Quinn insurance in admin after we renewed. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Adrian Flux Insurance Looking for advice on insuring your Alfa Romeo?
Click here for an online quotation

(Post Link) post #1 of 36 Old 15-04-10 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Quinn insurance in admin after we renewed.

My other half had a letter 3 weeks ago from Quinn direct, as her insurance was due for renewal. It was a decent price so we paid up for a years cover.

A letter was recieved today saying that her insurance was due to expire on 03/04/10 (her old expiry date) and that they were not accepting new policies. This letter was dated 09/04/10 and it also said all existing policies would be honoured until they expired.

Despite her paying the money she has yet to recieve her certificate for this years insurance. We called them and they said to ignore the letter saying that they were in administration and a certificate would be recieved soon. We didn't renew the policy as soon as we got the reminder, as she was waiting for her pay day but they called her virtually every day and sent letters asking her to renew her cover, yet now we have paid we have recieved nothing.

So despite the fact we have paid for the cover we have no idea if the car is actually insured or not, we have no certificate of insurance and we are both relying on the car for work as I have sold my GTV.

What do you people think? She has proof that she has paid for her cover, a bank statement showing money paid to Quinn direct for the exact amount shown on the renewal note. Although technically we are in the right we still feel uneasy about driving the car until we know for sure.

Simon.

Giulietta 2.0JTDm (170), BMW 335i Cabrio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

Yes, I think you are wise to be wary when driving the Car, if you go through one of the many ANPR Cameras around, it may flag you up as being uninsured, and not being able to provide a Certificate of Insurance, could have a devasting effect of the Police taking the Car off you, and impounding it. Be VERY careful Folks, try and get a DEFINITE answer before taking the risk !!!!!.......
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

Actually.......

Come to think of it, I recently taxed my Car online, which showed I WAS insured, wonder if its worth you trying to tax your Car again, see if it will show up you ARE insured. Just a thought !!!.......

Good Luck.......
(Post Link) post #4 of 36 Old 15-04-10 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

I don't think you can do that unless your tax is due for renewal.

What I will do is get her to print off a copy of the renewal note, along with a copy of her bank statement, and carry them in the car along with the letter saying they are in admin.

I have no choice but to use the car, as I haven't got enough money to take out another policy, and I need it for work.

She did pay on her Visa debit card so she should be able to get the money back, however that is no good if the car is unisured and we have a bump.
AO Silver Member

County: Greater London
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLM3CFC View Post
Excellent post there, lets hope it works for Symon.......
AO Gold Member

County: Durham
Quote:
I like this.
(Post Link) post #8 of 36 Old 15-04-10 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Nope it is not on the database.

No choice but to use it tomorrow.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
Sadly, that probably means you are NOT insured. I just tried mine and it came up O.K....

Best advice I can think of, is to insure it ASAP online now, and try and get your money back from the Credit Card company. Otherwise you run the risk of losing the Car, and some points on your Licence......

Be careful indeed......
AO Silver Member

I don't know how these things work but considering you've payed, If you get stopped what can they do.
Quinn are breaking a contract although they are in admin.. don't really no where im going with this so ill stop lol
(Post Link) post #11 of 36 Old 15-04-10 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Right just spoken to them. They are updating the database with her details.

Aparrently they cannot take on buisness after the 09/04/10 but as we took out the policy before then we will be covered in the usual way until this years cover runs out.

The car will be on the database tomorrow aparrently, but I believe it when I see it..
AO Member

County: Greater Manchester
IIRC the regs have recently been changed. Insurance companies used to have 2 weeks to update the MID but I believe this has just been reduced to 1 week. Could be wrong about that but it should deffo be on within 2 weeks.
AO Platinum Member

County: Northamptonshire
Quote:
Excellent.....didn't know that site existed..........
0of0

Tricky one Simon

A client of mine is in the same boat (different kind of insurance)

What gets me, is how an insurance firm isn't making money?

AO Gold Member

County: Brokopondo
Sy, legally if they have taken the money from your account they are responsible.
either to provide you with their insurance (Which they can no longer do! FSA has revoked their license) or provide insurance from another underwriter.
(Post Link) post #16 of 36 Old 15-04-10 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EauRouge View Post
Sy, legally if they have taken the money from your account they are responsible.
either to provide you with their insurance (Which they can no longer do! FSA has revoked their license) or provide insurance from another underwriter.
I hope that is correct.

I also hope they update the MID before we get stopped. The missus told me that she drove past a camera van earlier today so we may get a letter in the post...
AO Gold Member

I would call them again and record the conversation.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 643
County: Kent
Symon this is from the Quinn website :
Good Luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Quinn.jpg (99.4 KB, 38 views)
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

147 JTDm Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by EauRouge View Post
Technically you are right there Mr Rouge.........

BUT, and its a HUGE but, the Police WILL take the Car off you at the side of the road, if you are NOT insured OR do not show up on their database when stopped. It's happening a LOT more than people think in fact. I don't know what its like Nationwide, but the ANPR Cameras are out here about once a week nowdays, and many Cars are being impounded. Its a damn good money spinner all round I can tell you !!!!!........

Lets hope Symon is not one of the unlucky ones........
AO Gold Member

The Quinn group has been in trouble for some time now! however! the founder began in Insurance and that was where he made his money. His problems came when he diversified the company in property among other industries(& invested heavily into the Northern Ireland Property Bubble). My understanding is that Quinn insurance is a viable/profitable company yet the FSA are playing hard ball with him. They have prevented him taking on any "New Customers" yet existing customers are still covered. I guess the fact that the company is permitted to renew existing customers is good news? but! only the FSA can decide that. They have been trying to liquidate the company but! Sean Quinn has been fighting them tooth & nail and has proven it is a viable part of the Quinn Group.
(Post Link) post #21 of 36 Old 15-04-10 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Thanks guys. The car has been driven for the last 2 weeks without being on the database and we haven't been pulled yet.

However we have got copies of her bank statement to prrove that we have paid the premium, along with the renewal note (to prove the amount) and the letter from Quin about the administration.

We can can prove that the insurance has been paid. I could do without the car being impounded though as we wouldn't pay the fees due to the car not being worth that much.
AO Gold Member

With what you have Simon, you should be fine. The Police records are often not upto date and they will readily admit that themselves.
AO Silver Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post

No choice but to use it tomorrow.
Not all insurace companies show up on that (especially Irish ones), my old one didn't. Luckily the police have a more accurate database.
AO Silver Member

Im sure quinn show up on there because i was with them last year, unless they are can't be bothered to put it up anymore
AO Member

County: Greater Manchester
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10,500RPM View Post
Not all insurace companies show up on that (especially Irish ones), my old one didn't. Luckily the police have a more accurate database.
They don't. That site is the Motor Insurance Database and is the only database the insurance companies are required to keep updated. Maybe the public enquiry part of the website is not as accurate as the access the police have, but I can't see why that would be the case. Also symon, I don't want to scare you but proof that you have paid for your insurance, is not enough, especially as you are aware that there is a possibility that you are not insured. It wouldn't stop the police confiscating your car. They are only interested in the fact that you are legally insured and your only proof would be a certificate of insurance or inclusion on the MID. There was a spate of non existent insurance companies selling false motor insurance policies a while ago. People genuinely believed that they were insured but that didn't save them the from the attention of the police. I really hope everything works out alright for you. Hopefully you are insured and your insurance company has just been delayed in registering your policy with the MID and sending out your insurance certificate. If your car is not on the MID tomorrow, I'd try and contact the FSA and get their input. Good Luck

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Vendors > Insurance Section > Adrian Flux Insurance

Tags
admin , insurance , quinn , renewed

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page