This is depressing me. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Adrian Flux Insurance Looking for advice on insuring your Alfa Romeo?
Click here for an online quotation

(Post Link) post #1 of 11 Old 29-09-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Glasgow
This is depressing me.

A Taxi driver hit my wife’s car about a month ago. He swerved into her on the M8 when she was in the right hand lane. Lucky all the damage was isolated to the door and his tyre marks are all over it.

They pulled over and exchanged details. The fair in the back was a young lad and he said he was not observing the road.

I was just going to pick up a door from a breakers yard and ignore it has there didn't seem to be much damage.

The taxi driver as decided to claim against us, He is using a no win no fee claims firm, he has decided to rent out a taxi (because his has a paint scratch) and suddenly the witness has had a brain wave and knows my wife is to blame!

Not liking my odds I immediately suggested knock for knock and because I would have sold the car round about now to fun our house purchase. They rejected this. So I was given a copy of the independent witness statement AND ITS A COMPLETE FABRICATION!

It states that my wife hit them while trying to take a Motorway exist that was four miles away from her exist. And about ½ a mile down from the accident. I wrote a fairly compelling statement disproving his statement point out that if we where on the slip road we could not have exchanged details on the hard shoulder and a few other irregularities.

The frustrating is every communication we give is about two or three pages relaying as much information as possible. But the other party just seems to write about three lines and it passes as a statement?

I've never had somebody claim against me. It’s really got me nervous and angry.

What is a claim firm game? I take it they are renting him the Taxi so are they just wanting to argue every point while ringing up a massive bill?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mymatemarmite

Sorry to hear this. IMO most Taxi drivers are a bunch of ******s....certainly most that I cone across on the road are. Are your insurers acting on your behalf? I'd get a solicitor invoved, show them you won't back down on this, afterall , why should you.

AO Gold Member

County: Brokopondo
If their tyre marks are on your passenger door as i understand!? Then its end of story! for them that is as it proves they drove into you!
AO Gold Member

Stu, have you had any luck as regards these toerags? These are among the reasons why we pay huge insurance premiums in UK! next too uninsured.
(Post Link) post #5 of 11 Old 06-10-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Yeah. Its all long winded, They say that with the evidence it will not lead to either party being held liable and the it will probably go 50:50 or 60:40 etc. I was trying to say that paying 50:50 now is going to be cheaper than paying 30% two months later as the claim will be much larger.

But they seem set in it taking it a really long time. but I've found that I don't need to pay my insurance excess if I don't claim so I think I will just sell the Ford in the condition its in because this system just seems so useless

Lesson learned. I'm carrying a paper and pen in my car from now on and if I get hit and they say "sorry Its my fault" I'm going to ask them to write it down and if they refuse then I'm calling the police to the scene. and photographing every dam detail I can find!

Stuart
AO Member

County: Highlands

Member car:

Brera, Saab 9-3

Which part of the M8 was it? A lot of the city centre section of the M8 is covered by CCTV traffic cameras, is there anyway to get these checked and used as evidence to show it was the taxi drivers fault?
AO Gold Member

Unfortunate! i recommend a decent camera phone. And the first thing i would do is photo car in situ and get a pic of the other driver, if they start to arsey then alarm bells should ring and its time to contact the police. Once biten twice as shy!
(Post Link) post #8 of 11 Old 06-10-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratatouille View Post
Which part of the M8 was it? A lot of the city centre section of the M8 is covered by CCTV traffic cameras, is there anyway to get these checked and used as evidence to show it was the taxi drivers fault?
It by Junction 10 I've check no cameras. We reported it to the police when my wife went to work.

Trying not to think about it. It just gets me angry but there is nothing I can do nothing about it.
AO Member

County: South Lanarkshire

Member car:

500 TA, VW T5

He will be leasing out his "new" taxi, and (hoping) to bill your insurance company for the charge AND any damage to his car.
I would not be surprised if driver and passenger are also claiming for personal injury/ whiplash, which will also be billed to your insurance if you cannot disprove their claim.
Why didnt you claim the damage to your car, from his insurance company?
(Post Link) post #10 of 11 Old 06-10-09 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossolusso View Post
He will be leasing out his "new" taxi, and (hoping) to bill your insurance company for the charge AND any damage to his car.
I would not be surprised if driver and passenger are also claiming for personal injury/ whiplash, which will also be billed to your insurance if you cannot disprove their claim.
Why didnt you claim the damage to your car, from his insurance company?
Because ifs naff all! I found a new door for £60
AO Silver Member

County: Falkirk
Insurance claims in this country are a joke and sadly we are going the way of the American claims culture.

A few years ago I was sat stationary in a queue of traffic on the approach to the Forth Road bridge in my beautiful low mileage Fiat Coupe 20VT when a guy in a Volvo worth a handful of pork scratchings crashed into the back of me. I was sat still for so long I actually watched him drive up behind me and braced myself for the impact when I realised he wasn't looking what was happening up ahead. He immediatley jumped out and admitted it was his fault and that he was 'doing about 50mph when he hit me' and this was in front of about 4 witnesses. We exchanged details and all that and then next thing his insurance company send a letter saying it was my fault. To cut a long story short it went back and forward through the lawyers until it was at a stage when it nearly went to court and then it was settled in my favour. The year that this went on though I had to claim the repair to my car through my insurance so my insurance went up. The damage to my car was over £5000 worth as it had to be re-repaired after I complained about the poor finish by the Porsche repair centre in Glasgow who carried out the work.

The thing that annoyed me most however was that everytime my lawyer called me they kept trying to ask me if I had whiplash. I was fine but this is what they seem to try and get you to do to get more money out of folk. It makes you sick.

Stu, I hope you sort this out mate but from experience the people actually involved in the accident end up being exploited by the insurance companies. I suppose the best thing is that your wife wasn't hurt in the crash.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Vendors > Insurance Section > Adrian Flux Insurance

Tags
depressing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page