of high risk, high premium policies, and low risk, low premium policies. If it needs more high risk drivers, it lowers premiums for them, if it has too many low risk drivers with low premiums, it increases its premiums to them. Sometimes they just don't want your custom, hence the high price.
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

It's all down to where you live IMHO

Last edited by 156pilot; 12-01-11 at 19:45.
AO Member

I sold a car before and didn't replace it for a few months i phoned to cancel the insurance it was cheaper to pay the last two months at £27.15 a month or £75 to cancel
GTA_Nigel

I'll add to this rant. I've been with AF a while, I upgraded my policy a few months ago because I had the GTA converted to a 3.8. The increase for the remainder of the year was reasonable I thought. Here we are at renewal time, and a massive hike in the annual premium. How can that be when they only quoted me a few months ago for a revised premium on the 3.8 that now I am subject to a massive hike? Insurance companies really have no concept of customer care, they just try and screw you at renewal time!!!!

So what did I do? I went online to Go Compare of course and found a company specializing in performance cars that was significantly cheaper (and I mean significantly) than AF. Even the AF online quote was cheaper than what they quoted me! Do they think we are stupid? Well, obviously they do, I guess that was a rhetorical question.

Still, at least their lack of customer care has saved me money.

Cheers,

Nigel

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
AF insurance has just done the same to my girlfriend. Absolute daylight robbery. I have 2 cars i will never insure with them and she wont make the mistake of using them again. Such a shame.
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
Reading more closely I notice that the original poster changed car type. This is simply changing from a red car to a blue one. Same other than that. So af charge 175 quid more to insure a blue car than a red one. Joke.
AO Silver Member

County: Durham
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA_Nigel View Post
I'll add to this rant. I've been with AF a while, I upgraded my policy a few months ago because I had the GTA converted to a 3.8. The increase for the remainder of the year was reasonable I thought. Here we are at renewal time, and a massive hike in the annual premium. How can that be when they only quoted me a few months ago for a revised premium on the 3.8 that now I am subject to a massive hike? Insurance companies really have no concept of customer care, they just try and screw you at renewal time!!!!

So what did I do? I went online to Go Compare of course and found a company specializing in performance cars that was significantly cheaper (and I mean significantly) than AF. Even the AF online quote was cheaper than what they quoted me! Do they think we are stupid? Well, obviously they do, I guess that was a rhetorical question.

Still, at least their lack of customer care has saved me money.

Cheers,

Nigel
who is the insurance firm you found???
Gaz
Regional Support North
Is there a meet near you?

County: Lancashire
So AF seem to have previous in screwing over the customer it seems....
(Post Link) post #23 of 23 Old 31-01-12 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Looks like it.

Just to mention that I am now with Admiral, who have been brilliant.

If I did decide to change cars or carry out limited modifications, then they have said that there wouldn't be a huge difference in my premium.

Obviously after the last fiasco it was a concern, as I often don't keep cars for more than a full year.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Vendors > Insurance Section > Adrian Flux Insurance

Tags
changing , insurance , rant , vehicles

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page