Insurance quotes - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Adrian Flux Insurance Looking for advice on insuring your Alfa Romeo?
Click here for an online quotation

(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 03-07-10 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Staffordshire

Member car:

Saab 9-3 Aero.

Insurance quotes

I had my insurance renewal come through the other day, and well all i can say is im shocked.

I was previously with Privilage which last years quote was great at just over 500. this year they wanted, wait for it............................................. 1000 My misses was insured with Aviva when last month her renewal was 300 more. Now nothing has changed in our circumstance apart from we are a year older and now have a year more no claims which stands at 6.

I have know decided to use my AO memebership and called Adrian Flux, all I can say is im very happy indeed and with all the usual perks like, Protected claims, courtesy car, windscreen, key fob and legal cover, i have paid less then last year.

Anybody else had crazy renewal quotes? They told me and the misses that its down to the economy and the amount insurance companies had to pay out during the winter months. I think thats a rubbish reason to charge me double.

We're human, when we want something that bad, we lie.

PS3 ID. chuffmonkey

3x AO GT5 champion

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyjae View Post
They told me and the misses that its down to the economy and the amount insurance companies had to pay out during the winter months. I think thats a rubbish reason to charge me double.
I think insurance companies look to actually make money on a particular customer from year 2 onwards. For new customers, they need to 'hook' you in with a super low premium offer knowing that they may well be loosing money in the short term.

The number of offers 'guaranteeing' to beat your renewal quote and draw you in with introductory offers is testament to this and why everyone always says, never simply let a renewal run its course - always shop around. Despite this, the insurance companies know a certain percentage of their new customers will simply renew and bingo - they make a mint.

Look out for RAC policies now - they don't just write to you with a renewal notice, they actually take the money automatically from your credit card; the policy small print says you need to write in advance and cancel the renewal before its due.

On the whole, I've always seen my renewals go up, but never double - seems a bit daft as smaller increases over several years will eventually see a 500 premium easily reach 1000 if left unchecked. Hitting you with it in one swift swoop is a bit harsh (though it might well be an 'experiment' to see how many of their customers leave instantly - these things do go on).

With a bit of effort, I'd say anyone could get a good quote on their insurance (relatively speaking of course; a 17yr old with a GTA is always gonna be expensive). Don't just rely on the price aggregators (e.g. MoneySupermarket), do the calling yourself and charm a good price out of the person your speaking to. UK call centre are best for this tactic.

I even heard that phoning an insurance call centre in the morning will get you a better price. Late the afternoon just sees everyone tired (big lunches?) and nearing the end of their shift and they'll be buggered if they wanna spend 20 minutes bartering with customers.
AO Silver Member

County: Aberdeenshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwall View Post
I even heard that phoning an insurance call centre in the morning will get you a better price.
This tactic didnt work for me. Just called AF to check the online quote i got from them. Going through the detail actually put it up.
I said I would leave it as they are way higher than my renewal quote, no offer of seeing what they could do for me, they just let the call end.

Will call my current insurer again to see if i can squeeze another 20 or so off the price
AO Member

County: Somerset
Another one for info to try for quotes is Chris Knott Insurance. I have just had my renewal and can't beat it like for like from anyone else and AF were around 70 more as well. More than last year but still the cheapest for me...give them a try. AO discount for members as well.

County: East Sussex

Member car:

Ford Galaxy

Unfortunately, rates are increasing across the board at the moment - in some cases we've seen insurers wanting a 40% increase over last year's premium.

Historically, insurers have invested their earnings and made a profit on the investments (which meant they could afford to 'buy' business in at a cheap rate). Now they're obtaining the business at a loss and the investments aren't performing.

They have no option but to up the ante. They have been warning the industry that this needs to happen for at least the last 2 years and now we're seeing it coming through.

Remember though that while price is king, you should also select a good quality provider who is going to do their best for you and offer service, advice and support.
AO Member

County: Buckinghamshire
The comparision websites aren't the best place to get the keenest deals these days, and where you'll find them really does depend upon you're driving history (accidents & speeding tickets) where you live and your job.

Certain insurers favour certain profiles and while they are cheaper for one group they could be the most expensive for another.

I always end up changing my insurer every year because of the cost creep and found some cracking deals at wait for it.....

Direct Line & the Co-op, and they aren't on a comparison website but there prices were over 50% cheaper than my existing insurers renewal quotes
AO Member

Garage
Well for the first time, I used a comparision website for my insurance and they turned out to be waaaay cheaper than anyone I called direct. My details (mods to car, annual mileage, etc) will changed from the previous year so my renewal from my current provider wasn't accurate. After calling them, I knew I'd have to switch...

After a few minutes on Confused.com, I found a policy from Admiral to be the cheapest. Moreover, it was pretty easy to adjust things (i.e. add a named driver, adjust annual mileage, inc. mods) to see how it affected the premium.

In the past, I've never bothered with such things always going direct and haggling, but this year, it didn't work I'll admit, the market seems to have changed and costs are up and the best deals (IMO) are via aggregators.
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwall View Post
... the market seems to have changed and costs are up...
And... No longer include cover (by default) for accidents involving uninsured drivers

This was an extra 30 quid (which I didn't bother with) but worth checking the small print of your policy if you've been given a particularly keen price (along with whether legal costs are covered, courtesy cars included, breakdown cover, EU cover, days with an 'R' in, acts of God, acts of terrorism, torrential rain, plagues of locust...)
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
My 1.9 JTD cost 300 fully comp. When I changed to the 2.4 they wanted an extra 97 for the last 8 months the policy had to run, so I reckoned on an annual policy of 430 or so. I got the quote yesterday 825 Well OK the 1.9 was written off and I do have a protected NCB, but the premium was loaded because of the accident. Thanks AF.

An on-line quote from Liverpool Victoria declaring mods and both recent accidents - the "other one" was when the rock leapt out at me was 560 including protected no claims, hire car etc. Still a lot but the 2.4 is a stupidly high group.

Brilliant Blue 156 GTA SportWagon

2011 Ghiaccio Bianco 159 2.0 ltr JTDm Lusso SportWagon
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
Beat this from Admiral:

Type of cover : Comprehensive
Manufacturer : ALFA ROMEO
Model : 156 VELOCE JTD (175)
Driver(s) : Insured Only Driving
No Claims Bonus : 9
Term : 12 months
Class of use : Business Class 1
Total Premium : 1157.30
AO Silver Member

County: -
I can beat that, I got a quote last time of 1200 with a 1000 excess from performance direct. That's full no claims, comprehensive for sd&p with an 8000 mile limited mileage on it.
Bear in mind I'm actually now paying 216 fully comp, protected ncb with the missus as a named driver. Thanks aviva :-)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Vendors > Insurance Section > Adrian Flux Insurance

Tags
insurance , quotes

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page